Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
When will the new P2-ES boards be available? — Parallax Forums

When will the new P2-ES boards be available?

Hi,

Since the new P2 respin is now a given, when will the new P2-ES boards be available? Also, how many of them?

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2019-08-07 03:01
    We are waiting to find out how long it!s going to take to get the new dies packaged. That is the only hold-up.

It may be several weeks.
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,273
    edited 2019-08-07 05:06
    In the meantime, here's an early photo of the RevB P2-ES Eval board being tested with a globtop P2 chip.

There's a whole bunch of these waiting on the final silicon- fingers crossed that in the next week or so, Parallax will get some good news about the delivery dates!

ps. Please excuse the wobbly phone picture quality :)
    515 x 522 - 406K
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    Almost looks empty without the LDO jumpers and half the switchmode components.
  • YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2019-08-07 05:40
    Looks tasty! Seasoned cannibal opinion.

Less jumpers = easier to bite. Will not hurt my tongue, if done upside down. :lol:
  • The board looks nice! I'm glad the jumpers are gone.

• Why no jumpers and do I see female headers??
    When I get the new one My original will go on the wall in a frame.
    pilot0315 wrote: »
    Why no jumpers and do I see female headers??

Each set of eight I/O pins gets its own 3.3V LDO that feeds from the USB 5V via a single jumper There is also a single jumper between all VDD pins and the 1.8V switching regulator output. There is even a jumper between the 5V pins on the headers and the USB 5V.
  • pilot0315 wrote: »
    ... and do I see female headers??

And no female headers at all; RevA-compatible male headers were kept, at the same footprints.

It was the angle the snapshot was taken, along with illumination coming from the upper-left (NW) position, making they appear as lacking the pins.

A little zoom, crop and contrast correction, and you'll be able to notice the pins.

RevB_Connectors_Croped_01.png
    800 x 539 - 531K
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    cgracey wrote: »
    There is even a jumper between the 5V pins on the headers and the USB 5V.
    And I see it is off by default. Good idea. I wasn't entirely happy with the position of the 5v pin on the accessory headers. I've blown up too much in the past by touching a probe between two very close power pins.

evanh wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »
    There is even a jumper between the 5V pins on the headers and the USB 5V.
    And I see it is off by default. Good idea. I wasn't entirely happy with the position of the 5v pin on the accessory headers. I've blown up too much in the past by touching a probe between two very close power pins.

I thought the same thing. I'm glad to see that jumper. I will keep it off until I need 5V on a header.
  • samuellsamuell Posts: 554
    edited 2019-08-09 13:17
    pilot0315 wrote: »
    Why no jumpers and do I see female headers??
    If you think of it, the jumpers were there to select between the 3.3V DC-DC converter and the local LDOs. With that noisy DC-DC converter gone, you don't need the jumpers as well. Also, those SMD jumpers were a weak point on the board, as they could be easily ripped, taking out whole banks of pins with it (because they would cease to be powered, then). Not that it ever happened to me, but I'm glad they are gone.

I'm very suspicious of tall SMD components, as well as "SMD-only" connectors of any kind (the ones where the chassis is also to be SMT soldered). SMD micro-switches are fine, if they are small.

As for the frame, good idea! The jumpers will be protected that way. It is an historical and very rare piece that I wish to preserve. I wonder if the acrylic case is still available.

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-08-09 17:22
    Looks like the old Acrylic enclosure will not work, as the uSD and USB ports have swapped position. This means the switch cutout has changed. Also jumper holes have changed location. Maybe @W9GFO will make a new batch since there will be a couple of hundred new boards available.

I hope us repeat customers get a discount. :)
  • Publison wrote: »
    Looks like the old Acrylic enclosure will not work, as the uSD and USB ports have swapped position. This means the switch cutout has changed. Also jumper holes have changed location. Maybe @W9GFO will make a new batch since there will be a couple of hundred new boards available.
    Yes, I'd like a new enclosure for my new P2-Eval board!
    I'm not worried about a discount. It was cheap enough the last time. :smile:

• ke4pjwke4pjw Posts: 1,065
    edited 2019-08-09 15:36
    I must post the obligatory:

eFfmdb3.jpg

:):):):)
    2560 x 1600 - 327K
  • Publison wrote: »

I wanted the case for the now "old" board.

• samuell wrote: »
    Publison wrote: »

I wanted the case for the now "old" board.

I'm sure if W9FGO starts up production of the new enclosures, he can pop off an old one because he does them on demand at Etsy.com. I hear tell the design files,(Diptrace), may be available early next week.
  • The new board should only need a new top plate for the enclosure. Perhaps W9FGO can sell just new top plates alone for people that already have the old enclosure.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,803
    I wonder if I can just change out the chip on my current ES board...
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010

I think repeat customers get an automatic discount through etsy, something I'll have to check on. Not sure if it is etsy-wide or unique to each store.

I'll be happy to make a new batch if it looks like there is enough interest. I'll just need @VonSzarvas to send me the files when the board is finalized.
  • W9GFO wrote: »

I think repeat customers get an automatic discount through etsy, something I'll have to check on. Not sure if it is etsy-wide or unique to each store.

I'll be happy to make a new batch if it looks like there is enough interest. I'll just need @VonSzarvas to send me the files when the board is finalized.
    Count me in for 1.

Roy Eltham wrote: »
    The new board should only need a new top plate for the enclosure. Perhaps W9FGO can sell just new top plates alone for people that already have the old enclosure.
    Yes, that could be an option.
    I'll just need @VonSzarvas to send me the files when the board is finalized.

Will try to get the Diptrace design files published during next week, and will PM you a heads-up when that happens.

As I recall you asked for some 3D or Gerber/Silk layers last time too? Happy to share out whatever files/formats you need.

VonSzarvas wrote: »
    W9GFO wrote: »
    I'll just need @VonSzarvas to send me the files when the board is finalized.

Will try to get the Diptrace design files published during next week, and will PM you a heads-up when that happens.

As I recall you asked for some 3D or Gerber/Silk layers last time too? Happy to share out whatever files/formats you need.
    The 3d (.step) files with components are the most useful to me. I can use that in the CAD program. The silk layers are useful for renderings - which is not that important; a good top down photo of the board works just as well, maybe even better for rendering.
  • @VonSzarvas,

just send @W9GFO a new board with globtop and he can measure it by himself!

Enjoy!

Mike
    I checked on the discounts. The discount for repeat customers expired after six months. I think what I will do is create a coupon code that is valid for 48hrs and send that to all previous customers, and I do want my previous customers to get a discount.

My reasoning for 48 hrs is that I think that a previous customer will probably know right away wether or not they want to order another enclosure, and the short time frame can allow a deeper discount.
    I checked on the discounts. The discount for repeat customers expired after six months. I think what I will do is create a coupon code that is valid for 48hrs and send that to all previous customers, and I do want my previous customers to get a discount.

My reasoning for 48 hrs is that I think that a previous customer will probably know right away wether or not they want to order another enclosure, and the short time frame can allow a deeper discount.

I was kidding about the discount. I know your margins are small. Count me in for full price.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2019-08-10 01:04
    count me in me too, I really like the enclosure you send me. Just beautiful.

I will need 3 new ones with Fan so all 4 have the same height.

Don't worry about coupons, your price was completely OK und the product is worth the amount.

Just think about it, without you doing it, I would have to buy a laser-cutter, learn new skills, spend hours in 3D-software and would produce a less nice result.

Mike
    Okay then, I'll offer the discount but you can decide wether or not to take advantage of it. :-)
  • Count me in for one also.
  • One new enclosure for me, please.