Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax P2-EVAL (P2ES chip) pcb demo code - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Parallax P2-EVAL (P2ES chip) pcb demo code

Comments

• @JM - just running out the door and saw your post - retro robo scanner - neat!

Maybe this will work for TAQOZ (haven't checked it)
    : LED?  DUP 1 AND IF 63 I - ELSE I 56 + THEN ;
    : SCAN  0 BEGIN 8 0 DO LED? HIGH 35 ms LED? LOW LOOP 1+ AGAIN ;

Just type SCAN and hopefully it will work. You can even put a delay after loop to hold it at the end of each scan.
  • @JM - just running out the door and saw your post - retro robo scanner - neat!

Maybe this will work for TAQOZ (haven't checked it)
    : LED?  DUP 1 AND IF 63 I - ELSE I 56 + THEN ;
    : SCAN  0 BEGIN 8 0 DO LED? HIGH 35 ms LED? LOW LOOP 1+ AGAIN ;

Just type SCAN and hopefully it will work. You can even put a delay after loop to hold it at the end of each scan.

Peter,

I have been working with the P2 for about an hour. I still haven't figured out how to boot TAQOZ -- looking forward to playing with it.

Merry Christmas from Hollywood!

Jon
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    Since I live and work in Hollywood, I had to do this:
    ' This program creates an 8-LED Larson scanner on the P2 Eval board

dat		org

ls_fwd		mov	ledpin, #56		' start with p56
    		mov	cycles, #7		' light 7 going up
    .loop		drvl	ledpin			' led on
    		waitx	##20_000_000/8		' wait 1/8 second
    		drvh	ledpin			' led off
    		add	ledpin, #1		' next pin
    		djnz	cycles, #.loop		' done? 

ls_rev		mov	ledpin, #63		' start with p63
    		mov	cycles, #7		' light 7 going down
    .loop		drvl	ledpin
    		waitx	##20_000_000/8
    		drvh	ledpin
    		sub	ledpin, #1
    		djnz	cycles, #.loop

jmp	#ls_fwd

ledpin	res	1
    cycles	res	1

Thanks, Jon! I compiled this with fastspin and loaded it onto my P2-ES board with loadp2 and it works fine!

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2018-12-25 02:16
    Remember that there is a timeout in Chip's booter which puts the p2 to sleep after a minute or so. Reset it and type the three keys for greater than, space, escape.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Thanks, Jon! I compiled this with fastspin and loaded it onto my P2-ES board with loadp2 and it works fine!
    David,
    Please list the steps that you used to compile & load. I'm pretty inexperienced with using command line programs.
    Thanks
    Tom

• twm47099 wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    David,
    Please list the steps that you used to compile & load. I'm pretty inexperienced with using command line programs.
    Thanks
    Tom
    fastspin -2 larson.spin2
    loadp2 -p /dev/cu.usbserial-P2EEQXU larson.binary

You'll have to substitute your serial port device. I found it interesting that the port identifier begins with "P2". Is that intentional or just a coincidence?
  • I can get the program to run from PNut, but not from the command line. Hmmm.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    ... I found it interesting that the port identifier begins with "P2". Is that intentional or just a coincidence?

As coincidental as P2 Eval, Engineering Sample ;)
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2019-01-09 02:51
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    Cluso, I'm trying to figure out how to set a specific frequency on the P2 Eval board. In your code you have
    CON
      _XTALFREQ     = 20_000_000                                    ' crystal frequency
      _XDIV         = 4             '\                              '\ crystal divider                      to give 5.0MHz
      _XMUL         = 72            '| 180MHz                       '| crystal / div * mul                  to give 360MHz
      _XDIVP        = 2             '/                              '/ crystal / div * mul /divp            to give 180MHz
      _XOSC         = %10                                   '15pF   ' %00=OFF, %01=OSC, %10=15pF, %11=30pF
      _XSEL         = %11                                   'XI+PLL ' %00=rcfast(20+MHz), %01=rcslow(~20KHz), %10=XI(5ms), %11=XI+PLL(10ms)
      _XPPPP        = ((_XDIVP>>1) + 15) & $F                       ' 1->15, 2->0, 4->1, 6->2...30->14
      _CLOCKFREQ    = _XTALFREQ / _XDIV * _XMUL / _XDIVP            ' internal clock frequency                
      _SETFREQ      = 1<<24 + (_XDIV-1)<<18 + (_XMUL-1)<<8 + _XPPPP<<4 + _XOSC<<2  ' %0000_000e_dddddd_mmmmmmmmmm_pppp_cc_00  ' setup  oscillator
      _ENAFREQ      = _SETFREQ + _XSEL                                             ' %0000_000e_dddddd_mmmmmmmmmm_pppp_cc_ss  ' enable oscillator

And then you set the hub mode with
    entry           hubset  #0                              ' set 20MHz+ mode
                    hubset  ##_SETFREQ                      ' setup oscillator
                    waitx   ##20_000_000/100                ' ~10ms
                    hubset  ##_ENAFREQ                      ' enable oscillator

So if I want some other frequency I would just adjust _XMUL proportionately, correct? So if I want 80MHz I would use a value of 72*80/180 = 32. Are the the hubset instructions necessary, or could I just do "hubset ##_ENAFREQ", and skip the other two hubsets?
    The crystal frequency is 20MHz. Divide it by the value you set in _XDIV, then multiply up using _XMUL. Chip recommends this be >=50MHz. I don't recall the max but presume it's something like 360MHz. Then you divide this by _XDIVP so I just divide by 2 but for overclocking we will likely only be able to use 1.

Originally I started with the P2D2 at 12MHz and divided by 24 to give 0.5MHz then multiplied by 297 to give 148.5 MHz and final divide by 1. This gave jitter so Chip recommended 12 / 4 = 3MHz * 99 = 297MHz / 2 = 148.5MHz and this was rock solid.

Yes, the setup requires the 3 hubset and the delays. That PASM routine doesn't require changing for changes in clock frequency - just change the constants.

Note the setup is for an oscillator not a crystal.

Postedit: Since the P2-ES uses a crystal, I edited the above setup to use a 15pF crystal which is as close to the 9pF crystal as we can get
  • So the P2 Eval board uses an oscillator instead of a crystal?
  • Dave Hein wrote: »
    So the P2 Eval board uses an oscillator instead of a crystal?

This is the exact part used on P2-EVAL:
    CRYSTAL 20.0000MHZ 9PF SMD
    Epson : TSX-3225 20.0000MF20G-AC3
    The writup for the P2-EVAL says 20MHz Oscillator so this needs correcting on the website then, and my code should have _XOSC = %10
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    The writup for the P2-EVAL says 20MHz Oscillator so this needs correcting on the website then, and my code should have _XOSC = %10

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator

Seems Oscillator is generic, with P2 Eval having oscillator, of type Crystal.

Will ask the editor if that can be rephrased to remove any doubt.

• Cluso99 wrote: »
    This is the above program compiled with pnut to P2ES-EVAL-Demo-002.obj and renamed "_BOOT_P2.BIX" (case sensitive) and copied to a formatted FAT32 microSD card. The card is then inserted into the P2-EVAL board and plugged in to USB/Power and PST run on the PC. No switches require changing on the hardware. The program will automatically boot/run from the SD card :smiley:

Note: You will need to remove the .txt from the filename as the forum will not allow uploads with .BIX

Like zappman, I get zzzzz.. in PST. What to do after that? I can enter TAQOS fine without the SD inserted. What is the Boot SD supposed to do?
  • Publison wrote: »
    Like zappman, I get zzzzz.. in PST. What to do after that? I can enter TAQOS fine without the SD inserted. What is the Boot SD supposed to do?

dbl check... do you have the dipswitch set right for SD boot? Switch settings table in both the docs and schematic files.

• VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Publison wrote: »

dbl check... do you have the dipswitch set right for SD boot? Switch settings table in both the docs and schematic files.

Dipswitch set for SD only. I get the splash screen, (not displayed on normal bootup). And then it's just zzzzz's.
    Can't enter TAQOZ with the proper keys.

It's Christmas! Nobody take time to evaluate this today. Enjoy it with your families.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Cluso99 wrote: »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator

Seems Oscillator is generic, with P2 Eval having oscillator, of type Crystal.

Will ask the editor if that can be rephrased to remove any doubt.
    Yes, the MCU semantics are usually Oscillator means external powered unit, even tho a Crystal is strictly creating an oscillator using the internal Amplifier on P2

edited 2018-12-26 02:42

The SD card provides the pullup. There is no switch setting necessary (and there isn't one for SD anyway). Once a file has been loaded, that's it. The new file has taken over the P2!

Now, if you go to this post you will see the call options for the monitor/debugger which performs a similar function to FDX serial
    forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1447021/#Comment_1447021

Here are the monitor.debug commands that you can enter interactively
    ROM_Booter_v32i.spin2
    =====================

''-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ''  MONITOR                        LMM DEBUGGER - SUPPORTED COMMANDS
    ''-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ''  xxxxxx : xx xx xx xx ... <cr>  DOWNLOAD:  to   cog/lut/hub {addr1} following {byte(s)}
    ''  xxxxxx - [xxxxxx] [L] <cr>     MEM LIST:  from cog/lut/hub {addr1} to < {addr2}  L=longs
    ''  xxxxxx G <cr>                  GOTO:      to   cog/lut/hub {addr1}
    ''                                                FC000 G <cr> will perform a reboot
    ''  Q <cr>                         QUIT:      Quit Rom Monitor and return to the User Program
    ''                                               {addr} is on the stack
    ''  Lfilename.xxx<cr>              LOAD:      Load file from SD   (8.3 filename)
    ''                                               returns "=" on success, "!" on failure
    ''  Rfilename.xxx<cr>              RUN:       Run  file from SD   (8.3 filename)
    ''                                               returns "!" on failure
    ''  <esc><cr>                      TAQOZ:     goto TAQOZ
    ''  <cr>                                      will repeat last MEM LIST command

So, for example
    0-<cr>
    will dump from cog $0 (one line)
    0-ff<cr>
    will dump cog $0 to cog $FF
    while
    0000-<cr>
    will dump from hub $0000 (one line)
    Note: the use of more than 3 char addresses, or >3FF determines hub instead of cog/lut
    twm47099 wrote: »
    David,
    Thanks
    Tom
    fastspin -2 larson.spin2

You'll have to substitute your serial port device. I found it interesting that the port identifier begins with "P2". Is that intentional or just a coincidence?

David,
    Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I was not able to get it to work from either spin2gui or using the fastspin and loadp2 from the command line. Spin2GUI appeared to load ok (blue lights flashed, but then nothing happened. From the command line, fastspin compiled, but when I tried loadp2 -pCOM9 the same thing happened.

I was able to get the program to load & run using pnut.
    By the way I am using Windows 7 OS

Tom
    Here is some demo code using some of the ROM Monitor/Debug calls...
    DAT
                    orgh    0
                    org     0
    '+-------[ Set Xtal ]----------------------------------------------------------+ 
    entry           hubset  #0                              ' set 20MHz+ mode
                    hubset  ##_SETFREQ                      ' setup oscillator
                    waitx   ##20_000_000/100                ' ~10ms
                    hubset  ##_ENAFREQ                      ' enable oscillator
    '+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
                    waitx   ##_clockfreq*5                  ' just a delay to get pc terminal running

''-------[ Start Serial ]------------------------------------------------------ 
                    mov     lmm_bufad,        ##_HUBBUF     ' locn of hub buffer for serial routine 
                    mov     lmm_x,            ##_bitper     ' sets serial baud
                    call    #_SerialInit                    ' initialise serial

''+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    ''+ Display a String (in HUB, $00 terminated)                                  +
    ''+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
                    mov     lmm_f,            #_TXSTRING+0  ' send string, $00 terminated (not required)
                    mov     lmm_p,            ##hubstring   ' must be in hub!
                    call    #_HubTxString
    ''-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

''+ Dump COG memory                                                            +
                  mov       lmm_x,            ##("C" + "O"<<8 + "G"<<16)
                  call      #_hubTx
                  call      #_hubTxCR                       ' <cr><lf>

mov       lmm_f,            #_LIST+_ADDR2 ' list w addr2
                  mov       lmm_p,            ##$000        ' fm addr
                  mov       lmm_p2,           ##$01F        ' to addr
                  call      #_HubList

mov       lmm_f,     #_LIST+_ADDR2+_LONG_ ' list w addr2 as longs
                  mov       lmm_p,            ##$000        ' fm addr
                  mov       lmm_p2,           ##$01F        ' to addr
                  call      #_HubList

''+ Dump LUT memory                                                            +
                  mov       lmm_x,            ##("L" + "U"<<8 + "T"<<16)
                  call      #_hubTx

mov       lmm_p,            ##$200        ' fm addr
                  mov       lmm_p2,           ##$21F        ' to addr
                  call      #_HubList

''+ Dump HUB memory                                                            +
                  mov       lmm_x,            ##("H" + "U"<<8 + "B"<<16)
                  call      #_hubTx

' $1_xxxxx tricks to force hub :)
                  mov       lmm_p,            ##$1_00000    ' fm addr
                  mov       lmm_p2,           ##$1_0007F    ' to addr
                  call      #_HubList

mov       lmm_p,            ##$04000      ' fm addr
                  mov       lmm_p2,           ##$0407F      ' to addr
                  call      #_HubList

''---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ''---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

''+ Display in HEX                                                             +
                  mov       lmm_x,            ##$11223344
                  mov       lmm_f,            #_HEX_        ' in hex
                  call      #_hubHex
                  call      #_hubTxCR                       

mov       lmm_f,            #_HEX_+_SP    ' hex w spaces between bytes
                  call      #_hubHex
                  call      #_hubTxCR                      

mov       lmm_f,            #_HEX_+_REV_  ' hex w bytes reversed
                  call      #_hubHex
                  call      #_hubTxCR                     

mov       lmm_f,            #_HEX_+_REV_+_SP  ' hex w bytes reversed & spaces
                  call      #_hubHex
                  call      #_hubTxCR                      

.here         jmp       #.here

''============[ COG VARIABLES - MONITOR]========================================                                    
                    fit     $1E0              ' ensure LMM reserved area cog $1E0-$1EF available                                                                              

''============[ HUB VARIABLES ]=================================================                                    
    DAT             orgh    $
    hubstring       byte    "P2ES-EVAL-Demo-003",13,10
                    alignl                                                                                                             

Note: You may need to rename the file to .spin2 depending on what compiler you use
    David,
    Thanks
    Tom
    fastspin -2 larson.spin2

David,
    Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I was not able to get it to work from either spin2gui or using the fastspin and loadp2 from the command line. Spin2GUI appeared to load ok (blue lights flashed, but then nothing happened. From the command line, fastspin compiled, but when I tried loadp2 -pCOM9 the same thing happened.

Tom

You will probably need to change the com port allocated to a lower port between 0-7 to get it to work on W7.
    IIRC you need to open control panel, go to devices, go to COM ports, and r-click a=on COM9 and change it. Google is your friend.

Dipswitch set for SD only. I get the splash screen, (not displayed on normal bootup). And then it's just zzzzz's.
    Can't enter TAQOZ with the proper keys.

It's Christmas! Nobody take time to evaluate this today. Enjoy it with your families.

Yes. You will need to reboot your board.
    The code has loaded from SD and is now running. No way to stop it w/o reset or download. You'll need to remove the SD card if you don't want the same result. Just like a P1 when loading code from EEPROM ;)
  • twm47099 wrote: »
    David,
    Thanks
    Tom
    fastspin -2 larson.spin2

David,

Tom
    That's odd. I wonder why it worked for me? I'm using a Mac and it sounds like you're using Windows but I'm not sure why that would make a difference. I built fastspin and loadp2 myself by downloading the code from GitHub. Did you do that or did you use a precompiled version? If so, maybe your version is old?

David,
    Thanks
    Tom
    fastspin -2 larson.spin2

David,

Tom
    That's odd. I wonder why it worked for me? I'm using a Mac and it sounds like you're using Windows but I'm not sure why that would make a difference. I built fastspin and loadp2 myself by downloading the code from GitHub. Did you do that or did you use a precompiled version? If so, maybe your version is old?
    David, I used the precompiled versions in the latest spin2gui bin folder.

Tom
  • Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I was not able to get it to work from either spin2gui or using the fastspin and loadp2 from the command line. Spin2GUI appeared to load ok (blue lights flashed, but then nothing happened. From the command line, fastspin compiled, but when I tried loadp2 -pCOM9 the same thing happened.

I had the same experience on Win10.
    edited 2018-12-26 07:55
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    This is the above program compiled with pnut to P2ES-EVAL-Demo-002.obj and renamed "_BOOT_P2.BIX" (case sensitive) and copied to a formatted FAT32 microSD card. The card is then inserted into the P2-EVAL board and plugged in to USB/Power and PST run on the PC. No switches require changing on the hardware. The program will automatically boot/run from the SD card :smiley:

Note: You will need to remove the .txt from the filename as the forum will not allow uploads with .BIX

Boot SD is supposed to do what it says, load a compiled P2 program and execute it. The demo program just displays a text string, and then loops sending z every second. Nothing more, nothing less ;)

Now you can put your own program (renamed) on the SD and it will load and run from power up.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »

I had the same experience on Win10.
    I think a board is on the way to Eric. I'm sure he'll have these issues sorted out shortly after it arrives.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    I've been using FastSpin with loadp2.exe
    Just tried with eval board and it still works.

• Rayman wrote: »
    I've been using FastSpin with loadp2.exe
    Just tried with eval board and it still works.

@Rayman,
    It seems strange that they work for some people and not for others. I guess that trying to establish a base line might be a good start. So:

1. What OS are you using?
    3. What COM port was the P2ES?
    2. What version of FastSpin and loadp2 are you using?
    3. Where did you get them (links please)?
    4. What is the source language of your code (spin2/p2asm, basic, c)?
    5. Are you using command line or spin2gui?
    6. If command line, what was the command string?
    7. If spin2gui, what was the configuration?

If there's anything else you think is important, please add it.
    I appreciate your help,
    Tom
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    edited 2018-12-26 17:30
    Sure:
    Win10
    COM7
    fastSpin version 3.9.12 https://github.com/totalspectrum/spin2cpp/releases/download/v3.9.12/fastspin.zip
    loadp2 version 0.005 http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/download/122835/p2gcc004.zip
    It's basically command line, called from my SpinEdit program

Compile command line:
    ""D:\Propeller\Code\SpinEdit\Debug\fastspin.exe" -2 -L "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallax Inc\Propeller Tool v1.3.2\Library"   "D:\Propeller2\P2_EvalBoard\VGA_base_1920x1080_001c.spin2.spin2" > "D:\Propeller\Code\SpinEdit\Debug\FastSpin.out"" 2>&1

somehow my source file has a .spin2.spin2 extension :)

Load command line:
    loadp2.exe -p COM7 "D:\Propeller2\P2_EvalBoard\VGA_base_1920x1080_001c.spin2.binary" > loadp2.out