Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SMT Practice Kits — Parallax Forums

SMT Practice Kits

Mike PopoloskiMike Popoloski Posts: 10
edited 2008-01-08 00:15 in Propeller 1
Does anyone know of any good SMT soldering practice kits? I've watched the excellent SMT soldering tutorials on SparkFun, but it would be nice to try my hand at soldering a few practice components before starting on live versions.

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-01-07 20:12
    Here's an inexpensive SMT kit: http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=SM200K

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • ToleyToley Posts: 16
    edited 2008-01-07 20:34
    This kit is the most complete and cheaper I've ever seen. We used them with our students.

store.sra-solder.com/product.php?xProd=6461&xSec=1&jssCart=d0566aea0f1724469c24b2576beac44a
  • Mike PopoloskiMike Popoloski Posts: 10
    edited 2008-01-07 20:37
    Thanks for the quick reply guys. Toley, your product is actually cheaper and looks much more feature-filled than Paul's, so I'll probably going with that one.

Thanks again for the help.
  • ToleyToley Posts: 16
    edited 2008-01-07 21:12
    Mike you just have to know that this is only a practice kit. It's not a working project.
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2008-01-07 21:18
    Practice-kit?

You don't really need one. The first time I did SMD, I was astonished how easy it was and didn't understand all the wining about.
    You've seen how to solder ICs on the video, that's about the only trick you need to know.
    A good regulated soldering iron with a small chisel-like tip, 0.5mm diam soldering wire, SMD-tweezers (not any one, but SMD, pointy ones don't work that well) and some extra flux (I do have one in a felt pen).
    And glasses, at least for me. Seems I'm old now. :-(

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO
  • Mike PopoloskiMike Popoloski Posts: 10
    edited 2008-01-07 21:32
    Thanks Toley, I understand that.

Nick, no matter how easy people say it is, I would rather do some practice first before working on the live thing. Getting confidence is key here, and that is much easier to do when you aren't worried about wrecking something.

Also, another question. My old soldering iron is very cheap and not even heating up very well any more, so I was looking around for a new one. The link Toley provided also sells soldering stations, and two of them looks to be good products for very reasonable prices. Can anyone comment on them, and give a recommendation on whether I should spend the extra 10$ or so on the more expensive model?

store.sra-solder.com/product.php?xProd=6145&xSec=22

store.sra-solder.com/product.php?xProd=6363&xSec=22
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2008-01-08 00:15
    > My old soldering iron is very cheap and not even heating up very well any more, so I was looking around for a new one.

The smaller one is OK for SMD, but if you want to solder through hole, buy the bigger one. Have heard about that manufacturer, but neither good nor bad.
    Look what tips you get here for!

I'd buy a Weller. wink.gif Mine is elder than 20 years. Wide selection of tips and different handles. Also, I'd prefer a simple knob, no digital display.

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO