Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 "bare bones" — Parallax Forums

BS2 "bare bones"

Hi All,

I am embedding a BS2 SSOP into my current project. It will not have any need to communicate to the outside world.

It's pretty clear as to what needs to be done with the following pins:
- pins 1,2,14 (Vss)
- pins 3,4 (Vdd)
- pin 5,6 (SDA, SCL for EEPROM)
- pins 26, 27 (X0, X1 for resonator)
- pin 28 (RESET/)

Not clear is what's to be done with pins 7 and 8 (Rx, Tx) since there will be no outside communication with the BS2. Pull them high, pull them low? Put 'em in a paper bag and swing it around my head while clucking like a chicken?***

Can anyone clarify?

***obscure Dick Van Dyke Show reference.

Comments

• I'm thinking pin 7 pulls 10K to high and pin 8 no connection
  • davejames,

How are you going to program it?
  • DigitalBob wrote: »
    I'm thinking pin 7 pulls 10K to high and pin 8 no connection

DB - I'm a "why guy". Can you elaborate on the why of pulling pin 7 high?

Dave
  • **Raises his hand, "Count me in!"
    I agree. How are you going to program the critter?

Mascot away. No messages accepted.
    ***Obscure Return of the Jedi message.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2019-10-12 04:43
    Genetix wrote: »
    How are you going to program it?
    I agree. How are you going to program the critter?

Gen & Buck- the EEPROM will be pre-programmed with the desired code via a Stamp OEM board. That board has a DIP socket for the EEPROM. So after I download the code to the OEM board, the EEPROM is removed and installed into my project.

Dave
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2019-10-12 06:56
    I think you got it Dave. If you remove the unwanted items from the BS2 Homework Board USB Schematic, you end up with what you described. Attached is a copy of that schematic with the stuff you won't be using deleted and it does in fact match your first post. In regards to 7&8, I might agree that pulling pin 7 high via 10k is correct as that is done when using that pin. However, I don't see anything in the BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Guide to support that so who knows? Since you aren't using those pins, I doubt it will matter.
    656 x 877 - 61K
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    davejames wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am embedding a BS2 SSOP into my current project. It will not have any need to communicate to the outside world.

It's pretty clear as to what needs to be done with the following pins:
    - pins 1,2,14 (Vss)
    - pins 3,4 (Vdd)
    - pin 5,6 (SDA, SCL for EEPROM)
    - pins 26, 27 (X0, X1 for resonator)
    - pin 28 (RESET/)

Not clear is what's to be done with pins 7 and 8 (Rx, Tx) since there will be no outside communication with the BS2. Pull them high, pull them low? Put 'em in a paper bag and swing it around my head while clucking like a chicken?***

Can anyone clarify?

***obscure Dick Van Dyke Show reference.

I would put 10K pull ups on both. Not absolutely necessary, but some bad experiences have convinced me that leaving I/O pins floating is not a good idea even if they are not used in the code.

***also the punch line of a popular phone prank way back in the stone age (before cell phones).
  • davejames,

How are you testing your freshly soldered boards since there is no programming port?

Also, do you not want the programming port because of cost or because you don't deem it necessary?

And consider the possibility that you may have to reprogram those units in the future due to a problem or requests.
  • Attached is a copy of that schematic with the stuff you won't be using deleted...

WBA - thanks much for the input. I forgot...duh!...about the pullups on SCL and SDA as per I2C requirements. I'll add them to my schematic.

Dave
  • kwinn wrote: »
    I would put 10K pull ups on both.

kwinn - thanks for the input.

Dave
  • Genetix wrote: »
    How are you testing your freshly soldered boards since there is no programming port?
    Also, do you not want the programming port because of cost or because you don't deem it necessary?
    And consider the possibility that you may have to reprogram those units in the future due to a problem or requests.

My old technical instructor heart jumped for joy when I read your questions. They were excellent! Great questions clearly stated, and full of insight. I would have physically jumped, but the uncontrolled oscillatory action of belly fat would have been not a sight to see.

So to the questions, but first a bit of back-story...

My project was conceived, then bread-boarded for functional proofing (aka debug). A BS2 module was used as the controller.
    The schematics were cleaned up and sent to a PC board designer. After a bit of back-and-forth, layout drawings of the PC traces were given to me for "red-lining" where I prove every trace goes to were it should.
    The OK to send the design files to the fabrication house was given after I approved the layout. At this point, confidence is high that things will work.

Once the boards arrived, one board was assembled with all the usual components and a BS2 module was put into its temporary place to prove functional operation of the board. (see attached image) Now the confidence level is quite high that the rest will work as designed after assembly.

The remaining boards will be assembled with the "bare-bones" BS2 circuit and checked for functionality. At this juncture, I don't need the programming port as the EEPROM has been pre-programmed with functional code via a Stamp OEM board. (see other attached image) If any particular board doesn't work, then debug will progress as usual in checking physical connections and electrical action.

That was all for your first question! :smile:

Second question: basically, don't need the port. And that means less parts/less cost. :thumb:

Third question: should future problems or updates occur, I'll send the customers a new EEPROM - or they can send their unit in if should they not feel up to swapping a socketed, 8-pin DIP device.

Regards,
    Dave
    963 x 768 - 148K
    958 x 768 - 217K
  • What exactly is the thing in the first photo, besides a ZIF?

----
    Mascot away.
  • What exactly is the thing in the first photo, besides a ZIF?.
    ...ahhhhh - that sir, is the Stamp OEM board (as mentioned in the post), now a discontinued item.

It was a small board that contained a BS2 interpreter IC (600mil DIP), EEPROM (8-pin DIP), and all the other standard size components needed for the serial interface. It came un-assembled for ~$35, which was quite a bit less than the BS2 module at ~$50. Great product it was. Bought a few. Used a few.

Plugged into it is the Parallax USB/Serial converter.

So what I've done is removed the OEM board's EEPROM, jammed in a ZIF that allows me to easily pop in/out EEPROMs after they've been programmed.

Dave
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2019-10-14 03:14
    ...ok - the first BS2 "bare bones" I've constructed. (see attached image)

One pin failed to be soldered correctly, but I caught it during debug. The signal in question made it to the SSOP pad, but didn't show on the pin itself; had to use a jeweler's loop to see it. :nerd:

Once the pin was "touched" with an iron, the board came alive with complete functionality. Yay!

Thanks to all that offered some insight. :thumb:
    849 x 768 - 69K