Elev-8 Crashes

Hi everyone!
I have been experiencing a non-consistent problem with my Elev-8. I can often get in some 10-15 minute flights, gaining some altitude and distance. But, occasionally the copter will flip (roll) 180 degrees and head straight (upside) down. This has happened anywhere from 7 to 20 feet in altitude resulting in damage to motor mounts and props.

I really do not know where to start. I have been looking at the sensor data stream, but do not know if it is the flight controller or the transmitter or even the esc. I took screenshots of the sensor data to try to analyze, but really do not know where to start. Sometimes the Yaw Data is off the charts.

I have done the Accel and Gyro calibration many times.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • Welcome to the forums, your first post..well you have been signed up since 2015 :)

Which version of the ELEV8 you you have? The controller matters. Version 1 and 2 have the Hoverfly controller, while the Version 3 has the Parallax Flight Controller.
    Infernal Machine
  • I have been a reader on the forums occasionally, First time poster.

I have the V3 with the Parallax controller. I use 2.0.1 firmware and groundstation software. I also have the xBee setup to log data.
  • Sorry for late response. I've been absent for a LONG time! Anyway, I've had a similar problem which turned out to be a bad solder joint. Check all wires going from the ESC's to the power distribution harness - all bullets should have a strong mechanical attachment - you should not be able to twist or pull a connector off...
  • I will check that, but I feel that it may be a buggy flight controller. When I log data, the Z-accelerometer/gyro seem to be logging high values, like 12,000 when others are really low.
    Maybe I’ll post the logs.

I would like to try to read the code to analyze just those sensors, then understand the math with the radio receiver.

I plan of removing the FC and ESCs to troubleshoot the basic systems.

Thanks!
  • I am planning on replacing my APM 2.6 F.C. on my Elev-8 first and then try replacing the receiver in order to solve my "No R/C" error. Here is a video I made when I rebuilt my Elev-8 after it crashed: https://youtube.com/watch?v=kanE9stMyyw

• GlassKNees wrote: »
    I am planning on replacing my APM 2.6 F.C. on my Elev-8 first and then try replacing the receiver in order to solve my "No R/C" error. Here is a video I made when I rebuilt my Elev-8 after it crashed: https://youtube.com/watch?v=kanE9stMyyw

Not sure that helps the OP as he has a Parallax Flight Controller.
    Infernal Machine
  • mcogs wrote: »
    I will check that, but I feel that it may be a buggy flight controller. When I log data, the Z-accelerometer/gyro seem to be logging high values, like 12,000 when others are really low.
    Maybe I’ll post the logs.

I would like to try to read the code to analyze just those sensors, then understand the math with the radio receiver.

I plan of removing the FC and ESCs to troubleshoot the basic systems.

Thanks!

I can send you a known working Flight Controller for testing. PM me your address.
    Infernal Machine
  • Uh, I was suggesting that he check solder connections as a bad connection has caused a couple of crashes. I added the bit about my APM flight controller "No R/C" problem as an aside - by the way, I solved the problem - I bought a new APM and just installed and configured it - the aircraft arms and flies as good as new.