Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fried another Propeller! Please help! — Parallax Forums

Fried another Propeller! Please help!

henrycleverhenryclever Posts: 15
edited 2017-02-16 16:06 in Robotics
Hello, I am looking for some help in getting my system up and working and I'm kind of stuck at the moment.

I have fried my second propeller since ordering more! Kind of frustrated.

I attached a picture of how I connected my Arlo bot. I have another motor being powered off of my Arlo base—this motor is controlled from my computer through an RS232 signal. When I do NOT have this motor connected, the base drives just fine. When I have the Propeller disconnected, the other motor works just fine. However, If I hook up both of them (as shown in schematic) and turn on the switch to power the other motor, it fries my Propeller! At least, the USB power input no longer works but the Aux power input will turn it on. Either way, I can no longer upload code to it.

My suspicion is that because the RS-232 from the motor operates on a +/-10V potential, it alters the ground potential and sends a small surge of power through the servo pins, frying the Propeller.

On the first propeller I fried, I thought the issue was something else so I checked all my connections and redid it as shown in the diagram, but the result was not good. Can you help me with this? I feel like I have done everything that I should have done, and now I’m out an $80 board and not sure where to proceed.

Photo%201_zpslg4pmjp5.jpg
Thank you,

Henry C.

Comments

• Admin: moved to Robotics category.
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Admin: moved to Robotics category.

Thank you!

-H
  • It looks like you may be powering the Propeller from USB and another source. What board are you using? Is it capable of switching between the two power sources.
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    It looks like you may be powering the Propeller from USB and another source. What board are you using? Is it capable of switching between the two power sources.

Mike,

I'm just connecting the Propeller to the DHB-10 motor control board in the way that Parallax instructs in the Arlo manual. The Propeller uses P12 and P13 servo pins to run each side of the DHB-10. It works fine this way without the extra motor hooked up. Here is a link the the instructions:
    http://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/robot/arlo/arlo-robot-assembly-guide/section-7-control-components-and-dhb-10-connections-2

Beyond that, I'm not sure.

Thanks,
    -H
  • Just clarifying something: are you frying the Propeller itself, or just the USB-serial IC?
  • What are the other boards being used?

I recently killed an Activity Board by powering it from a battery and USB at the same time.

What are the connections between the DHB-10 board and other Propeller board?
  • What is the "Smart Motor" thingie? Not a Parallax part?

There may be a ground connection missing somewhere
  • Don't see a motor battery in the mix.
  • Seairth wrote: »
    Just clarifying something: are you frying the Propeller itself, or just the USB-serial IC?

I'm only frying the Propeller. The USB->RS232 connector is fine.
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    What are the other boards being used?

I recently killed an Activity Board by powering it from a battery and USB at the same time.

What are the connections between the DHB-10 board and other Propeller board?

I'm not using any other boards except another Dynamixel2USB connector for a Dynamixel motor communicating via RS485. I left this out because it has no effect on either and always works regardless. The system as a whole is running on a PC with ROS (publisher/subscriber architecture) using ChrisL8's propeller and Linux ROS software listed here: https://github.com/chrisl8/ArloBot
    Publison wrote: »
    What is the "Smart Motor" thingie? Not a Parallax part?

There may be a ground connection missing somewhere

The Smart Motor is an Animatics Servo, an SM2315DT-BRK. It actually runs on 24 V--the switch also has another 12V battery connected in series with it. I left that out of the schematic, but if we really need it, I'll redraw the schematic with this included.

I do suspect a grounding issue, I just haven't cracked it yet. If the DHB-10 and the Propeller are disconnected from each other but everything else is turned "ON" except the Smart Motor, then the ground difference between the computer (and Propeller) and the DHB-10 (ground is same as batteries, Smart Motor, and Dynamixel) is 2.6 volts. However, when I turn "on" the motor, this ground changes from 2.6 to 0 V. If a wire is just connected directly from the computer USB to the batteries (independent of the Propeller), then it balances the ground in both locations so it goes from 0.004 V to 0.000 V on my multimeter when the Smart Motor is turned on, which I think is negligible.

I believe this 2.6 V is due to something in the USB/RS232 connector, because it essentially steps the RS232 TX/RX signal down from 10V (well 9.78 to be exact) to the normal USB voltage of 5.

Warmth,
    Henry C.

• Just checking... your not expecting gnd from one of the dhb10 motor terminals?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    I can't help but think this is a ground-loop issue. And knowing now that you're also adding in another battery in series with the tap from the Arlo really enforces this idea. You may very well find your voltages at various points aren't what you expect when everything is connected in this manner.
  • Here is another picture of my system:
    IMG_1062_zpsqi8aocqg.jpg

The RS232/USB connector is by the bottom wheel. The switch that says operate is what turns on the motor.

I have checked and rechecked my voltages, and everything seems to be what I would expect. The ground of the Smart motor is the same as all the others, as the extra battery (-) side is connected to the (+) side of the other batteries, so it is the only part that has 24V.

Any tips for solving this presumably ground loop issue?

-H

• I should also note that the aluminum panel is definitely not touching any of the connections to cause a short, I have doubled checked this.

-H
    Just checking... your not expecting gnd from one of the dhb10 motor terminals?

Not sure what you mean here. I expect the ground of my DHB-10 input power to be the same as all my other grounds, which it is.

-H
  • I meant to make sure you didn't have anything else connected to the motor terminals.

Your photo gives the answer as I can see you only have the wheel motors at the terminals. So that is all good.

Can you illustrate how the 2 batteries are wired?
  • Another... can you confirm the voltage select headers on the pabwx are set to 5v (not vin).

Just can't quite make that detail out in the photo, so that might be something!
    I meant to make sure you didn't have anything else connected to the motor terminals.

Your photo gives the answer as I can see you only have the wheel motors at the terminals. So that is all good.

Can you illustrate how the 2 batteries are wired?

The diagram above was a simplified version of my circuit. Here is the in-depth one. It is wires so if the switch is down, then all the batteries are in parallel so they can charge together. If the switch is up, disconnects B3 from the parallel circuit and puts it into series. I have confirmed that all the voltages are are what I think they should be.
    IMG_1063_zpsu3zxwwec.jpg
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Another... can you confirm the voltage select headers on the pabwx are set to 5v (not vin).

Just can't quite make that detail out in the photo, so that might be something!
    The voltage select headers are definitely set to 5v.

After thinking through this again, I suspect the 'pole 1' in the circuit might have something to do with it, because in 'charge' mode the motor is entirely disconnected. Is it possible that the "surge" would go away if I just hardwired the motor ground to the other ground so that pole 1 would just be always shorted?

Thanks,
    Henry C.
  • henrycleverhenryclever Posts: 15
    edited 2017-02-16 18:51
    AH I messed up a bit on the schematic above. The motor's (-) connection is actually on the top of that switch pole, not the bottom of it, so it is a closed circuit when the switch is flipped to "operate". I.e., the motor ground is disconnected by the switch if the batteries are all in parallel.

H
  • I can't check your diagram at the moment, but based on your text I would like to make clear that the dhb10 motor outputs are not standard +ve and gnd. Those motor output terminals (either the screw terminal or the sip header) must go direct to the wheel motors, and no where else.

The input to the dhb10 is your system +ve and gnd, so those wires would go to your 12v power source, perhaps via your switch or the arlo pdb switches.

If you had either of the motor cables hooking into your common ground, then stuff will go bang!

The same could be true of the smart motor gadget you have, so it might be worth checking your connections at that device. Especially if your mixing 12 and 24v. Chris mentioned groundloops already. Can you run all the motors on 12v? at least for simplification/troubleshooting.

Sorry if this reiterates something youve got right already, but system gnd joing one of the motor (output) terminals would be a candidate for your issue.
    I can't check your diagram at the moment, but based on your text I would like to make clear that the dhb10 motor outputs are not standard +ve and gnd. Those motor output terminals (either the screw terminal or the sip header) must go direct to the wheel motors, and no where else.

They are connected directly to the wheel motors. The system drives and works fine (without the Smart motor)
    The input to the dhb10 is your system +ve and gnd, so those wires would go to your 12v power source, perhaps via your switch or the arlo pdb switches.

If you had either of the motor cables hooking into your common ground, then stuff will go bang!

The input to the dhb-10 is connected to +12v and ground. See the black and yellow wires in the previous picture I posted.
    The same could be true of the smart motor gadget you have, so it might be worth checking your connections at that device. Especially if your mixing 12 and 24v. Chris mentioned groundloops already. Can you run all the motors on 12v? at least for simplification/troubleshooting.

Sorry if this reiterates something youve got right already, but system gnd joing one of the motor (output) terminals would be a candidate for your issue.

Smart motor definitely has +24V. I cannot run it on 12V.

Henry
  • Got a quick look at your diagram. Gnd path doesn't look right. Both +ve and gnd appear to be switched via the smart motor gadget. Im assuming that's vin to the smart motor? Do you have a partnumber for that device?

I'd suggest you think through the cabling again, and if I dont see any other help or eureka moments posted here, then I'l be able to print your wiremap to take a proper look in the morning.

Btw... the overall build looks really neat and tidy! Like it!
  • henrycleverhenryclever Posts: 15
    edited 2017-02-16 23:49
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Got a quick look at your diagram. Gnd path doesn't look right. Both +ve and gnd appear to be switched via the smart motor gadget. Im assuming that's vin to the smart motor? Do you have a partnumber for that device?

I'd suggest you think through the cabling again, and if I dont see any other help or eureka moments posted here, then I'l be able to print your wiremap to take a proper look in the morning.

Btw... the overall build looks really neat and tidy! Like it!

Hi VonSzarvas,

Thank you for the compliment, and the continued help/interest!

The ground to the Smart Motor is switched by "pole 1" on the triple pole switch. Do you think that this is what is causing the problem? That perhaps instead of the current design, I should just always have the ground of the Smart Motor connected? More details on the voltage issues and the partnumber (it is an Animatics SM2315DT-BRK) for the Smart Motor listed in my previous posted at 12:16 PM.

I will be working on this from 12-6 EST tomorrow afternoon - I need to have it fixed ASAP (other people are counting on me :) )

Here are my two next steps, if anyone in the loop, please feel free to suggest something else:

1. Add 100 ohm resistors to all wires between the Propeller and the DHB-10 to protect the servo pins (P12 and P13) from the suspected surge that is going on - remember, it doesn't fry if these aren't connected.

2. Hardwire the ground of the Smart Motor to other grounds so even if the motor is turned off (by toggling the 24V and the series/parallel switchup), the ground is always connected.

Other suggestions to protect my last Propeller? It is no fun to debug things when the nearest limiting factor is to blow up an $80 part or not.

Thank you for your help!
    Henry C.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    @Henry

I took a look at the schematic you posted and was having a bit of a hard time following the connections so I redrew with the correction you posted.

Please verify that by "AH I messed up a bit on the schematic above. The motor's (-) connection is actually on the top of that switch pole, not the bottom of it" you mean the - connection of the smart motor should go to the top of pole1 of the switch. That makes more sense than having it on the bottom.

I see that the negative connection of the smart motor goes to the negative output of the 5A motor out connection. I would have thought that it would go to the negative connection of battery B2 so that the smart motor would receive 24V when batteries B2 and B3 were switched from parallel to series.
    942 x 1154 - 90K
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    By adding the connection shown in red and moving the smart motor negative connection to the negative connection of battery B2 you can switch between battery B2 and B3 providing 12V in parallel to the arlo input, or 24V in series to the smart motor.
    942 x 1154 - 88K
  • @Henry-
    kwinn seems to have figured a solution :)

As you said in your 2nd idea above, just be sure you are not cutting the ground path between the DHB10, AB and the battery. Keep them always connected and only switch the +12V into the DHB10 and the +24V into the Smart Motor.

At the moment (when powered by USB), your AB relies on the DHB10 for local ground. If you are switching off that ground supply, then your ground path suddenly becomes a big unknown loop, sinking up the USB cable to the PC.

If you are not planning on powering the AB from the PDB in the future, then adding a jumper from the AB ground to the PDB ground might be considered for extra protection if a crucial cable becomes unexpectedly disconnected.

Incidently, that smart motor datasheet shows 5V TTL I/O control pins. Have you considered dropping the pc-usb-rs232 cable, and instead run the smart-motor off the AB directly? A couple of the AB servo headers have built-in series 3.9K resistors, so they are compatible with 5V TTL. Or add your own series resistor to a spare propeller I/O. If doing that, going with 10K-100K series would provide tougher protection.

Hope you figure this out today!
  • kwinn wrote: »
    @Henry

I took a look at the schematic you posted and was having a bit of a hard time following the connections so I redrew with the correction you posted.

Please verify that by "AH I messed up a bit on the schematic above. The motor's (-) connection is actually on the top of that switch pole, not the bottom of it" you mean the - connection of the smart motor should go to the top of pole1 of the switch. That makes more sense than having it on the bottom.

I see that the negative connection of the smart motor goes to the negative output of the 5A motor out connection. I would have thought that it would go to the negative connection of battery B2 so that the smart motor would receive 24V when batteries B2 and B3 were switched from parallel to series.

Hi kwinn,

First, thanks for investing your time in this. Yes, you correctly interpreted my comment. The negative connection is connected to the negative side of the 5 A output which is just the same as the (-) side of battery B2. All the negative sides of the connectors on that power board are connected to a common ground.

kwinn wrote: »
    By adding the connection shown in red and moving the smart motor negative connection to the negative connection of battery B2 you can switch between battery B2 and B3 providing 12V in parallel to the arlo input, or 24V in series to the smart motor.

Instead of that red wire from pole 3 going directly to the connection of battery 2, I have it wired to the + size of the 5 amp output to keep my Smart Motor Fused. So yeah, it's basically the same as your second diagram, so as far as I see, nothing should be changed on that end except possibly suggestions (1) and (2) I listed previously.

Henry
    @Henry-
    kwinn seems to have figured a solution :)

As you said in your 2nd idea above, just be sure you are not cutting the ground path between the DHB10, AB and the battery. Keep them always connected and only switch the +12V into the DHB10 and the +24V into the Smart Motor.
    Good to know!

At the moment (when powered by USB), your AB relies on the DHB10 for local ground. If you are switching off that ground supply, then your ground path suddenly becomes a big unknown loop, sinking up the USB cable to the PC.
    By this ground supply, do you mean the ground of the smart motor or a different one? Just want to be sure I know what you mean.

If you are not planning on powering the AB from the PDB in the future, then adding a jumper from the AB ground to the PDB ground might be considered for extra protection if a crucial cable becomes unexpectedly disconnected.

What is the PDB?

Incidently, that smart motor datasheet shows 5V TTL I/O control pins. Have you considered dropping the pc-usb-rs232 cable, and instead run the smart-motor off the AB directly? A couple of the AB servo headers have built-in series 3.9K resistors, so they are compatible with 5V TTL. Or add your own series resistor to a spare propeller I/O. If doing that, going with 10K-100K series would provide tougher protection.

Sounds like a good idea, however, I only have a software driver for the RS-232 side. While I'm sure this is possible, I'd rather just add a ground in the loop or a couple resistors-I am better at hardware.
    Hope you figure this out today!

Thanks!

H
  • What is the PDB?

Stands for "Propeller Development Board".
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-02-17 17:47
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    What is the PDB?

Stands for "Propeller Development Board".

I think the reference was to the Power Distribution Board:

https://www.parallax.com/product/28996

The Propeller Development Board is usually referred to as PPBD, (Propellor Professional Development Board).

EDIT: The BS2 Development Board was referred to as PDB, so I see where the reference was.

• Publison wrote: »
    EDIT: The BS2 Development Board was referred to as PDB, so I see where the reference was.

Sorry, what does the "P" stand for?

Personal maybe.