Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Get ready to hand over your $40 to the sales guy. . . — Parallax Forums

Get ready to hand over your $40 to the sales guy. . .

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
edited 2020-07-07 19:44 in Propeller 2
If we don't take your money, somebody else will. Make an investment in yourself. Coming soon:
27390Display.jpg

birds-sm.jpeg

Comments

• I want!
  • potatohead wrote: »
    I want!

We also want you to want. In this case you also have a need. The supplier/customer (or as we call it, the community) ecosystem is a symbiotic relationship. When you buy from Parallax you're making a tremendous reinvestment in your own skill, capability, and future well beyond the cost you paid. You will create things much greater than the item you purchased from us.

Wait, this is just a display we'll be selling....I was getting a bit salesman-like.

But really, you both want and need one potatohead!

Ken Gracey

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2020-07-07 20:25
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    If we don't take your money, somebody else will. Make an investment in yourself. Coming soon...
    Looks pretty cool! Since you haven't shipped the P2 Rev C boards yet, could you make it an option to add one of these to an existing P2 Rev C backorder to save shipping costs?

• David Betz wrote: »
    If we don't take your money, somebody else will. Make an investment in yourself. Coming soon:
    Looks pretty cool! Since you haven't shipped the P2 Rev C boards yet, could you make it an option to add one of these to an existing P2 Rev C backorder to save shipping costs?

That's a good idea. I'll enable the up-sell.

Ken
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    As I stated in a different place: it is of extreme importance that we use equivalent hardware to be able to help each other and not to develop the 45th driver to attach a display that lies somewhere in the corner. Standards are the source of progress..
  • @"Ken Gracey" Indeed.

Just so happens I am modeling up a P2 portable. Was looking for display options.

I intend to 3d print it.

Are those PS2 keyboards still in stock? The smaller ones.

• That is a great display and a really good price! Perfect for embedded applications that need a display.

Are you going to break out the individual accessory boards at some point? The HDMI, USB Host and USB Device boards are applicable to real world applications while the others are really just for educational experimentation.

That, and waiting for the Rev C boards, is the main reason I have not pulled the trigger to get a P2-ES. Feels wasteful to order boards I know I will never use. With the new display it is even more tempting to get a setup even though I have a P2D2 on order.

Great job on all of this. Looking forward to getting to use FlexGUI and Catalina after all of the hard work those guys have put into them.

• Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2020-07-08 01:40
    Just ordered one along with a Rev C.

• Yes please! (-throws wallet at Ken-).
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »

Ken
    How do I add one of the displays to my P2 Rev C order?

Ken

You could drop an email to sales@parallax.com, quote your order reference on the Eval, and ask them to add the display and confirm. I'm sure they will handle that today for you.

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2020-07-08 12:40
    VonSzarvas wrote: »

Ken

You could drop an email to sales@parallax.com, quote your order reference on the Eval, and ask them to add the display and confirm. I'm sure they will handle that today for you.
    Yeah, I guess I'll do that. I wasn't sure what Ken meant when he said "enable the up-sell". I thought it might mean there was some automated way of doing this without bothering the sales people.

• Here is a link to the display for those that haven't found it yet. A good sales guy would have put it in the top of the post with the info LOL

https://www.parallax.com/product/27390
  • Here is a link to the display for those that haven't found it yet. A good sales guy would have put it in the top of the post with the info LOL

https://www.parallax.com/product/27390

Well. . . I was crowdsourcing this time and you helped me out Bob. Thanks!

Ken Gracey

Ken

Yeah, I guess I'll do that. I wasn't sure what Ken meant when he said "enable the up-sell". I thought it might mean there was some automated way of doing this without bothering the sales people.

When you've already placed an order for a Rev C board and then place another order for the display, I don't think we can easily combine shipping. This would be a time when you call the sales staff and ask them to add the display to save more shipping costs.

(916) 624-8333

Thanks!

Ken Gracey
  • Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Just ordered one along with a Rev C.

You are a Parallax investor.

Ken Gracey
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »

Ken

When you've already placed an order for a Rev C board and then place another order for the display, I don't think we can easily combine shipping. This would be a time when you call the sales staff and ask them to add the display to save more shipping costs.

(916) 624-8333

Thanks!

Ken Gracey
    I'm actually just trying to save Parallax shipping costs since I selected free shipping for the Rev C board. I did send email to sales@parallax.com and asked them to add the display to my existing order even if it delays shipment. I'm not in a rush.

• Kerry S wrote: »
    That is a great display and a really good price! Perfect for embedded applications that need a display.

Are you going to break out the individual accessory boards at some point? The HDMI, USB Host and USB Device boards are applicable to real world applications while the others are really just for educational experimentation.

That, and waiting for the Rev C boards, is the main reason I have not pulled the trigger to get a P2-ES. Feels wasteful to order boards I know I will never use. With the new display it is even more tempting to get a setup even though I have a P2D2 on order.

Great job on all of this. Looking forward to getting to use FlexGUI and Catalina after all of the hard work those guys have put into them.
    I second the request to break out the accessory boards, I would only need the HDMI board.

A kit with the display, board, and cable (or make it available separately) would be great, I'm all for using a standard display and code.
  • The description of the display says it requires a power cable that is not included. What kind of cable is needed and does Parallax sell them?
    5 V @ 400 mA, power cable not included
  • It's already a "last chance" product?

That was fast!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2020-07-08 16:10
    The description of the display says it requires a power cable that is not included. What kind of cable is needed and does Parallax sell them?
    5 V @ 400 mA, power cable not included

Indeed, we don't have the proper cable for this display and I need help finding it. It's a 4-pin JST-style (?) female connector with 5V on pin 1 and ground on pin 4. The spacing of the cable female socket is less than 0.1" between holes (my caliper batteries are dead, sorry).

In the picture below, I have cut back the housing on the display side which locked in the cable. I did this so I could easily attach micrograbber leads.

I'm betting that one of you could identify a source for such a cable - either with a 5V power supply that sources 500 mA) or just bare wires. I can stock whatever you find.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey

display-connector.jpg
    1512 x 2016 - 615K
  • From the image I measure a pin spacing of 2mm for the connector, assuming that the pin spacing on the voltage regulator is 2.3mm.
  • Yes!

Got mine on order. $40 handed over successfully.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,922
    Maybe it's this one?
    1309 x 517 - 79K
  • Rayman wrote: »
    Maybe it's this one?

I think so, as the dimension "Connector Header Through Hole, Right Angle 4 position 0.079" (2.00mm)" and datasheet confirm what I've measured. I'll get a battery for my calipers today and confirm that pin spacing, but I'm near-certain that's the correct one.

So, we need the mating side with some wires so people can connect power as they wish. Think that exists too, Ray?

Ken Gracey
  • Roy Eltham wrote: »

Darned Roy, that's it by golly. These are cheap enough I'll just add them to the display bag with no cost to the customer.

Aside from having the red wire on the wrong side, this will work fine. I'll assume most of our P2 users can handle that safely.

Ordered a bag to verify and then I'll get enough to load the display bags.

Thanks!

Ken Gracey

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,922
    From the photo, it looks like the central two pins are also connected on the PCB.
    So, you'd have to be careful with those extra wires...

Probably best to tie them together in pairs...
  • YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2020-07-08 18:23
    As for the power supply, any USB A, 5V/5W cell phone charger will do it.

Just a 6ft, USB A male to USB A male charge/data or charge/only cord, split in two, will provide a pair of cables, pending only two solder joints, and a piece of heat shrink tubing to complete.
  • Thanks for tracking down the connector. So, did I read red is wrong? Will double check mine before using.

I love this display and it will make my P2 setup portable enough for me to get going again!

800 x 480 is well matched to the known capabilities too. I wonder how tolerant this little screen will be to our various HDMI hacks known so far. (There have been more of those than I expected.)

"Battery for caliper"

Sidebar mode = 1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0142HX6JS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UMHbFbYGW7JB1

I have one of these from way back in 87. The only downside is Imperial Units. But the upside is decades of great measurements on demand. Have never been without this tool. Always works. I am surprised at how annoyed I truly get when a caliper is dead!

While I use digital tools all the time, I prefer the analog ones for feel where I can get them, and apply the "buy once" philosophy. Go ahead and spend. They last forever.

Someone should make a caliper with a charging case of some sort. Put the batteries in there and something rechargeable in the caliper. Get rid of that annoying battery dead problem.

Dead caliper = grrrrrr

Sidebar mode = 0