Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Are any french people here ? — Parallax Forums

Are any french people here ?

Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
edited 2008-01-10 14:24 in Propeller 1
It seems that there are members from UK, Germany, Belgium and other european countries but no french people here ?
The Propeller is nearly unknown in france with few distributors and users.
This may look a bit strange as Basic Stamps were largely used by french hobbyists , why not Propellers ?

Cats92

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-01-05 16:08
    I'm half-French (living in England) and am often in Paris (working). Does that count?

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-01-05 16:15
    Maybe they need to come up with French names for things like cog, propeller, SPIN before they can use it?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-01-05 16:35
    That's what I find strange about the French, they tend to use their own words for technical stuff but everyday items are usually spoken or written in "Franglais", despite efforts by the French government some years ago to discourage its use.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-01-05 16:50
    In a maybe an attempt to copy the French or to accomplish the same, the Spanish people, I mean from Spain tend to do the same. So the mouse is called in Spain for its Spanish name, raton smile.gif. We call it mouse, (I was born in Argentina). The same happens with loads of words smile.gif. We make fun of that, too much fun smile.gif.
  • Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
    edited 2008-01-05 17:07
    Well, it is ofen hard to use all this english names like cogs, spin or propeller, but i am against any translation : often they came with a lot of errors.
    Better to make an effort and read in english. The hard thing is to write in english without misunderstandings.

For the mouse we name it <souris> in french , but our former president Chirac named it strangely <mulot>· which is a sort of field mouse.

cats92.free.fr
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-05 17:08
    So many memories. ALGOL - a today rather forgotten language but of highest historic significance - was "translated" for the pleasure of French: "if" became "si" and "else" "sinon",.....

We had a similar tendency in Germany rooted in the proud of engineering of the powerful companies of that time (AEG, Telefunken, Siemens, Nixdorf) There is a full set of German technical vocabulary for all computer science - starting with that (="informatik"), going to computer ("Rechenanlage", French: "ordinateur") output ("Ausgabe", French "donne sortie"), interrupt request service (="Unterbrechungsbehandlung")... Ale is right: This is fun smile.gif

Post Edited (deSilva) : 1/5/2008 11:29:53 PM GMT
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,749
    edited 2008-01-05 20:03
    And we invent a lot of english sounding word, that cannot be understood, exept by merchandising people of Telekom, the former Deutsche Bundespost, like citycall, globalcall, etc. But what is a pullover in times of SIDA?

Not to forget: the control key (Ctl) was translated to "Steuerung" ("Strg") and then called "string" lol.gifsmilewinkgrin.gif
  • TiboTibo Posts: 81
    edited 2008-01-05 21:15
    To get back to the subject, I must admit it : I'm French.
    As you said there are only two distributors in France : Selectronic and L et Cie.
    And both dont offer the whole product mix Parallax does.
    (ex. No protoboard avaible...)

This can be an explanation.
    Here in paris, I sometime attend the Planete Science robotic forum : http://www.planete-sciences.org/forums/
    You will notice Parallax has some fans, but not that much compared to Microchips...
    I remember few years ago I helped a French studing engineering, while in internship at the Polytech. institute of Bucarest.
    He was having a hard time understanding the principles of the PBASIC, BS2 and the Boe-Bot the institute had.
    He had never seen one in Paris.
    So let say no doubt Parallax has a popularity in France, but its not the first controler any one would think of at first. But they do enjoy it quite fast.

May be some business action for Parallax to do in France [noparse];)[/noparse] ?
    ++
    edited 2008-01-05 22:03
    ErNa said...
    Not to forget: the control key (Ctl) was translated to "Steuerung" ("Strg") and then called "string" lol.gifsmilewinkgrin.gif

Last week a coworker called the Control key "string", that sounded strange. I was wandering what "Strg" meant. Thanks.

But I think some of this goes back to the time of "Knallgastreibling". roll.gifsmilewinkgrin.gif

Btw, Have anyone used AIX in another language than English ?, in Spanish it is terrible !
  • ToleyToley Posts: 16
    edited 2008-01-05 22:26
    I'm French but from Canada...
    edited 2008-01-05 23:24
    Distributers Middle Europe with full Parallax program: Try www.zerko.ch turn to Mr. Kolbicz kolbicz@zerko.ch directly. He is very cooporative. I don't know how many languages he speaks, but he is a Swiss smile.gif
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2008-01-05 23:26
    Ale.

Lo que es realmente divertido es oir hablar·en Español a un argentino. No sólo por el acento sino por lo americanizados (y me refiero a influenciados por los EEUU)·que están en su forma de hablar. Efectivamente los franceses han intentado forzar la nota con traducciones imposibles, pero hombre, me dirás que tendremos que decir 'maus' para referirnos al ratón?

También tendremos que decir 'computación' y 'computadora' no?

Sorry for posting in Spanish but I had a compelling·need to explain myself in my natural language.

Inaki.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2008-01-05 23:54
    I'm French Canadian, does that count?

--Andrew Arsenault.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Share the knowledge: propeller.wikispaces.com
    Lets make some music: www.andrewarsenault.com/hss

• TiboTibo Posts: 81
    edited 2008-01-06 08:50
    Thanks deSilva !
    I'll check that shop.
    ++
    edited 2008-01-06 09:06
    Sorry for the following :
    Inaki said...
    Lo que es realmente divertido es oir hablar en Espa
  • Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
    edited 2008-01-06 11:52
    Thanks deSilva for Zerko shop, they have clearly a larger choice than Selectronic in Paris.
    But prices may be rather high and it seems that french customs may add taxes (I remember heavy customs taxes for a purchase from Parallax last year )

JP
  • Reset_VectorReset_Vector Posts: 55
    edited 2008-01-06 12:12
    Of course there is french people here !!!

The Propeller is so amazing that it can be used by everyone, including the "Frenchies" !!!

Olivier
    edited 2008-01-06 12:14
    You have to pay the VAT which is considerable (!) more than any customs. They make a perfekt job when posting it, generally the post office will just collect the VAT on delivery without any fuss. The netto price can be payed by PayPal, there is a botton on all article "price in Euro". To know the end price just add the local VAT. The shippping is affordable, for small pieces even low (they send "letters").
    For the Prop chip itself or this wondersome VGA/mouse/keyboard connector for the proto board digi-key is a little bit cheaper IF you order >150 Euro to save shipping and handling

Post Edited (deSilva) : 1/6/2008 12:24:22 PM GMT
  • SuntzuSuntzu Posts: 4
    edited 2008-01-10 14:24
    Hi,

I am French too but I am living in USA.

I was living in PARIS (Nogent sur Marne).

have a great day.
    ··