Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Temporary saving of a post — Parallax Forums

Temporary saving of a post

NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
edited 2005-02-17 05:08 in General Discussion
I have a long post for the Projects forum.· Since I'm not sure I can complete the post in one sitting, is there any way to temporarily save the post for additional entries without actually posting the file?

Sid

Comments

• Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-02-03 17:07
    Sid,

I'd be inclined to use an offline editor (like Word) to do the actual composition. Then when it is complete, copy and paste into the posting box. Word, or any other word processor will also provide easier editing than the forum posting, as well as spell checking. Granted it can't show you the various attributes like bold, etc., that the posting would do, but you can still manually code them and then just verify them when you go to submit.

Just my $0.02.

Jim
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-02-03 17:20
    Jim, I'm working on that angle right now.· Tried a sample and it works pretty good - there are some errors in pasting, like line spacing, but they can be corrected a lot quicker than I could type the whole post.· Look for it in the Projects forum, maybe later today.

Sid
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-02-03 17:23
    Perhaps Andy Lindsay can fill us in on how he does his SIC posts. They are certainly quite long with lots of formatting. I can't envision doing those in one sitting while risking a crash, etc.

Jim
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-02-03 21:15
    I don't know for a fact, but I suspect that Andy is using Word to do his formatting and doing a quick copy-and-paste.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2005-02-17 05:08
    If you guys look at the HTML in Andy's posts, you will see that he is using somthing that just loves to generate HTML. Of course, it is very difficult to argue with the results posted. His articles look fantastic.

But more to the point, composing large posts offline is the way to go. We're working on an issue now where the 20 minute session timer is killing off the browser's connection to the site before one is able to finish composing a large post. We're going to increase the timer to 30 minutes, but that still won't be enough for some of the messages that are posted around this site. The bottom line for now is to type quickly or type offline, then copy and paste.

Be sure to refresh your page in the browser before you post to ensure that the session is still intact!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim

Parallax IT Dept.