Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Honk if You Love Blockly - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Honk if You Love Blockly

2»

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2017-03-30 05:11
    Ken Gracey wrote:
    It doesn't just look that way; it is that way.
    Got it! :)

-Phil
  • So, I will chime in as a former "Blockly avoider" I avoided Blockly simply because I was under the impression that it only worked with the S3 and my daughter has an S2. I recently found out from Ken that it does work with the S2, so I took another look at it this past week.
    While I do not see myself using it much, I see my daughter (11 yrs old) digging in to it deeply. She has been doing projects on Code.org which is Block Based programming converted to Javascript in online screens/games. The Blockly interface is essentially the same, but she;ll get to work with something in the physical world, the S2.

Blockly has a place in teaching fundamentals for people who don't understand text based languages yet. For me, I can do in SPIN anything I want to, so using Blockly isn't of much interest. But, until my daughter is in the same boat, Blockly will get her foundation started at her own pace and time.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Fascinating replies in this thread.

Students want this solution. Unless you've taught in a class where you have two options: text-based coding or visual programming (with Blockly), you may not fully understand the benefit of this tool from a student's perspective. For them, it speeds their projects forward, eliminates syntax issues, and helps them understand program flow very easily. Students will chose it over languages very quickly.

In most programming classes there's a small percentage of students who really want to program, who learn because they like it and they're inspired to sprint forward beyond the rest of the class (and the instructor). Everybody can code to some extent, but not everybody really needs to really code. Everybody needs to be familiar with coding and this gives everybody a chance to participate. In an organization like Parallax, there are people who work in non-engineering positions like social media, marketing, sales, and tech support who understand our products very well but generally "don't code" daily. Tools like Blockly bring them closer to understanding programming and make them equally useful for the purposes of their own roles.

You need to be part of our target audience to really appreciate these things. If you're a professional programmer or skilled hobbyist this looks like cartoon coding or and leaves too many unknowns behind the scenes. Loose bits, memory usage, and feeling like it's abstracted a bit too much would be a concern.

In education Blockly is considered a "bridge" to text-based languages.

Makes perfect sense.

For those wanting to move on to Text-based Languages, there are some interesting videos in the link
    (start from the bottom up)
    http://www.plcacademy.com/structured-text-tutorial/
    Usual IDE, but when they reach RUN it gets interesting - the variables now have values attached, so there is live simulation built in. Looks great for teaching.
    Unclear if that is binary-simulation, or higher level, I'll check some more.
  • I have this Activity Bot with gripper that doesn't even have it's wheel servo's mounted. I would be happy to try Blocky with that, if there could be a local server set up. I hadn't done much with it, as not wanting to be distracted from programming the BS2 or the Propeller in spin. If I don't have to get down to intricate coding for something like this, I may use it. Sometimes you just need a no-brainer to keep things fun, but kids do have it too easy these days.
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    I have this Activity Bot with gripper that doesn't even have it's wheel servo's mounted. I would be happy to try Blocky with that, if there could be a local server set up.

We haven't provided build instructions to set up a local server, but maybe a community member will adopt the project and figure it out. If a local server is a requirement for you then I'd not get started with Blockly because you will be in for some disappointment and would find it faster to program the whole system in assembly language.

Should you not require a local server then jump in and get started, but you will need our new ActivityBot blocks. These are sitting in the demo and will be uploaded soon. Documentation for their use won't be released until the end of April, but you'll have a pretty good idea how they work just by looking at them (especially if you look at our ActivityBot C resources).

Ken Gracey

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-03-30 17:51
    Ken, I'm in no hurry, but this would make a good Blockly platform. And a way to get the grand kids involved. After all every robot deserves a life, right?
    3264 x 1836 - 2M
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Nice tires, Mike! You going off-road?
  • erco wrote: »
    Nice tires, Mike! You going off-road?

I may need a tow-bot. :thumb:
  • I have always thought of blocky as a great GUI for end users that don't want to write code.

• Can you say BlocklyProp five times fast.
  • So how does one play with blocky? I've got a ppdb
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-04-02 14:37
    http://blockly.parallax.com/blockly/

Get the BlocklyBlock Client download at the bottom of the page.

More info:

https://www.parallax.com/product/blocklyprop

http://learn.parallax.com/support/reference/activity-board-wx-block-reference

EDIT: Ken's link is better than mine.

• Shawn Lowe wrote: »
    So how does one play with blocky? I've got a ppdb

Start here, too:

http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/language/blocklyprop

• LevLev Posts: 182
    edited 2017-03-30 23:11
    Fascinating replies in this thread.

Students want this solution. Unless you've taught in a class where you have two options: text-based coding or visual programming (with Blockly), you may not fully understand the benefit of this tool from a student's perspective. For them, it speeds their projects forward, eliminates syntax issues, and helps them understand program flow very easily. Students will chose it over languages very quickly.

In most programming classes there's a small percentage of students who really want to program, who learn because they like it and they're inspired to sprint forward beyond the rest of the class (and the instructor). Everybody can code to some extent, but not everybody really needs to really code. Everybody needs to be familiar with coding and this gives everybody a chance to participate.

Ken Gracey

I am a high school teacher and have been using microcontrollers in after school clubs for a long time. Ken knows what he is talking about! Many students are accustomed to the quick satisfaction they get from surfing and social media, and get frustrated by the attention to detail required by traditional coding. A graphical interface helps engage them right away. They can learn Spin, C, Basic or whatever later. I enjoy seeing the interest grow in kids who never considered signing up for a traditional programming class.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2017-03-30 23:55
    Great to hear from an actual teacher. And great to hear this is working out well.

What age kids are we talking about exactly here? I have a hard time relating American "High School" to my old Secondary/Grammar schools back in England.

I kind of recall that by the time we were introduced to programming in BASIC, at age 15 before there were any micro-computers around, it seemed like a natural extension of the algebra and stuff we had been studying for years already. Maths has it's notation, so do programming languages, no problem.

Heater. wrote: »
    Great to hear from an actual teacher. And great to hear this is working out well.

+1, thanks for your input, Lev!

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2017-03-31 18:02
    Heater. wrote: »

I'm an actual teacher too. We're not creating this Blockly system only because we think it's neat and we're going to sell lots of products; we're doing it as a result of research, planning, and need in education. Today there are so many KickStarter-based single-product "STEM learning systems" that educators are confused by the offerings and are rightfully unsure of where to put their investment of time and resources. We've been working in education for well over 20 years now and the rapport we've developed is so much more than business. It's trust, reliability and consistency.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-31%20at%2010.53.34%20AM.png
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Ah, Ken, you beat me to it. I was about to post here correcting myself a bit.

I recalled that your dad, Chuck, told me you had got your teaching credentials. Great stuff.

Say hello to Chuck and Mrs. Chuck for me. I had a great ride with them down from Red Bluff.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Say hello to Chuck and Mrs. Chuck for me. I had a great ride with them down from Red Bluff.

Absolutely! Shall do.

Since you reminded me, I'm supposed to talk to Chip today. Where is he. . .Chip, Chip! Something about P2 layout.
  • KeithEKeithE Posts: 957
    edited 2017-03-31 22:49
    I just wanted to mention that if you search for "propeller blockly" on google it returns this link which appears to be broken: https://blockly.parallax.com

Edit: If you change https to http then it works. I'll have to try another browser

(The other link given in this thread https://www.parallax.com/product/blocklyprop works fine.)
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »

I'm an actual teacher too.

Can you homeschool kids with such a credential?

• The_Master wrote: »

This might answer your question, or raise some more. Interesting detail: Notice that CA teachers have to pass a US Constitution course or test out of it.

http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl888.pdf

• The_Master wrote: »

I'm an actual teacher too.

We home schooled our two girls for a year and a half, no credentials needed. You have to pick up and drop off the latest material, teachers made sure we had a grasp of the curriculum.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-04-01 15:12
    My one daughter had her kids in the modern version of home schooling, the state provided computers and desks, plus anything else thats needed, even basic cable + internet. Online interactions with the teacher at scheduled times.

http://www.k12.com/k12-education/student-success.html
    That's a great article, Ken. Many excellent points in there.
  • MikeDYur wrote: »

As noted in CA you don't need a credential to homeschool your own charges. In some district and with certain waivers, a parent can even develop his or her own curriculum and not interact with the teachers quite so much (we homeschooled our son for 10 years until he was ready to be mainstreamed in high school).

But the point I wanted to make is that solutions like Blockly, and turnkey products like the S3, are the perfect companion for homeschooling. Parents are seldom technically experienced enough to guide their own home robotics curriculum. Ken noted they're not doing this solely to sell lots of product, but they likely will anyway, because there's a solid need for this kind of teaching platform.

If you'd done home schooling for a child with special needs, as we have, then you've likely used manipulatives and other tools to enhance the student's learning experience. These tools can be very effective for all learners, but particularly those that need help in visualizing a process. I see Blockly as a virtual extension of this. In no way does Blockly (or Scratch or others like it) prevent further study using textual programming. It doesn't deprive students of anything, or set them off in the wrong course.

I say well done, Ken and Parallax. I appreciate that you went with Blockly rather than Scratch. Just say no to Adobe Flash. Heater's gotta enjoy a 100% JavaScript solution!