Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop Plug kit — Parallax Forums

Prop Plug kit

Michael07Michael07 Posts: 12
edited 2008-01-08 02:43 in Propeller 1
I would like to build 10 prop plugs to save a little money. I could not find any Prop plug kit on Parallax.com
The FT232RQ would be a problem for hand solder. What is the NPN transistor?

Thank you.

Michael

Comments

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-01-07 19:05
    a simple 2n3904 will work for the NPN

The circuit posting in parallax.com/DiagramsSchematicsandImages/tabid/254/Default.aspx this page can be made with all through-hole components, but....... only works with a serial port, not USB

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller!

SD card Adapter
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-01-07 19:32
    The schematic of the Demo Board USB interface is available here (www.parallax.com/DiagramsSchematicsandImages/tabid/254/Default.aspx).

You will not find a Prop Plug kit because it's expensive to make when you already have the experience and facilities for making an SMT version. The board is smaller. There are fewer holes. The parts are often slightly cheaper. Kits also require the bagging of the proper number of the correct parts ... all manual work. They require much more support, particularly for soldering technique.

If you want to partially build your own, you could buy the FT232R portion from FTDI and build your own reset circuitry. FTDI has a nice USB cable serial adapter with "wire ends". It's essentially an FT232R built into the USB "A" plug and an attached cable that brings out all the necessary connections. There's a 5V signal version and a 3.3V signal version. Both bring out the 5V from USB so you could power your circuit from USB if you wanted.

It costs about $23. It's not much savings over the PropPlug, but you do have access to the USB power.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-07 19:36
    www.dontronics-shop.com/4d-Micro-USB-CE5-p-16685.html
    Quite nice, but has some disadvantages...
  • Michael07Michael07 Posts: 12
    edited 2008-01-07 20:41
    FTDI: are FT232RQ & FT232RL functionality identical? Because the FT232RL will be easier for hand soldering.
    Thank you to all. I am getting more familiar with this subject. This forum is a great place.
    I have more time than money and I want my friends to get involve by giving them something to start.

Michael
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-01-07 21:21
    The FT232RL will work in the same manner and is hand-solder able (I've done it) but would require either a custom circuit board, or a break-out board to solder it to.

Do those computers you want to use it on have serial ports? If money is an issue, the transistors and resistors that make up the serial cost only pennies a peice... that's probably the cheapest route.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller!

SD card Adapter
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-01-08 02:43
    deSilva said...
    www.dontronics-shop.com/4d-Micro-USB-CE5-p-16685.html
    Quite nice, but has some disadvantages...

And the disadvantages are .... ?