Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Development Board wish list — Parallax Forums

Development Board wish list

El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
edited 2006-04-10 18:26 in Propeller 1
hop.gif
It will be very nice if the Development board have a ZIP socket for the propeller instead of soldered chip.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-10 14:43
    The demo board has a soldered-on LQFP version of the Propeller. Should we do a development board down the road, it will likely have a socket for the DIP-40 version of the chip. That said, it won't be a ZIF (zero insertion force) socket as they are horribly expensive and most customers will not want to bear that cost.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2006-04-10 14:56
    As long as Parallax uses the same type of socket as was used on the PDB, you can always order one of these:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&D=*5354052610*&terms=535-40-526-10&Ntt=*5354052610*&Dk=1&Ns=SField&N=0&crc=true

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
  • El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2006-04-10 15:23
    Jon:
    You said 'Should we do a development board down the road'
    That means it will take a long time to get it?
    I ordered one from Mouser.
    If that is the case, should I change to the demo board?
    edited 2006-04-10 15:29
    The only thing available from anybody at the beginning is our demo board -- they might be calling it "development board" but that's not the name we put on it. That said, it has a small breadboard and you can certainly do development work with it; I (and others) have been for the last month. When I refer to *development board* I'm thinking something more on the lines of our PDB.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-04-10 15:34
    What is confusing is that both boards Demo and Developent are scheduled to be released on June 01, 2006
    Any way, I just canceled the Mouser order and going right now to order a demo board from Parallax.
    edited 2006-04-10 15:40
    I think it's just an unfortunate confusion of terms. The only thing we have at the moment is the Propeller Demo Board. Sure, we've had lots of discussion on what a "development" board could/should be, but we haven't started on the engineering portion yet as there are so many other Propeller tasks on our plate.

Maybe we should stop talking about future products (until they're actually shipping) if it's going to be confusing to our customers -- that's the last thing we want.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-04-10 15:48
    OK Lets talk only about the Demo Board.

The unfortunate thing is I can not order a Demo Board from Parallax.

There is no provision to order.
    edited 2006-04-10 16:14
    When it's ready (we've made a few improvements based on our beta group) you'll be able to do that. The Mouser site is based on preliminary information from us (they attended our first meeting with beta testers); they do not have product on hand that they can ship to you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-04-10 18:11
    It is sad.
    I guess I have to do it myself.
    I wonder Jon if can provide me with a set of schematics so I can build my own test board.
    Nothing simple, just something decent you envision a development board will should have.
    BTW I will incorporate a ZIF.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-04-10 18:26
    This thread should contain all the info you need: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=579595

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1+1=10