Cheap video LCD? — Parallax Forums

Cheap video LCD?

RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
edited 2008-01-12 03:54 in Propeller 1
I saw this Ipod LCD screen at Costco today for $49

http://www.si5.com/products.php?pID=4025

It has video in, but I think it must use a simple composite output of the ipod:
http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

So, I'm thinking this may be a cheap, portable·NTSC display...

It is widescreen 16:9 format though, which may be a problem...

Comments

• DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2007-12-30 07:18
    Hi Rayman,

I bought a cheap portable DVD player (less than $50) on sale at a local big-box store in Jakarta. Construction is pretty cheap and it balks at playing some DVDs. But that's ok, I bought it to use as a video display with Propeller. It has a 7" diagonal LCD screen with composite video and audio in, PAL only though.

One of the things that prompted me to buy it was a button on the top panel labeled "Wide"; yup - push the button and the screen switches between 16:9 and 4:3. I'm sure you can find one similar on ebaY or Amazon that's NTSC. The one I have is made by Axion, most certainly Chinese or Korean.

I've used the graphics and TV objects with it. The only problem with 16:9 format is that circles become ovals. The stretched text looks ok though, in-fact arguably better.

Regards, David
  • OakGraphicsOakGraphics Posts: 202
    edited 2007-12-30 07:50
    Rayman said...
    I saw this Ipod LCD screen at Costco today for $49

http://www.si5.com/products.php?pID=4025

That's a great price for that display.· was that a scratch-n-dent special?
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-30 09:30
    Wide display is only an issue when you run a canned program; the TV driver does not mind... you can either configure it to center the image, or you increase your video memory and have 50% more space... IF the program can make use of it. I run most of my little programs at 480x240....
    edited 2007-12-30 22:08
    I wonder if ripping out the display of one of these guys would be usefull... smile.gif
    http://www.buy.com/prod/cyberhome-ch-mdp-2500r-portable-mini-dvd-player-red/q/loc/111/205020066.html
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2007-12-30 22:11
    Would be a good trick as it says "This product is currently unavailable"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

Technologically challenged individual, Please have pity.
    edited 2007-12-30 23:16
    mosquito56 said...
    Would be a good trick as it says "This product is currently unavailable"

Then how about an even better trick?
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CH-MDP-2500B&cat=CON
    It's available and only 15$ instead of 20$
    edited 2007-12-30 23:24
    wow, never even looked at the price. Unfortunately I don't know enuf to hack something like that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-12-30 23:40
    Lead item, refurbished so it's cheaper than costco: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=VIDEO-55-R&cat=MP3
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-12-30 23:48
    Even better!
    Fred Hawkins said...
    Lead item, refurbished so it's cheaper than costco: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=VIDEO-55-R&cat=MP3
    Mosquito:· You don't have to hack it at all if you don't want, just use the AV/IN port...
    edited 2007-12-31 05:18
    Fred Hawkins said...
    Eh - I noticed that, but once you buy it with shipping and the CA tax, and 6$ surcharge for electronic waste, it totals more then getting it at costco.· Of course you have to go to Costco to get it though, and currently I am in Kentucky till the 9th of Jan. :-?· So it might be worth the 5$ extra to have it shipped.

I am debating on buying 2 - one to keep intact, and the other to rip apart to make a portable propeller workstation with built in battery, IR Reciever / transmitter and such.

Post Edited (OakGraphics) : 12/31/2007 5:24:22 AM GMT
    edited 2007-12-31 05:36
    We don't have costco here. I didn't realize it have av/in sweet. Which one were you talking about Rayman? And where do I get one.

Thanx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2007-12-31 08:38
    Rayman, I can't do the 99 dollar Ipod job, but when one comes down to 15 dollars, and they throw in a Scooby doo Cartoon!
    I had my wallet out before I even knew it!
  • Sleazy - GSleazy - G Posts: 79
    edited 2007-12-31 11:20
    Yeh , what ever you do , id advise against getting the 2.5 inch A/V LCD display on the parallax website

Its a power hog, gets really hot.· Good picture tho.· The chineese makers actually scratch off the identification numbers on the IC's inside of the TV.· 12 volts is a bit too much to deal with in portable stuff.·

The ipod player with AV in looks like an ultra sweet deal

Post Edited (Sleazy - G) : 12/31/2007 11:27:13 AM GMT
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-12-31 21:13
    OakGraphics said...
    ·the CA tax, and 6$ surcharge for electronic waste,
    Those apply only to CA residents, bless their little green hearts. The rest of us get to snicker.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-12-31 21:18
    The Parallax 2.5" LCD works very nicely at lower voltages and gets much less warm. I usually use a 9V power cube.
    edited 2008-01-11 18:51
    I ended up getting one of those SI 55 LCD clamshells for $49.95 at Costco. It was a natural since I have a video Ipod as well to test with. The picture is very nice and the audio is actually quite impressive! It have AV in as well as out, plus a built in remote control to boot, and is battery operated. Not bad for 50$ +tax. (didn't have to pay the 6$ ewaste cost at costco - go figure. smile.gif

I plan on hooking it up to the prop as soon as I find my soldering iron and hack a cable.
    edited 2008-01-11 20:24
    Rayman? or anyelse for that matter.

Then the prop can be used with anything that says a/v in?

· I just bought some nice carscreens "insignia dual screens" at best-buy ·not cheap($179 plus tax) ·but the best I could find at this time. I am only worried about resizing the new tv driver to fill this screen.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Hmm, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

······· "No such thing as a dumb question" unless it's on the internet
    ········"What happens in Vegas ends up on the Internet"

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-01-11 20:35
    The TV.spin driver puts out standard NTSC video (and mostly standard PAL video). The V part of the A/V input should accept this.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-01-12 03:54
    OakGraphics said...
    I ended up getting one of those SI 55 LCD clamshells for $49.95 at Costco. It was a natural since I have a video Ipod as well to test with. The picture is very nice and the audio is actually quite impressive! It have AV in as well as out, plus a built in remote control to boot, and is battery operated. Not bad for 50$ +tax. (didn't have to pay the 6$ ewaste cost at costco - go figure. smile.gif

I plan on hooking it up to the prop as soon as I find my soldering iron and hack a cable.
    I'm very interested to hear how it works with AV IN!· I didn't get my own yet, but probably will soon...· I'm 99% sure it will work, but always better to here from someone who actually did it...· I think this is definitely the cheapest ~5" NTSC video screen around...· And, I'm 70% sure that a prop could go in the Ipod hole...· I think I have the Ipod pinout...