Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$55 Roomba Clone — Parallax Forums

$55 Roomba Clone

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
This code from Offers.com worked for me... not sure if my discount code is a one-time use or not. Try it and see, you have nothing to lose if you want to try a cheap robo vac. I plan to use this in the office to keep it tidy.

If the code works for you, let us know!

code: EYG888EE

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G7YHCSN

robovac.jpg

Comments

• But, wait, erco. Do you still have floor space left in your shop so this thing can do it's job? I mean heck, there must be piles of robot parts and tools occupying every square inch of Inventoy by now!

Ken Gracey
  • If the code works for you, let us know!

code: EYG888EE

Yup! Code still works! For that price you can buy two.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,009
    Clone? I mean sure, it's a floor cleaning robot and it is round but I would not call it a "clone".

Most notable differences that I see is that it does not self dock and it has no beater brush. From my experience that beater brush plays a large part in the effectiveness of the Roomba, at least on carpets.
  • W9GFO wrote: »
    Most notable differences that I see is that it does not self dock and it has no beater brush. From my experience that beater brush plays a large part in the effectiveness of the Roomba, at least on carpets.

Hench the cheaper price! :)

• Nah. It is not a clone.

If anything it reminds me of the one from that company who makes vacuum designs that emulate (and badly) the Dyson idea on them. (Which I don't like much.)

However, erco can you program it to do other stuff? That's the selling part for the Roomba.

Incidentally the best ones from the company are not vacuums, they are the bots who help the military find IEDs.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Yes, the lack of a beater bar is a point against. Fortunately office has extremely low pile carpeting, more like indoor/outdoor. It actually cleans up nicely with a broom and/or dustbuster, so hopefully this cheapie is up to the task. And yes, Ken, we actually have open floor space!

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2019-01-12 00:40
    Incidentally the best ones from the company are not vacuums, they are the bots who help the military find IEDs.

What, you mean the Boomba? :lol:
  • zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2019-01-12 20:52
    I prefer the "Hack & Decker" version!
    hack%20and%20decker-001.jpg
    Yes "Hack & Decker" is a real combat robot, its a Black & Decker chainsaw mounted on a Black & Decker robot vacum.

It's last fight (above photo) was at the "MACRO Summer Sumo!" event, presented by the "Mid-Atlantic Combat Robotics Organization" in Timonium, MD competition Date: 8/25/2018 buildersdb.com/eventdetail.asp?eventID=521

It's next fight (new improved version) will be at the "MACRO Frozen Fracas!" event, presented by the "Mid-Atlantic Combat Robotics Organization" in Timonium, MD Competition Date: 1/26/2019 buildersdb.com/eventdetail.asp?eventID=556
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2019-01-12 20:41
    Is that gaffer tape holding it together? Brilliant, but arena containment seems a bit inadequate for
    such shenanigans!

You could take the concept of a turtle drawing bot and stick a cordless plunge router in place of the pencil,
    instant CNC machine!

Oh, its been done of course. https://youtube.com/watch?v=i5h821pEA0Q

And looking at that vacuum cleaner again, I think there should be an extra discount if you can
    pronounce it!
    edited 2019-01-12 21:17
    Mark_T wrote: »
    Is that gaffer tape holding it together? Brilliant, but arena containment seems a bit inadequate for
    such shenanigans! ...

... And looking at that vacuum cleaner again, I think there should be an extra discount if you can
    pronounce it!

"Hack & Decker" is a real combat robot. It belongs to a friend of mine. Originally the cordless chainsaw was attached to the robot vacuum with hot glue & I think epoxy and some other stuff. It was modded between fighting rounds to lower the chainsaw blade so it could come in contact with the robots it was fighting. Yes that is red gaffers/duct tape used to make the mod. Also, I agree with you there was a "containment breach of the warp-core" :zombie: . Are rules made to be followed? :skull:

It is the event names that are a mouthful to say. Try saying either "MACRO Summer Sumo!" or "MACRO Frozen Fracas!" real fast three times! :tongue:
    edited 2019-01-14 17:43
    Yeah, it's no Roomba. It does a passable job on our zero-pile carpet. As Rich noted, the lack of a beater bar handicaps the cleaning power. IMO smooth floors only, any real pile carpet would be a disaster. The cliff sensors would not detect the green or gray carpet in our office, so I had to bypass them (apply white tape). Not sure if I'll keep or return, will try it a few days. Honestly this office is one of the few ideal locations for this thing. It mainly needs to pick up plastic chips off a smooth carpet. If I can't love this thing, nobody will. Oh gawd, now I feel like I need to nurture this poor baby orphan...

Here's the cliff sensor/dark carpet fail:

• Cute little vacuum! Looks a it like transformer with it’s little whirling arms(brushes)
  • I think I'll keep my Roombas!
    Mike Cook wrote: »
    I think I'll keep my Roombas!

And keep replacing those pricey batteries too. Have they fixed the issue? One cell in the pack goes dead and it's all over. Plenty of dead batteries repair kits on ebay.
  • Erco,

When is someone going to patent the "brilliant" idea of a battery pack where you can replace a bad cell?

And as an added bonus it's good for the pocket, good for the environment, and a price premium will ensure profitability.
  • Did you pop the cover off that bad boy yet?
  • xanadu,

As Dave Jones of the EEVBlog would say, "Don't turn it on; take it apart".
  • Genetix wrote: »
    xanadu,

As Dave Jones of the EEVBlog would say, "Don't turn it on; take it apart".

Yes, it's a wonderful thing to say : )
    Too busy to take it apart! That will have to wait until after NYTF or it fails, whichever comes first.

Careful what you wish for... :)
  • As long as your busy taking other things apart.
    Closer to blowing other things apart.

But I can say no more.
    edited 2019-01-28 01:17
    zappman wrote: »
    I prefer the "Hack & Decker" version!
    hack%20and%20decker-001.jpg
    Yes "Hack & Decker" is a real combat robot, its a Black & Decker chainsaw mounted on a Black & Decker robot vacum.

It's last fight (above photo) was at the "MACRO Summer Sumo!" event, presented by the "Mid-Atlantic Combat Robotics Organization" in Timonium, MD competition Date: 8/25/2018 buildersdb.com/eventdetail.asp?eventID=521

It's next fight (new improved version) will be at the "MACRO Frozen Fracas!" event, presented by the "Mid-Atlantic Combat Robotics Organization" in Timonium, MD Competition Date: 1/26/2019 buildersdb.com/eventdetail.asp?eventID=556
    "Hack & Decker" was at the "MACRO Frozen Fracas!" event, presented by the "Mid-Atlantic Combat Robotics Organization" in Timonium, MD Competition Date: 1/26/2019.
    51041736_2215357201842557_384441805405421568_n.png?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=38e5098258335248801c38f5fc767718&oe=5CB56AB7
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=dC5O25Qi-rE&feature=youtu.be
    No duct tape this time.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2019-01-30 20:22
    Dangerous without a retaining fence :(
  • erco wrote: »
    Mike Cook wrote: »
    I think I'll keep my Roombas!

And keep replacing those pricey batteries too. Have they fixed the issue? One cell in the pack goes dead and it's all over. Plenty of dead batteries repair kits on ebay.

Have not had any issues with the batteries to date. Both mine (690s) use Li-ion batteries. They both run about 2 hours each, each day, till they are dead. I figure after they hit 500 charge cycles the batteries will be spent and have to be replaced. They are real time savers, I'm surprised how much stuff they pick up! 2200 square feet of solid surfaces that they clean each day.