Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Surging Propeller Popularity? — Parallax Forums

Surging Propeller Popularity?

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
edited 2008-01-04 22:58 in Propeller 1
Based on the number of postings in the forum, December seemed to show a surging interest in the Propeller, as compared to other areas. To check this out, I ran my forum analysis program again and plotted the results. This time, I included the HYDRA postings among the count for the Propeller. Here's the result:

attachment.php?attachmentid=51209

While there is certainly a spike upwards in December for the Propeller, it folows a drop in November and is accompanied by a similar — though lesser — December rise for the BASIC Stamp. But, despite any local ambiguities, the overall trend is pretty clear: the Propeller is a hot commodity!

-Phil
800 x 480 - 14K

Comments

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-01-01 20:12
    I've been watching the message count myself, waiting for the day the Propeller forum eclipses the Stamp forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller!

SD card Adapter
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-01 21:03
    Which chart analyst would have thought that in June? But then deSilva popped up. We statisticians call that a correlation smile.gif
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-01-02 03:24
    There also seems to be a correlation between gas prices and new posts... It is clear that if we want to stop global warming, we should post to this forum, which will increase the price of gas, decreasing the demand for gas and causing global cooling. And who do we have to thank for saving the planet[noparse]:)[/noparse]

deSilva of course[noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2008-01-02 22:16
    Javelin Stamp seems to be losing interest. I remember when I started coming here and taking interest in the Prop. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    The DemoBoard wasn't even out yet. Time sure does fly when your programming.

--Andrew Arsenault.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Share the knowledge: propeller.wikispaces.com
    Lets make some music: www.andrewarsenault.com/hss

• Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2008-01-02 22:36
    A low number of new threads per month does not necessarily mean people are
    loosing interest, only sales figures can tell us about that. For the javelin there
    are ready to use classes for most parallax products. Perhaps javelin users
    have less trouble completing their projects and therefore do not need to post.
    In terms of hardware, the prop comes first, and·the javelin second because that
    too has a 32KByte flat addressing space and the use of background tasks.
    In terms of programming language the javelin comes first as it supports true objects
    and the possibility to pass objects to objects and extending existing objects.
    I sure wish the prop could do that too.

regards peter
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-01-02 23:32
    Peter Verkaik said...
    A low number of new threads per month does not necessarily mean people are
    loosing interest, only sales figures can tell us about that.
    That's absolutely true and important to keep in mind. Mature products may lack ferment in the forum simply because so much other material is available to support them.

-Phil
    edited 2008-01-02 23:52
    Yeah, but that also means nobody (or not as many folks) are inventing anything new and posting about it at the same time. At least not at the same rate. [noparse]:([/noparse]
    New things are always coming out for the Prop, that's why we have so many posts. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Looks around, most of the posts aren't all questions like one would think.

--Andrew Arsenault.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Ym2413a) : 1/2/2008 11:57:25 PM GMT

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-03 00:16
    Yes, I have shyed the questioners away, so they say :-(

On the whole I must say, this forum has an extremly high level of quality. And gives the interested newbie excellent material to learn from at the same time. This has been expressed many times. The wiki seems underused at the moment butthat will change soon, I think.

Alltogether this is an extremely creative environment and as such honored by many people.

I got some negative feedback from a fellow countryman the other day, again requesting more activity in a German language forum. This has been addressed many time here as well, wrt Spanish...

I should very much like to see this community not to split. However it seems unavoidable when the Propeller enters non English countries. See also corresponding remarks in the thread "...a lot of Germans..."
    Note that this is an effect of the educational and hobby focus of Parallax products. Foreign professionals will come here (or - more likely - use no forum at all)
    edited 2008-01-03 00:22
    deSilva said...
    Yes, I have shyed the questioners away, so they say :-(

But at the same time you answer all the best questions before the rest of us can hit the reply button. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    So that's a good thing!

I think the Wiki is great, I try to help out when I can.
    The board pinout chart is really nice. [noparse];)[/noparse]

--Andrew Arsenault.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-01-04 22:58
    Sign of the times: 25 unread (ie active) threads in the last 12 hours or so. I need a deSilva machine.

Post Edited (Fred Hawkins) : 1/5/2008 1:15:31 AM GMT