Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New SpinStudio Module - PropJoy — Parallax Forums

New SpinStudio Module - PropJoy

parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
edited 2008-01-04 17:57 in Propeller 1
I've just released a new SpinStudio module, PropJoy

This allows you to plug 2 Atari style joysticks into a SpinStudio or a Proto Board that's been modified as described in the Propeller Cookbook. This module, along with the Audio/Video module will give you a budget system for playing some of the great games that have been released on these forums.

So far I've successfully used Defender and Dodgy Kong with this setup.
Defender works great, and plays with sound (unlike using the keyboard)
Dodgy Kong works fine, but the "Start" button also pauses the game, with a 1 button Joystick, Start must also be jump, so it pauses every time you jump. Must comment out the pause code to make gameplay smoother. Also sound doesn't work unless you own the Hydra book and CD(Sound object that this game uses is only available on the Hydra CD)

On sale now at uController.com for $14.99

All other boards I have are in stock and ready to ship (although the ProtoBoard is running low, only 2 left until the next batch comes in)

Thank you all!

PropJoy.JPG

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller!

SD card Adapter

Comments

• kittmasterkittmaster Posts: 77
    edited 2008-01-03 04:23
    that is some pretty wild stuff......holidays are tough to design......I've been messin with my Wii..........its like crack!.....[noparse];)[/noparse]
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2008-01-03 08:51
    Good work parts-man73. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    That would make for some really fun game playing on people's SpinStudio setups.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Share the knowledge: propeller.wikispaces.com
    Lets make some music: www.andrewarsenault.com/hss

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-01-03 20:21
    Hi Bean, I see by your docs that this is a solder-it-yourself item. You do include the chips, yes?

Reading up on the 4021 chips led me to this delightful bit of prose from Harris Semiconductors:

"...data is serially shifted into the 8-stage register synchronously with the positive transistion of the clock line. When the PARALLEL/SERIAL CONTROL input is high, data is [b]jammed[/b] into the 8-stage register via the parallel input lines...."

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-01-03 20:54
    @ Ym2413a - thank you! some of your work is in those games that I mentioned wink.gif

@ Fred - Yes - everything pictured is included in the kit - 2x 4021 chips, 2x db9 jacks, 2x pullup resistor networks, and the 20pin female header

[noparse][[/noparse]sarcasm] I use the ST Micro 4021's, they don't jam the data like those Harris chips do. There's nothing I hate more than jammed data. Sometimes that can lead to magic smoke. [noparse][[/noparse]/sarcasm]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

SD card Adapter

Post Edited (parts-man73) : 1/3/2008 9:01:58 PM GMT
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2008-01-04 05:42
    I am really impressed with what you have put together at uController.com.
    I have a boebot for my son to get him interested in computer hardware & electronics, but I may be getting him a spin studio setup next.
    I have a sugestion, however. With 10 different modules you can plug in and only 4 ports, maybe you should make another. You could call it PropStack or SpinLink or something like that.
    It would connect 2 spin studio boards together, maybe using Beau's protocol, or a parallelized version of it or whatever.

Just my 10 bits worth.

Doug
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-01-04 12:09
    Aaargh poop! I'm working on a product I was gonna call PropSTACK :-( Any chance I can reserve that?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
    edited 2008-01-04 14:32
    hinv said...
    I am really impressed with what you have put together at uController.com.

Thank you smile.gif
    hinv said...
    I have a boebot for my son to get him interested in computer hardware & electronics, but I may be getting him a spin studio setup next.

I actually flirted with the idea of a SpinStudio Boe-bot module. Here's what I came up with --> http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=691174 That version mounts to a ProtoBoard that is mounted to a Boe-Bot chassis. It has 2 IR emitters and detectors, servo connectors and a piezo sounder. I've run PEKBot code on it and it works great. I also made some code that lets you drive it with a Sony TV remote. My kids played with it for hours. I made 2 prototype boards, if you'd like one, I could send it to you for your son, you'd need a Proto Board and boe-bot chassis to use it.
    hinv said...
    I have a sugestion, however. With 10 different modules you can plug in and only 4 ports, maybe you should make another. You could call it PropStack or SpinLink or something like that.

I designed the system to be instantly reconfigurable.
    • when you want to play games, you'd plug in the audio/video and PropJoy modules
    • when you want to do internet stuff, use the PropNic, mouse/keyboard and VGA
    • want a Demo Board clone? put the Keyboard/mouse, VGA, Audio/video and IO Servo modules together
    Usually when I use my own SpinStudio, I only have 2-3 modules plugged in at a time.
    In the future, when the Prop II comes out, I plan to make a SpinStudio board with 8 sockets (64 IO lines, 8 lines per Socket)

So you answer your question, I don't see a point in making a current generation SpinStudio with more than 4 Sockets.

Let me know if you want that boe-bot board!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

SD card Adapter
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-01-04 16:49
    @Brian: Another option might be to use a stack-through header? Not sure if there's one that'd fit the sockets on the mainboard, but I'd envisage the stack-through's having their pins in the air, ready to accept another daughter card (that doesn't use the same lines as the card below) [noparse][[/noparse]hope that makes sense!]

Of course; there may be clearance issues with components I guess :-(

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
    edited 2008-01-04 17:57
    Simonl said...
    Another option might be to use a stack-through header?

That's something that I did with the Xbee module that I sell. The SD card adapter can plug into a 6 pin header that I designed into the Xbee board. Since the Xbee uses 4 pins and the SD uses 4, it fits nicely on a 8 bit wide port.

Most modules use most if not all of the pins in a Socket though. VGA uses all 8, Audio/Video uses 6 out of 8 PropJoy uses 5 out of 8.....etc etc

without some sort of multiplexing, it wouldn't be possible to stack modules. With the signals involved in some of these Modules (video for instance) multiplexing isn't possible.

Not a bad idea when possible though....ty

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

SD card Adapter