Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID card reader USB #28340 — Parallax Forums

RFID card reader USB #28340

I currently have an RFID 28340 card. I am looking for how to program an arduino one. I have the USB host shield but I don't know how to program the arduino to read the tags. Maybe they have some basic program to start?
Thank you

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    The part number you posted (28340) is for the USB card reader PCB so I presume that you want to use the arduino to read from the RFID 28340 board. The documentation here has the information you need to use it in the USB portion of the document.
  • Thanks for answering. I have the arduino board one, in it I have the USB Host Shield, the RFID 28340 board is connected to the USB shield. What I don't know is how to make arduino read the tags. Maybe the arduino program needs some declaration of variables or load some libraries?
    You will definitely need some arduino code to use the RFID card. I think it may have been simpler with the RFID serial version (28140) for this, however it can be done with the one you have. The basic steps are:

1 - Set the USB shield to 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and least significant bit first (8N1) at 2400 bps.

2 - Send the data/command to enable the RFID card reader (DTR low)

3 – When the RFID Card Reader is enabled and a valid RFID transponder tag is placed within range of the activated reader, the tag’s unique ID will be transmitted as a 12-byte printable ASCII string serially to the USB shield.

3 - Send the data/command to disable the RFID card reader (DTR high).

Sorry, I cannot help with the actual code since I do not have any of the hardware you have. I have attached the only arduino sample code I could find for this. Hope it helps.

• Thank you very much for your help. I will try with the instructions given to me.
    Thank you.
    gama wrote: »
    Thank you very much for your help. I will try with the instructions given to me.
    Thank you.

You're welcome. Do keep in mind that the code was written for RFID 28140, the serial data version. It will require some change so it can set DTR to high and low for the RFID 28340 USB version. Perhaps someone on the forum can provide that information if you request it.