Post spin2gui problems here

13»

Comments

• I believe this is more a windows 10 thing, but I can no longer run the uPython binary that ran fine a few weeks ago. Digging deeper, sometimes seems to have changed with communications (timing?) with the P2-ES

proploader says this
    \spin2gui\bin>proploader ..\samples\blink1.binary -v -r -t -k
    Opening file '..\samples\blink1.binary'
    Delivering second-stage loader
    ERROR: Propeller not found on COM3
    ERROR: Download failed
    Press return to continue...

This is a new win 10 laptop and late last week it installed an big Windows update. I've noticed a few other windows behaviour changes thanks to that update.

PNut Control-G finds the board fine. Also the reset event seems to happen just fine.

Still digging, just posting in case others have seen the same thing happen. Might install a fresh new Spin2gui
  • I reinstalled the same version of Spin2gui. Looks like windows smartscreen was blocking something, without telling me it was blocking something, and after clicking 'run anyway' things are back to normal.

One other thing looks like "PIN" in 2nd release uPython binary is now "Pin" in the 3rd release. (ie the case matters)

All good now, just curious whether others strike the same issue

• I have tried to coginit or cognew a new object to run cogserial in a new cog so as to rx a gps feed. I get errors.
  • pilot0315 wrote: »
    I have tried to coginit or cognew a new object to run cogserial in a new cog so as to rx a gps feed. I get errors.

What kind of errors? Could you show your code?
  • This isn't necessarily a problem but I have a file FeedBackServoDemo.spin2 with
    OBJ
        FBS:  "FeedBackServo.spin2"

When I modify FeedBackServo, and then compile FeedBackServoDemo, I have to first save FeedBackServo or it compiles without the changes. That is okay; I can do that, but what breaks my head is: I didn't used to have to do that (save first). Cross my heart and hope, etc, etc. And I didn't change gui or operating system or nothin'.

So I guess my question is: "Should I have to save first in order to incorporate the changes?"
    Re-inventing the wheel is not a waste of time if, when you are done, you understand why it is round.
  • This isn't necessarily a problem but I have a file FeedBackServoDemo.spin2 with
    OBJ
        FBS:  "FeedBackServo.spin2"

When I modify FeedBackServo, and then compile FeedBackServoDemo, I have to first save FeedBackServo or it compiles without the changes. That is okay; I can do that, but what breaks my head is: I didn't used to have to do that (save first). Cross my heart and hope, etc, etc. And I didn't change gui or operating system or nothin'.

So I guess my question is: "Should I have to save first in order to incorporate the changes?"

No, you shouldn't have to save first. That sounds like a bug that crept in when the changes to check for files changed on disk went in. I'll try to fix it.
  • @ersmith
    Been working on my flight instructor renewal for the FAA. I will get the code to you soon.
    Thanks.Flew yesterday I have a video that I will upload to youtube and send you the link video of a historical site. All nerds would like.
    Martin.

Thanks for all your help.
  • Hey got a question. Sometimes spin2gui's status section at the bottom JITTERS up and down. What's up??
  • pilot0315 wrote: »
    Hey got a question. Sometimes spin2gui's status section at the bottom JITTERS up and down. What's up??

I think there's a bug in the automatic scrollbar routines in Tcl/Tk (which decide whether or not a scrollbar is needed) and it gets stuck in a state where it can't decide whether to show a vertical scrollbar or not.

You could try commenting out two lines in spin2gui/src/gui.tcl:
    autoscroll::autoscroll .bot.v
    autoscroll::autoscroll .bot.h

If you put a "#" character in front of those two lines (they're near line 705 in the file) that should make the scrollbar widgets appear permanently and get rid of the flicker.
  • @ersmith
    Thanks I will try that. I was able to open it with the propeller tool and save it. I will find out if that works.
  • @Tubular

I had to get a new computer. Have home version. Was able to install gpedit. was able to get all the gui's to work. Am working on a key generator to change to professional. This is to be able to stop the problems. Please contact me for followup. I have a windows geek who will help.