Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No VGA out from HYDRA — Parallax Forums

No VGA out from HYDRA

StephenGStephenG Posts: 25
edited 2008-01-11 18:50 in Propeller 1
I got a HYDRA game programming board, book, assorted hardware, etc. for Christmas along with a Propeller education kit and an extra Propeller chip, proto board and some other stuff. I have been looking forward to working with the chip as it looks very interesting. I decided for my first foray into the world of the Propeller I would have a little fun and set up the Hydra first. A nice looking piece of hardware that seemed, on the surface, simple enough to set up. I decided to set up the interface through an available port on my KVM and fool with the audio after that. After making the appropriate connections (with a tested cable that came with the KVM), I fired it up. The KVM acknowledged the existance of the HYDRA and upon selecting the device with a button on the KVM, no video. Odd. So I checked to see if there was a selection switch. After moving the selector switch at J10 to on, I got the same result. The two blue LED's light when powering the unit on - and the amber LED illuminates when inserting the expansion card, but no video. I can't help but think I'm doing something stupid! I have not yet attempted to connect the RCA video. The crystal appears to be seated. I guess I'll go play with the education kit. Any suggestions?

Stepgen G

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2008-01-06 07:13
    According to page 30 of the Hydra manual, Parallaxaroids is preloaded onto the Hydra - and this game is designed to output composite video, not VGA. You'll need to load a demo that outputs VGA to try your VGA monitor.
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2008-01-06 12:49
    Yes, nearly all of the current programs for the Hydra use composite out not VGA. So give it a try with your TV.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Play Defender - Propeller version of the classic game
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK
  • StephenGStephenG Posts: 25
    edited 2008-01-07 06:50
    A TV, how quaint.
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2008-01-07 10:45
    StephenG said...
    A TV, how quaint.

It's a games console. Games consoles plug into TVs. Even the latest ones.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Play Defender - Propeller version of the classic game
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-01-11 17:38
    Just reading this thread now ... did you ensure that the _clkmode and _clkfreq settings were correct for the hydra as it has a 10MHz crystal whereas the Demo Board and proto board have a 5MHz crystal ..

So any non Hydra Specific sample program will not work until the adjustments are made - see below..

standard for 5Hhz crystal:

CON
    · _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
    · _xinfreq = 5_000_000

Hydra:

CON
    · _clkmode = xtal1 + pll8x
    · _xinfreq = 10_000_000

..... Just a thought..

Regards,
    ·········· John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-01-11 17:43
    QuattroRS4,

I've noticed in some of the Hydra sources that the settings are

_clkmode = xtal2 + pll8x
    _xinfreq = 10_000_000

But as the propeller's a pretty cool tough chip, and either ( xtal1 or xtal2 ) work just fine, [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I guess it was from the early days when they first got the Hydra's and the clock was out slightly?

Cheers,
    Jim.
    [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-01-11 17:57
    Baggers,
    Just had a peek there myself .. good catch !

Regards,
    John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-01-11 18:50
    No Probs John matey [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Yeah, it confused me the first time I saw different values, thought why is one xtal1 and one xtal2, were they from V1 and V2 of hydra?

Cheers,
    Jim.