Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Part numbers, how to find? — Parallax Forums

Part numbers, how to find?

mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
edited 2008-01-09 00:26 in Propeller 1
I am reading an article in nuts and volts http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol1/col/nv25.pdf· page 259 and it mentions a

National Semiconductor LP2951 which is a 5v regulator with an on/off pin.

I search mouser for lp2951 and find 100 numbers but nothing from National Semiconductor. I look and can't find anything with on/off pin. I am not going to seach 100·datasheets looking for an on/off pin. ·

Can anyone recommend search tricks for mouser on how to find specific traits?

I.E. ·I want a 5 v regulator that has an on/off switch?

Does anyone have a database perhaps or spreadsheet with components they use I could get?

· As I get into this I find thousands of components and usually grab what is recommended by fellow propers. I have just realized there is a load of electronics info·on the stamp pages. I can handle the software side but since I was an electronics technician when 5 transistors on a chip was miraculous, I never did any design work and there is alot to learn.

·Again, thanx to everyone for their help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

Technologically challenged individual, Please have pity.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-01-08 17:34
    You may have better luck searching on DigiKey. Their search parameters tend to be more incisive than Mouser's, and their search engine is a lot quicker.

-Phil
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2008-01-08 17:34
    .... can barely read your font. maybe it's just my monitor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-08 17:39
    I just type "LP2951" in my google window.
    The very first link it suggests is this
    www.national.com/mpf/LP/LP2951.html
    I open it...
    100% success, took 4 seconds...
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-01-08 17:40
    did you check national's web seite ? www.national.com
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2008-01-08 17:41
    on mouser I searched for LP2951, 100 results, applied the dip8 filter 12 results. 6 of those were $4.00+ not using those. clicked on the top of the list's data sheet http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/LP2950-D.PDF. found one! I may have gotten lucky tho.

those are pretty cool. an Error pin also. cool!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner
    edited 2008-01-08 17:43
    Maybe I misunderstood...
    o.k. I typed "LP2951" into digi-Key
    I select "available" and "DIP
    there were 2 results one for 3V and one for 3.3V, both 100mA
    But I donot need one smile.gif
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2008-01-08 17:49
    Mosquito.

Try [noparse][[/noparse]http://findchips.com/avail]

You will found more than 20 distributors for that chip.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2008-01-08 18:03
    Yeah, now I have to deal with 200 vendors rather than only 100. I am having enough trouble getting an order together for mouser(only $25 so far). The more vendors the more difficult to keep track of parts.

Dgswaner: I cant find a 2950-d. I searched LP2951 and found 65 hits.

Desilvia: same again, "I don't need one but felt I had to type something"

Folks: The question is " How to improve search results" Only answer on topic is Phil. I guess I will switch to digikey on his recomendation. Thanks Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-01-08 18:09
    Findchips shows all the ones available from Digi-Key, as well as Mouser et al.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
    edited 2008-01-08 19:59
    Findchips.com sweet, thanx guys. I never heard of it before. Wouldn't it be nice if someone had a newbies page for stuff like this!!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• scottascotta Posts: 168
    edited 2008-01-08 20:24
    Try OctoPart, its like google for electronics:

http://octopart.com/
    edited 2008-01-08 20:39
    Thanx again, octopart I should be able to use that one for the airplane I am building. Thanx much for the input guys

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-01-08 22:15
    @mosquito, if you could understand that we try to HELP!
    It's not our fault that it will take you some time to start-up to things that are obviously all very, very new to you...
    Remember. "There is no king's road to microcomputing" (Euklides, 300 BC)
  • Mike_GTNMike_GTN Posts: 106
    edited 2008-01-08 22:23
    This is like me asking for someone to tell me where the shops are. Or like me asking for someone to look up a telephone number for me. Any way can someone find me a part number for a power trip LCD with a UK distributor. Internet is there and not so tough to use. I think this is a topic for the Sandbox.
    edited 2008-01-08 22:44
    This question was answered very well by quite a few people and is now officially closed. A newbie question for you?

·Senario:
    · I am flying from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and my alternator quits. Is there a system that will notify me off this condition and shut off my battery contactor and turn on my essential bus?
    · I would consider this a newbie question and not have to answer it unless I happen to be online when it is posted. There normally would be 5 answers in 1/2 hr. No sandbox remarks, no snide remarks.
    · God I wish I could know everything.
    ·I need a system that shuts down my battery

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (mosquito56) : 1/8/2008 10:55:10 PM GMT
  • Mike_GTNMike_GTN Posts: 106
    edited 2008-01-08 23:10
    <This question was answered very well by quite a few people and is now officially closed. A newbie question for you?>

You closed the question, we can now all sleep sound tonight. You asked a question that was not relevant to this particular Forum. How does or did your original question relate in the slightest to the Propeller. You had a problem being able to navigate a different companies web site. Easy solution either take it up with them, or possibly find
    a different supplier. I've not been nasty. Have simply offered you two different solutions.

Mike.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-01-08 23:18
    Now now, everyone, let's tone things down, no need to come to blows over this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-01-09 00:26
    LOL, i was just reading a post from one of the propellor gurus who shall remain nameless. He sent 7 msgs on how to use the search for parallax. This is getting so old.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔