Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robo Badge batteries? — Parallax Forums

Robo Badge batteries?

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2010-09-08 08:57 in General Discussion
Hi,
I just got sent a Robo Badge, but no docs. What kind of batteries are it intended to use? It looks odd. I don't see any designation. I'd love a schematic and code as well.

Comments

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-09-08 07:31
    If it is the later version which uses two batteries then you need a pair of CR-123A batteries. They are mentioned in this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=110129&highlight=28099

This thread has a link to the SX tech kit which came with a Robolympics badge. That page has the schematics and code for it.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=103923&highlight=28099

And you can find Bean's "Magic 8 ball" replacement code here:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=96806&highlight=28099

Hope this helps.

Robert
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-09-08 07:48
    There is one mod to the badge that you may want to make. I found that there wasn't an easy way to hand the badge. It would have been nice to have a hole at the top edge of the badge for mounting. If you look at the back of the board you'll see a trace that is right in the center where a mounting hole should be. I'm not shy about modifying a board so I ended up drilling a mounting hole there which tool out that trace. Then I scraped off a bit of the solder mask at the ends where the trace used to be and soldered on a jumper wire around the new hole I drilled in it. The mod is all on the back so you can't see it. Now, I have the badge hanging from the neck of my new robot....

If Parallax ever makes a Propeller based badge like this I would request that they add a mounting hole at the top and route the traces around it to make it easier to work with.

Robert
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2010-09-08 08:57
    Thanks youall,
    I got some CR123A lithium batteries today, a bit expensive.

Still, the Robo Badge is very interesting and looks like a lot of fun. I am thinking of fastening it to the back of a motorcycle helmet and using a Memsic sensor in order to make it operate as a turn signal indicator. When one leans their head left, the device would indicate left and vise versa. I am wondering if it would sense a stop as well.

The programing port can easily provide power to accessories and it appears there are 7 bits of portB available.

I certainly will try Bean's software.

I am not at all leary of drilling holes, but I certainly wish that some mounting holes were provided. I've got another board here with similar problems, an XGS Pico Board. It just seems to me that a proper mounting is part of the design process and shouldn't be ignored. It you can't provide holes, at least provide space for rubber feet on the bottom.

Since I have a couple of Nokia wall warts that offer 5.2volts, I am wondering if I dare try to power the Robo Badge without batteries through the SX-Key port. Has anyone done so?