Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Large lcd screen — Parallax Forums

Large lcd screen

SofalogicSofalogic Posts: 49
edited 2005-03-09 16:55 in General Discussion
Gentlemen:
Does anyone know of a large LCD screen for use with parallax? I want to build a clock for my mother-in-law. I want large print and I need to backlight the screen. I am going to program the backlight to automatically dim at a predetermined hour. I may even pre-progam some messages for her. She is in early stage alzheimers and I want to help her with Time, day and date.

Sofa

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-03-04 11:28
    You don't need to build one - they're already available comercially at good prices. Try here www.giftngadget.com/ci00562.html or for a larger model www.giftngadget.com/slgeco1b.html
  • SofalogicSofalogic Posts: 49
    edited 2005-03-04 20:24
    Forrest:
    I checked out the clock. That is what I have in mind. Partly I am doing this just because I can. My main thrust is to have certain messages on the clock telling her the specifics about the time of day. She gets confused about morning and night. I want to be able to have messages on the screen telling her its bedtime, early morning, afternoon and so forth. I would like to be able to have her appt. dates show up also.

I may actually buy the clock on that page, then just make a message scroll tied into an internal clock in the circuit. If I end up making the whole clock I will probably add the temp function to it. Thanks for the input.

Sofa
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-03-04 23:44
    Sounds like an interesting project. Keep us updated if you make progress building your own - my grandmother has the same condition.
  • paysonbadboypaysonbadboy Posts: 81
    edited 2005-03-05 22:28
    It seems that people seem to always tell me·I can "just go buy" something, but sometimes it's something I'd rather make myself and to learn from.

Let us know how it goes.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.paysonarizona.net/
  • SofalogicSofalogic Posts: 49
    edited 2005-03-07 20:55
    Update from the Sofa:

I think I will go with the Parallax suggested parts (always the smart thing when in a bind). Instead of all information on the screen at once I am going to "pageinate" (did I spell that right??) the information. In other words the screen will flash the information for short periods of time. MONDAY will flash for about three seconds MARCH 7 would go next and so on. The local PBS shows Lawrence Welk on saturday nights, I may throw in a piezo and have a 10 minute warning of sorts. I will need to add a buton to defeat the beeping in case she's napping.

Did I mention to you all that this came to me in my sleep. My mother-in-law has been wandering in the wee hours. I had the situation on my mind before napping one afternoon and voila! a new application for parallax products was born.

Sofa
  • MrdavidjenkinsMrdavidjenkins Posts: 49
    edited 2005-03-09 16:55
    Hi

You might want to look at the litebrite or britelite at samsclub.com.· It shows 14 characters that are 2 inches high. If you search around, you can find the code to drive it using a basic stamp.·· Cost is about $140.· It is pretty nice and should be okay for your application.·· The code is pretty straightforward by the way.

Dave