Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Old Servo Controller — Parallax Forums

Old Servo Controller

Anyone have the product sheet for the old Parallax Servo Controller, prior to the PSC USB? I had it on my Windoze computer, but (surprise, surprise) it crashed! :-|

Anywho... thanks for any help!

Amanda

Comments

• Hi @ajward

Are you looking for the serial version of Parallax Servo Controller (#28023) - Rev B?

If so, then you could find many references to it, including its manual, by typing #28023 at the forums Search box:

https://forums.parallax.com/search?Search=Servo_Controller_Manual_Rev_B_v2_3.pdf
  • Aha... Many thanks! All I could seem to find was the USB. :smile:

Amanda
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2018-03-17 15:11
    Even if products are out of production, it doesn't mean they all cease to exist or that people don't need help with them. Parallax has an obligation to maintain an online documentation library for obsolete items.

My Kenmore washing machine must be sixty years old, but I can still get parts and scanned instructions for it from Sears.

-Phil
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2018-03-17 09:04
    My Kenmore washing machine must be sixty years old

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2018-03-17 16:19
    Phil's washing machine:

phil%27s%20washer.jpg
    236 x 314 - 11K
  • Phil does have a point. It was one of my biggest gripes when I worked at Parallax. Answering tech support either through the forum or on a phone call and not being able to find adequate information on an old discontinued product, or to have it buried so deep it was impractical to navigate and find in a timely manor. The thought process was to introduce the newest or latest model and I can understand that to a degree, but that doesn't justify not keeping a searchable product database. Storage is relatively cheap these days and it almost takes more effort to remove something I would think. Besides keeping that kind of information around has a way of spawning new solution ideas and possibly some future product.
    Besides keeping that kind of information around has a way of spawning new solution ideas and possibly some future product.

+1. I get new ideas every time I review Forest Mims' electronics books from 1980. He presents the same circuits ten different ways and gives lots of ideas.

• The thought process was to introduce the newest or latest model and I can understand that to a degree, but that doesn't justify not keeping a searchable product database. Storage is relatively cheap these days and it almost takes more effort to remove something I would think. Besides keeping that kind of information around has a way of spawning new solution ideas and possibly some future product.

I despise companies that remove documentation for obsolete products.
  • This one is an oversight. I did a bit of searching and the USB PSC docs are still available. I've asked the web team to locate the product and reactivate the documentation.

It's our goal to keep all old documentation on the web site.

Ken Gracey
  • Just wanted to point out the OP wanted "...the old Parallax Servo Controller, prior to the PSC USB"
  • Just wanted to point out the OP wanted "...the old Parallax Servo Controller, prior to the PSC USB"

I understand, Beau. I was only pointing out that the instructions for the newer model were still available.

Ken Gracey

• Ken

Just so you know, I was not referring to Parallax.... Although it may have looked like I was.... Sorry if that was misleading.
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    This one is an oversight. I did a bit of searching and the USB PSC docs are still available. I've asked the web team to locate the product and reactivate the documentation.

Ken Gracey

With only a few years of experience with Parallax one of many things I noticed that they do well is adapt.

• idbruce wrote: »
    Ken

Just so you know, I was not referring to Parallax.... Although it may have looked like I was.... Sorry if that was misleading.

I understood as such. Even if you were referring to us, it's okay. We have thick skin and there's always room for improvement.

We can do better, but I'm not sure about 60 years of support.

Ken Gracey

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2018-03-19 01:18
    Ken Gracey wrote:
    ... but I'm not sure about 60 years of support.
    Oh, gosh. My grand-nephews and -nieces (not born yet), who ultimately inherit my Parallax stuff, are gonna have a rough time.

Sorry, kids!

-Phil

:)
    PhiPi, you are surely the Grandest Uncle of all.
    Just wanted to point out the OP wanted "...the old Parallax Servo Controller, prior to the PSC USB"

Phew. I thought Amanda was calling me out as the "Old Servo Controller". On second thought, I might actually like that.

• 28023 Product Guide Rev B Ver 2.4 is now available as a download on Parallax.com.

As always, if you notice a particular set of documentation missing from our website, email us about it and we'll see if we can track it down.

Please refrain from casting blame for small human errors or oversights, and instead help us identify opportunities to recover and re-post files that were likely overlooked during the Parallax.com move a number of years ago.

Thank you.

• Thank you! A number kind of come to mind, but I'll have be sure I don't have them somewheres.
    I am looking for the Propeller demo board, Rev. A.

Fingers crossed!

Amanda
  • YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2018-03-19 20:25
    Hi Amanda

Here it is, as presented by Chip, on April 2006.

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/85107/new-propeller-demo-board-photo-and-schematic

But it was the REV B, board and schematic, in the .bmp and .pdf files.

Since at the time I wasn't yet at the forums, I don't know if there was a REV A board, anywhere else.

Maybe some engineering samples.

I'll leave to the Masters the duty of finding it. :smile:

Henrique
  • That one is pretty close although I have the Rev. A model.
    The 4-pin header is my addition.
    100_2184.jpg
    2832 x 2128 - 982K
  • I am confused! OP (and post title ) is about Servo Control. Latest post from OP is Demo Board?
    Jim
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    RS_Jim wrote: »
    I am confused! OP (and post title ) is about Servo Control. Latest post from OP is Demo Board?
    Jim

As far as staying on the original topic his post went off the rails fast, but in a good way. Documents for two older modules found and made accessible, and forum users encouraged to help recover other missing docs.
  • And this is why I hang on to my 60+-year-old Kenmore washer and dryer:

8fv8odwsuhp01.jpg

They're fixable, and the repair parts are not expensive.

:)

-Phil