Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using a thumb drive with the prop. — Parallax Forums

Using a thumb drive with the prop.

mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
edited 2008-01-08 19:03 in Propeller 1
· I noticed a bunch of software for the thumbdrive on the stamps pages. Not sure if that is the correct name. USB 2gig modules that cost about $15 now. I ordered the module from parallax last week and was wondering if anyone had seen any spincode for this module?
·· Also, are usb ports complicated to wire up? I have no idea how USB works. A point to wikki or something would be useful. Incorporating a 1 gig storage device is a must for my project.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

Technologically challenged individual, Please have pity.

Comments

• Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2008-01-08 16:25
    See this thread:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=696804

On the object exchange page are also spin objects for serial mode
    and spin objects for other datastorage devices.

http://obex.parallax.com/

regards peter
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2008-01-08 16:58
    Yep, that's why I ordered the drive. I saw this page and thought I would modify the drive for the prop. I am hoping maybe prop dos will help but I haven't got there yet. Just a prilimary shout in case I missed something. The link you gave me says "STAMP" in the first sentence.

· I have downloaded every object in the object exchange but I don't remember seeing this object for the prop. I don't want to re-invent the wheel so I thought I would check here if anyone had seen one. When I get to the point in my project where I will need the drive and don't find one first, I will share mine on the obex.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

edited 2008-01-08 17:06
    All you need to do is change the clock settings from

· _clkmode = xtal1+pll8x
    · _xinfreq = 10_000_000

to
    · _clkmode = xtal1+pll16x
    · _xinfreq = 5_000_000

then you can use it on the propeller demo board.
    The bundled test program uses spin stamp pins SOUT and SIN
    for debugging. On the prop board you need to use pins 30 and 31.

regards peter
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2008-01-08 17:10
    It says "spin stamp" which is a propeller based product.
    edited 2008-01-08 17:47
    ·I have looked at alot of bs2 code and find it somewhat simple to change to spin. I didn't go further because I don't have the drive yet but nice to know will only take a minimum of work to adapt for spin. You just made my day thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2008-01-08 18:01
    it is spin
    edited 2008-01-08 18:05
    sorry, to much info. Can you give me the name of the program?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2008-01-08 18:35
    Peter's first post in this topic contains a link containing a SPIN driver object. The Spin Stamp is a Propeller mounted on a Basic Stamp form factor.

So just download those Spin files and play with them. Peter is an excellent programmer and the object looks like it'll do everything you need. Just in case you need the link again: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=696804

Harrison

Post Edited (Harrison.) : 1/8/2008 6:40:19 PM GMT
    edited 2008-01-08 18:38
    Thanx for the info. I saw spin stamp and assumed stamp chip. Does Spin Stamp have a site? I am always looking for new toys.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-01-08 18:46
    The nice thing about the spin stamp is that it plugs directly into a Board of Education
    or any of the other boards also used by basic stamps. If you don't have any of these
    boards, you can use the propeller protoboard.

regards peter
    edited 2008-01-08 19:03
    Got it thanx. Since I have never used the stamp I don't need the spin stamp. I only have an education board right now and I started with just the prop. I have just discovered the vast amount of info on the stamps forum. Since the programming doesn't apply I will just be using the electronics part of the stamps pages.

·I have downloaded all of Peters programs and will report as soon as my order comes in if you still want feedback on the program.

··

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔