Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB connection — Parallax Forums

USB connection

Steve2381Steve2381 Posts: 94
edited 2008-01-03 06:22 in Propeller 1
Hello

I have researched serial communication to an Ipod, and it appears that a Prop chip is going to handle the task well (all on order).
However, all the information and·serial command info I have tracked down uses the standard serial TX/RX pins on the Ipod·30 way connector.
Does anyone know what hardware I would need to access the Ipod via the Ipods USB connection instead?
I have never interfaced via USB before, so I have no idea. Is it going to still be the same serial commands that the direct Serial connections would have used?

Thanks, Steve

Comments

• OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2008-01-02 03:14
    Hi Steve.

The Propeller Plug that it used to program the Propeller chip could possible be used
    if just the TX and RX lines are used..

If any additional handshaking lines are needed it would be a little more tricky.
    There is a full duplex object already ready to use..

cheers Ron Melbourne OZ

Post Edited (OzStamp) : 1/2/2008 3:23:05 AM GMT
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-01-02 10:00
    An iPod USB interface would require host mode - very difficult.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-02 12:26
    As Leon said: It's not a matter of lines but of underlaying low-level protocols smile.gif
    Your application layer commands should remain just the same!
  • Steve2381Steve2381 Posts: 94
    edited 2008-01-02 15:37
    Ok, thanks guys for the advice.
    My thinking was that the hex serial operation commands would be the same.
    The·main problem to program would be to run the Prop chip as the host, and then to identify and connect to the Ipod.
    No chance that there is any code around that might help?··· I knew it would be difficult... but hey...··it would be boring if it was easy

Thanks, Steve
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-01-02 15:44
    You haven't got a chance of getting that to work, it's far too complex.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • Steve2381Steve2381 Posts: 94
    edited 2008-01-02 15:49
    Oh well.....

I have full Ipod control via the serial connections on the Ipod, including all the track data that I have displayed on an 2x20 LCD. That was acheived on a standard Stamp.
    The only reason for using USB is that Ipod to USB leads are easily available for next to nothing, as opposed to te serial lead which I have to custom make after ordering the Ipod 30 way plug from the US.
  • Jimmy W.Jimmy W. Posts: 112
    edited 2008-01-03 06:22
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=633
    I love sparkfun [noparse]:)[/noparse] $3.95 usd, also works for iPhones, just requires 1 more line to do the ground secret handshake