Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
4DSystems' uoled-96 uSD question — Parallax Forums

4DSystems' uoled-96 uSD question

rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
edited 2008-01-07 14:02 in Propeller 1
Help!!!

UPS finally got through the Christmas blitz and delivered my long awaited uoled-96. None of the documents I can find discuss writing to and reading from the uSD card... and the democode I have from 4D doesn't have prototype functions or document the Prop pins corresponding to the schematic of the SD card interface found on page 8 in v. 1.1 of the User Manual.

is there any -96 specific uSD code around? Anyone have the Prop pin assignments?

Happy New Year!

Rich

Comments

• OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2008-01-03 04:40
    Hi rich.

Goto the www.parallax.com website and find that part.
    All manuals are there..
    It is a little odd that nothing comes with the display..
    Anyway all should be there..

cheers Ron
  • Brian LBrian L Posts: 60
    edited 2008-01-03 04:58
    Sorry I have no help to offer but I hope you have good luck with this because I'm anxious to read your observations on this device after you've had time to play with it for a while. So please post some opinions when you have them. I think this thing looks really cool and useful, and I'd love to hear more about just how cool and useful it turns out to be. Has anyone else out there used it already?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-01-03 04:59
    There's a version of FemtoBasic in the Object Exchange that has extensions for the uOLED-96 display and uses the uSD card. A great way to get started with it. That's already been used to run the uOLED-96 as a peripheral to an Arduino controller for an interactive art class project.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-01-03 06:22
    Oz,

I've been there... must be my tired eyes.

Mike,

I have the FemtoBasic version for the 96, which is one of the reasons I'm so exited about this little display. That makes this the smallest "basic" computer in history[noparse]:)[/noparse] Everything is in there... including the uSD stuff. It is the first place I looked. (BUT I didn't want to have a brainfart trying to understand it today[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Long term, the FemtoBasic is more important to me than this little project, but I've been waiting so long to hook up the 96 to my GPS module, I started playing with that... and of course, I'm having unexpected problems... so I've changed my hardware setup back to what I know works... and of course it doesn't work either... lah dee dah dee dah...

I'm going to bed before I break something.

Thanks guys,

Rich
    edited 2008-01-03 21:03
    Well, it WAS my tired eyes... After looking through Mike's Femto Basic for the 96 and finding the pin assignments, I then went back to the schematic and it was right there... miracle of miracles[noparse]:)[/noparse]

BUT I still don't see any demo code which shows writing to and reading from the uSD card on the 96... as there is for the 128 (which I tortured to death);

AND it looks like we need a one wire keyboard to go with Femto Basic... I've seen some discussion about this. We are one step away from a postage stamp sized Basic Computer... come on guys!!!

By the way, I just say the thread: "uOLED-96-Prop - Propeller Clock Speed Limitations." What a hoot!!!

For us slow learners, it doesn't hurt to hear... "cut yourself back to pll8x."
    (over, over and over again[noparse]:)[/noparse]

If anyone has some working code... writing to the uSD of the 96, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to give it a shot... but there are some things I don't know and I'm not entirely sure what they are[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanks again,

Rich
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2008-01-03 21:06
    Just download the standard SD/FAT routines from the object exchange, change the
    pin assignment in the mount command, and it should work just fine.

If you can't make it work easily from what's written there, let me know and I'll
    give additional details.
    edited 2008-01-03 21:18
    You are kidding!

Thanks,

Rich
    edited 2008-01-05 02:49
    Many thanks to Rokicki, I now have something that can do everything I want... almost.

I modified Rokicki's sdrw_test.spin for the oled-96 and of course the·display routines are a little different...· Everything works fine: I can read and write to the directory, create files and write to them... but when it comes time to read from them, I'm running into what I think is an ascii·type issue.· The display shows one character and even that one isn't· right.

The files open and show almost correctly in WordPad.

I suspect that I need something like a character to string conversion... if so, where do I buy one?

here is the offending code...

·· r := sdfat.popen(string("newfiley.txt"), "r")
    ·· oled.cls
    ·· ii:=0
    ·· jj:=1
    ·· count:=0
    ·· repeat
    ····· r := sdfat.pgetc
    ····· if r < 0
    ········ quit
    ····· count:=count+1
    ····· oled.Putchar (r,ii,jj,0, 255,255,255)
    ····· ii++
    ····· if ii >= 10
    ······ ii:=0········
    ······ jj++
    ··
    The full project is included with correct pinouts.

Thanks,

Rich
    edited 2008-01-05 20:19
    an assignment problem... fixed it[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-01-05 20:40
    and an addressing problem... and I thought that I had tried everything[noparse];)[/noparse]
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-01-06 00:51
    Can you post the fixed code?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com
    One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode
    edited 2008-01-07 13:45
    Tim,

My project (completely public domain) is to hook up a GPS and uoled and write locations, times and velocities to the uSD. The uSD is then read into a Mac and the data is turned into a tour using Applescript to drive Google Earth... I've tested all of the parts and they work. Which is why this is a little frustrating... I had it working a month ago... then destroyed some hardware, etc. etc. etc.

The uSD is working fine, but I don't have a version that isn't broke in some other way right now.

I'll get the prototype functions working correctly and post the whole project even if I don't have everything implemented correctly. Right now, I have a new problem reading time and date from the GPS. which makes no sense to me, since I have other code with exactly the same calls and it works fine.

Rich
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2008-01-07 13:49
    Rich, it's great to see you picking up some steam with your projects, what you are describing sounds a bit like my Garmin outrunner watch only open source, very nice.

Graham
    edited 2008-01-07 14:02
    Graham,

Not sure if I'm picking up steam or not...most of the time I feel like I'm venting.· I'm starting to know what I· don't· know, which is encouraging[noparse]:)[/noparse]

My next step is to get myself sued for copyright infringement[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Tim... I found it... praise Jesus!· See attached.

Rich