Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop Watch — Parallax Forums

Prop Watch

Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
edited 2016-10-23 08:06 in Propeller 1
I've just posted in my Tachyon thread about how I have been using those cheap and small 1.44" TFT displays. Now I'm looking at packaging the components into a wrist band as a "Prop Watch". Since I am using Bluetooth I can communicate with Tachyon from my PC or even my phone and reprogram the functions. I also have some sensors so I'm including those too although I'd log all that info to the micro SD card as well. Perhaps I might even play music from it too! Maybe a small ESP8266 module as well.

One of the practical things I will be doing with it immediately is using it as my portable Prop programmer so that I can plug a cable into the Prop Watch and plug into production or field units and either copy or program the device using Tachyon's FAT32 file-system. This function also includes serial numbers and network addresses.

A small 5-way tactile switch will be my main control for the unit but all of it should fit neatly into a wristband with the electronics housed in an SD memory card case (for the moment) placed on the bottom of the wrist with only the LCD and the 5-way switch on top.

propwatch%20components.jpg

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Nice work Peter :)
  • Very cool, Peter!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    That's brilliant!

And even has a practical use. Unlike Apple watches and such..
  • Heater. wrote: »
    That's brilliant!

Lol
    Jim

• Never seen a card holder that small, and where is the crystal? Neat that all fits in something the size of a memory card box. Are there ready made project boxes with straps for this sort of thing?
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    Never seen a card holder that small, and where is the crystal? Neat that all fits in something the size of a memory card box. Are there ready made project boxes with straps for this sort of thing?

I have a stack of these card holders from some cheap ebay cards I bought one time. I'm looking for a smaller battery but I will work with what I've got at the moment but if I separate the two halfs of the holder I can use it as a shell around the battery and the electronics. The Bluetooth has been stuck to the back of the P8 module and the ESP8266 module has been placed on top of the Prop chip so it is very compact at present. The LCD will also sit inside half a card holder but with a clear cover that I will fabricate. As for the strap I have toyed with the idea that if I use ribbon cable then when you put it on your wrist and as you connect the strap together you power it up!

• More useful than Dick Tracy's two way wrist radio!
    Jim
  • I know I had seen project boxes you wear on the wrist, Google found this pic, kind of ridiculous. Don't let it get out of control.
    288 x 144 - 5K
  • Heater. wrote: »
    That's brilliant!

What is its practical use?

• David,
    Peter said in his first post that he could use it to program devices in the field!

Jim
  • RS_Jim wrote: »
    David,
    Peter said in his first post that he could use it to program devices in the field!

Jim
    Ah, I missed that. That does sound useful. I can't do that with my Apple Watch.

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-10-23 21:00
    Peter, just an idea to run past you, acrylic can be done in layers and fused together with acetone. Maybe to make your design more repellent to the elements.
    970 x 728 - 145K
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    Peter, just an idea to run past you, acrylic can be done in layers and fused together with acetone. Maybe to make your design more repellent to the elements.

Very interesting idea!

Could be cut with a dremel for the prototypes, then laser cut for production.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-10-23 22:47
    MikeDYur wrote: »

I have a 3D printer which I will eventually use once I have a better idea about form but I do like the idea of layers. As long as I get it functional first I can experiment. Thanks for the idea.

• Cluso99 wrote: »
    Could be cut with a dremel for the prototypes, then laser cut for production.

What would an edge on acrylic look like, cut by a laser? I feel very restricted in my creativity. You guys have the great options of CNC laser cutters and 3D printing machines, Oh well I probably would have trouble sleeping at night. ;)

@Peter, Good luck on your project what ever route you go. I know you have to take ergonomics and ruggedness into your design, and that may take more than one material.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2016-10-24 19:31
    Never mind the CNC lasers and 3D printers. Don't be so defeatist.

When Galileo wanted to make a telescope he ground the lenses by hand. My old friend who was into such things ground his own mirrors for a reflecting telescope in the 1980's.

Today the most spherical object in the world is ground by hand.

If you really want to make a thing. Get the materials. Attack them with a hacksaw a file and various grades of sand paper. Polish it up with some silver polish and elbow grease. Or at least that is what I used to do in perspex (acrylic) back in the day.

• Peter, very cool.

A go-to source for OTS wearable enclosures is OKW.
    https://www.okw.com/en/Products/Wearable-enclosures.htm
    (But I do like the idea of the repurposed SD card case!)
    Nice enclosures. But I get nervous when you cannot get a price per unit and they want to do a written quote, after you tell them what your project is.
    edited 2016-10-25 17:19
    While looking at how I could simplify the wiring to the LCD I decided upon attaching a small 8-bit micro in a 16-pin SOIC pack directly to the back of the display and connect to it via asynch serial. That way I only need 3 wires total including power and ground. I have so many micros laying around to choose from but I have a pack of the these EFM8BB10F8 which seem to be the ideal chip for this as it runs at 24MIPs with internal oscillator and I can get it to draw and scale the fonts too. If I connect a small 32kHz crystal I could probably get it to run the display as a clock in low power mode and only power up the Prop when I need to although even flat out the chip draws less than 5ma. Since the EFM8BB is preloaded with a bootloader I can Flash this part over the serial line from the Prop using the hex file from the PC but then again it is fairly simple to write a resident 8051 assembler :)

The micro can be responsible for powering up the Prop too as I decided to use side operated pushbuttons rather than the awkward 5-way switch. So 3 buttons on each side for a total of 6 should be sufficient to scroll through menus etc.

Let's see how this pans out, maybe I should source the bare LCD and make my own modules along with some micro pushbuttons on the edges. This could turn into a neat wearable.

BTW, besides simple serial it probably wouldn't hurt to include I2C as well although I would avoid SPI as that starts adding more external connections.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2016-10-25 17:43
    I looked at the OKW minitec E, the smallest one, for a wearable. They were generous with the samples, but the price was high (~$6 each) at the relatively small quantities I needed. I ended up using the Serpac C2. That's the one I use for my Stache field programmer for the BASIC Stamp as well as other products, so I can get better pricing. It has room for a CR2032 at one end, however, for LiPoly cells, the center post is an obstacle. The idea of field programming a Prop with a "watch" with an SD+display is intriguing and workable I think.
    edited 2016-10-25 17:53
    Then again I want have this running yesterday and while the tiny micro is a good idea I tried sticking one of my single sided P8 modules directly to the display. Best of both worlds!

P8LCD.jpg
    The battery can go into the opposite end of the strap. I also have a tiny ESP8266 smd module that fits over the top of the Prop chip and still sits flush with the micro SD while the Bluetooth module fits to the left of the P8 nice and compact.
    671 x 1007 - 96K
    edited 2016-10-26 04:54
    Managed to spend a couple of hours today wiring and mounting the display and Prop into a case. The Bluetooth module may be placed within the complementary battery housing as I would like the programming cable accessible from there. I will look to see what I can use for the watch band itself or else rely totally upon the ribbon cable. There are six buttons to mount but I just tried mounting one first using the smd legs bent back as through hole. If I do this first along with attaching a wire and resistor then I can just melt it into the side. The buttons are connected up as a series resistor chain with a cap on a single I/O. (1k+1k,2k2,4k7,10k,22k,47k maybe)

Once I get this working I can look at doing a 3D case.PROPWATCH%20pcb.jpg
    640 x 524 - 100K
  • my Stache field programmer for the BASIC Stamp

I have one of those- when it was time to upgrade it you took great care of me :-)

Thank you for that.

Now if only you would make one for a Prop... Stache was a fantastic idea.

edited 2016-10-26 07:12
    bte2 wrote: »

This has been designed for the main purpose of programming a target Prop directly from a selected file, either directly into the EEPROM since my boards have those extra pins on the PropPlug header, or alternatively via the serial port. But I also use the display to read the firmware and status from the target as well as set serial and network numbers while logging all this on the micro SD.

I've just added a 10-pin row socket to the main edge of the P8 so that I can plug in a programming cable. It all seems to work at the moment although there's a EEPROM error (probably solder) but I've loaded Tachyon into RAM and added EXTEND to check it.

Just tested and the I2C is shared with the LCD clk and data. All I needed to do was set the LCD CE high and I could backup, so I will need to add a pullup there.

edit: I actually ended up putting a single row 10-pin header socket along the business side of the P8 which is what I use to initially talk to the Prop with but it looks like this might be a good entry point for my programming cable. I can also see that I could use this for serial protocol analysis and with the help of an A/D pod on the end of the cable I could also do metering and low speed scope!

edited 2016-10-26 07:36
    Getting closer, this is powered through the new programming and accessory header which is actually a 10-pin single row header socket so the edge of it is flush with the left side of the display. The 10 pins connect directly with the side of the P8 that has all the programming signals etc.

As I added to the last post I can also see that I could use this device for serial protocol analysis and with the help of an A/D pod on the end of the cable I could also do metering and low speed scope! As way of a reminder to myself I'd like to add an IR LED, how do ya like them apples you miserable remotes!
    PropWatch%20display.jpg
    522 x 451 - 49K
    edited 2016-10-27 14:36
    The LCD module's "breakout" pcb is getting in my way, all I need is the bare LCD screen and it looks like I can buy these for $1.20 in small lots of 100. In the meantime while I play with my PropWatch I am getting a 3D case designed with a opening for the LCD and a recessed face so I can stick a clear acrylic piece over it. Should look really pro.

The new integrated pcb will be even slimmer than what I have now so it will integrate the Prop, microSD, RTC, ESP32 (WiFi+BLE), and the 10-way interface strip. The RTC may be implemented with a small micro so it can monitor the buttons too.

EDIT: that price might not be $1.20 it seems but I have another link where the price seems like 50 cents going down to 10 cents in larger quantities but that doesn't seem to be right either?
    The manufacturer seems to be Formike.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2016-10-27 19:06
    bte2 wrote: »

This has been designed for the main purpose of programming a target Prop directly from a selected file, either directly into the EEPROM since my boards have those extra pins on the PropPlug header, or alternatively via the serial port. But I also use the display to read the firmware and status from the target as well as set serial and network numbers while logging all this on the micro SD.

The Stache had (still has, for the Stamp only) a rudimentary interface. A bicolor LED and a single pushbutton serve to enter the user's choice of the program to load by number and the status, success or failure. It is easy for a field tech to operate. KISS. However, your plan to have a list of named files to scroll through and the status feedback and other functions looks great. One thing my customers ask for (for the Prop) is indeed the ability to provision a cellular modem/network at a field site. Keep it KISS if others need to use it!