The Virtually Infinite Propeller Modular Computer(VIPMC)

2»

Comments

• So, curious, the I/O pins on the P1 are logic gated together between cogs to determine the final output. Is there any real speed difference between the pins going through more or less gates? If so, which pins would be optimal to use between props?
    Windows 10 Home:
    Propeller Tool 1.3.2, BASIC Stamp Editor 2.5.4, Javelin Stamp IDE x.x.x, Arduino IDE, PST
    Hardware:
    BASIC Stamp Board of Education, Propeller Board of Education, Propeller Project Board, Propeller Mini
  • There has been said to be some difference, but I personally haven't run into any issues, even with 20 MHz SPI. Some couple nanoseconds (a single CPU cycle @ 80Mhz is 12.5 ns!)

I think(!) that pins 0-15 are closest to cog 0 and pins 16-32 are closest to cog 7. Maybe the other way round. I'm sure there's a thread on here about it, but I can't find it right now.
  • Smaller opcodes for small constants versus referencing bigger values via "fake constants" in memory may be a thing there too. Code addressing lower pin numbers may be slightly faster.

Perhaps this has more impact than the distance from cog to pin...
    ◁ propeller-wiki ▷ ◁ FastSpin ▷ ◁ DK-E ▷ ◁ :-D ▷ ◁ Stay OmmmmmmPtimistic! ▷ ◁ No Source – No Go! ▷ ◁ Help Spin at RosettaCode.org ▷ ◁ Why Asimov's Laws of Robotics Don't Work ▷ ◁ DNA is a four letter word. ▷
  • @yeti
    That could make a difference in Spin only. PASM timing is the same regardless of whether the source is immediate.

However, pins 0-7 have the advantage of not needing to be shifted down to be WRBYTE'd...
  • Thank you! I will have another look at my pin assignments(finally just made a .txt file to keep track of them all) and set up the data lines.
    Windows 10 Home:
    Propeller Tool 1.3.2, BASIC Stamp Editor 2.5.4, Javelin Stamp IDE x.x.x, Arduino IDE, PST
    Hardware:
    BASIC Stamp Board of Education, Propeller Board of Education, Propeller Project Board, Propeller Mini
  • AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 693
    edited 2019-06-25 - 22:36:23
    Well, I have made symbols for the XBee and ESP32 Feather. I have, however been unable to resolve the incapacity to program the Feather. I posted to the Adafruit Forums(twice since June 7th), to no avail. if anyone here can help solve this, I would greatly appreciate it.

On the plus side, I have wired up the USB Prop! I will add the schematic once I fix my KiCAD Libraries. Screwed them up bad.
    EDIT: Fixed the libraries! Here is the PDF:
    Windows 10 Home:
    Hardware:
  • Two things: One, I have renamed the device. The VIPMC, Virtually Infinite Propeller Modular Computer. This is dues to the nature of the stack, in that you can add cards to it to the limit of either the props memory and your power supply.

Two: I have been trying to get a QFP package sourced for EEPROMs. I’m just gonna use DIP sockets. That way I can program the EEPROMs on another board and mass produce programmed EEPROMs. This should also make firmware updates easier.
    Windows 10 Home:
    Hardware:
  • Feather programmability, SOLVED! (By purchasing a cable from Parallax.)

I have sorta familiarized myself with the Arduino IDE :sick: and I have nailed server and webpage hosting with it. :cool:
    I am testing a Serial Initialization system using my PropBOE, Propeller Project Board, and PropMini. Pics later.
    Windows 10 Home:
    Hardware: