Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"extra" Capacitor in the Kit — Parallax Forums

"extra" Capacitor in the Kit

bdickensbdickens Posts: 110
edited 2008-01-04 01:33 in Propeller 1
Just bought and assembled the Propeller education kit. I'm only modestly competent at hardware, but in the DIP Plus Kit, I have a extra electrolytic capacitor (25V .047 uF). I don't see it in the circuit, and I won't let my son plug in the power until I know for sure that it's not needed.

I am used to having a few extra bolts and screws from my car, but a lot less happy with extra components.

Is this cap needed ?

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-03 16:34
    I doubt that anywhere in the world will be another electrolyte below 0.1 µF.. Keep care of it smile.gif

Post Edited (deSilva) : 1/3/2008 4:39:42 PM GMT
  • Thomas StickneyThomas Stickney Posts: 23
    edited 2008-01-03 18:25
    Page 6 of the setup/test lab says to use the .47uf cap if a external DC supply of 6 - 9 vdc is used. It reduces noise in the
    power circuit.
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2008-01-04 00:53
    As a total newbie I can tell you that not putting caps in is rarely a problem. The curcuit might not work how you planned but you won't fry anything. I had the +5v out connected to ground for almost 5 minutes once. Hot transistor no damage. Just make sure you have the led connected thru the resistor and it lits. If that light goes real dim you have a problem. Disconnect and recheck. If it could have been fried I would have killed my prop at least a dozen times.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

Technologically challenged individual, Please have pity.
  • bdickensbdickens Posts: 110
    edited 2008-01-04 01:33
    Thank you all. I'm the polar opposite of Steve Ciarcia, who once said that his favorite programming language was solder.........
    I'll let my sone turn it on. Thanks again.