Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-Bot Robot for Microsoft Robotics Studio with a Spin Stamp Microcontroller — Parallax Forums

Boe-Bot Robot for Microsoft Robotics Studio with a Spin Stamp Microcontroller

edited 2008-02-20 08:11 in Propeller 1
Updated for Microsoft Robotics Studio 1.5 (2/14/08)

In response to:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2412338&SiteID=1

SpinStampBoeBotControlForMSRSv1.5.zip is a Propeller microcontroller application·than can·be used with Microsoft Robotics Studio (1.5) BasicStamp2 services by making·a Spin Stamp·microcontroller emulate a BASIC Stamp 2 microcontroller running BoeBotControlforMSRS.bs2.·

The most convenient way to update your Boe-Bot Robot Kit for Microsoft Robotics Studio to test this application is by replacing the kit's BASIC Stamp 2·Microcontroller with a Spin Stamp Microcontroller and Propeller Clip programming and communication tool.· Then, download Bluetooth Boe-Bot Kit for Microsoft Robotics Studio v1.5.pdf, and follow the instructions.· Whenever·they call for a .bs2 file, use the .spin file with the same name.

Developers are encouraged to modify and expand this code and the corresponding MSRS services, and also to create new ones.· Especially since the Spin Stamp's Propeller microcontroller is capable of multiprocessing, there are a lot of opportunities for new protocols and services.· New protocols can utilize buffered full duplex serial communication and will no longer have to cater to the BASIC Stamp module's tendency to ignore serial communication when it's doing other tasks.· New services can utilize the Propeller microcontroller's eight 80 MHz, 32 bit processors, 32 k of RAM, and 32 I/O pins (on most modules) to monitor and control much more challenging, high speed, and complex robotic systems.

Most of the objects used in this application are variations of objects presented in the Propeller Education Kit Lab Series.· The Propeller Education Kit and some of the PE Kit labs are available from the Propeller Education Kit page at www.parallax.com.· Additional labs and applications (some of which are reused here), are available from the Propeller Education Kit Labs page on the Propeller Forum at forums.parallax.com:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=617192

For full Propeller microcontroller and language documentation, download the Propeller Manual from www.parallax.com.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Andy Lindsay

Education Department
Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 2/16/2008 12:13:48 AM GMT

Comments

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-01-06 00:53
    Andy, I gotta say that ever since Parallax redesigned its sales website finding stuff like the Spin Stamp has been a real pain in the butt. What a kludge. (my two cents)

I miss the text link page probably. Less noisy, and straightforward.·But then I like emacs too.

Post Edited (Fred Hawkins) : 1/6/2008 1:48:26 AM GMT
  • J.A.B.J.A.B. Posts: 13
    edited 2008-01-06 01:52
    I have to second that. The new system is harder to navigate. I never know if the one I am looking for is under Tools, Programming Kits or maybe Development Boards. And unless you already know about a product you easily miss it.

Post Edited (J.A.B.) : 1/6/2008 1:58:02 AM GMT
  • stampedstamped Posts: 68
    edited 2008-01-06 12:11
    Yep, I will third it. I have found it difficult to find things and especially the SpinStamp and where did those Servo extension leads go to?
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-01-07 10:03
    Sorry, but you'll have to add me to the list too.

In addition to the above issues, you seem to have dropped all info' on quantity discounts too (e.g. 10 x Propeller chip).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • Trevor TaylorTrevor Taylor Posts: 13
    edited 2008-02-20 08:11
    I just upgraded my Boe-Bot with a SpinStamp and had it running with Microsoft Robotics Studio in about five minutes.

Well done Andy! Now I just need to learn some more about Spin so that I can use the other cogs ...

By the way, the links to the Propellor Tool on the Propellor Chip pages are all to the old version 0.98. The Downloads page has the latest version 1.06.

Trevor