Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The Gridrunner driver and a question about the VSCL... — Parallax Forums

The Gridrunner driver and a question about the VSCL...

BamseBamse Posts: 561
edited 2008-01-23 03:28 in Propeller 1
Finally, I got my driver to work... devil.gif

It's based on the NTSC high color driver and an 8x8 tile driver...
Nothing really new...

However I put in tons of comments, explanations and references to the Hydra book so it might have some value for beginners like me. tongue.gif
I really tried to explain every step there was to generate the video signal.

One question though...
If I would just move 512 to the VSCL and not specify any clocks per pixel, what would waitvid output ?
For example,
mov VSCL, #512
waitvid My_Palette, My_Pixel_Data

Does it output 2 pixels since the clock per pixel (cpp) field is 8-bit and zero could be interpreted as 256 or does it automatically divide 512 with 16 for cpp and uses 32 for cpp?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
[noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
[noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
[noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
[noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
[noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse

Comments

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-01-16 07:43
    Hmm, that's a good question, I would say that no matter what that value is used as a divisor, so it probably would end up underflowing or overflowing and result in the maximum or minimum value that you could have put in there. But, obviously just try it. Ask Chip though, its his chip [noparse]:)[/noparse] Its' always hard to tell what things do when you use them in an unintended way. I remember this 3D engine I wrote for a FPS, my level designers where working on environments with the engine, I came in to see how things were going and I say curbs in the environment. I was like cool, how did you do that, they said they just set the high negative and then turn on this and that. Anyway, the result is that a very complex series of actions took place in my pipeline that when complete rendered the walls the correct way! Just like the propellers high saturation colors, there might be some cool tricks to expose by writing invalid numbers into the VCFG and VSCL registers. Very complex systems can have very cool results the designers can't predict even though they made it!

Andre'
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2008-01-16 16:40
    I did try it about a week ago and if you leave the Clocks Per Pixel to 0, it will be 256 clocks between pixels...
    Not very exiting, but maybe I should go back and try some of the "unused" bits, you never know...

Sorry I forgot to post the results...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.

/Bamse
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-01-16 23:49
    Yup, that's what I though it would do, since you actually did put something in there by not putting anything in there.

Andre'
  • phillip vphillip v Posts: 48
    edited 2008-01-22 22:33
    just got a chance to check out gridrunner and all I can say is WOW.... thanks for all the comments in the source,its very easy to understand that way.... I'm still learning and this realy helps alot....
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2008-01-23 03:28
    I'm glad you like it...

I got caught up in another project so progress is slow but steady... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse