Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Get the most out of your Propeller chip now! — Parallax Forums

Get the most out of your Propeller chip now!

Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
edited 2016-07-22 07:45 in Propeller 1
I'm doing some floating point input and output number conversion support at the moment but having a look at how far Tachyon has come now, even I am amazed. Not only is it very fast and compact, not requiring any special memory enhancement etc but it is also has such a very wide suite of functions that really propels the Propeller to somewhere where it has not been before. Once I polish up the interface on V3 then there's a whole world of functionality at your fingertips, literally. Just say "do" and it does. Who woulda thunk it.

In the last few days I have added the ability to incorporate OBEX ROMS, the PASM part of an object into EEPROM or SD card and invoke it by name at runtime. The floating point ROM will probably be standard and now I also have LMM support especially after I update the assembler. Having a 4-port serial ROM is great too but there are many more ROMs yet to be incorporated or simply added via the assembler that runs in Tachyon itself.

But perhaps the problem is it doesn't do it the same way as other tools do, but if it were done the same way then I'm very sure it wouldn't do what it does either. So the point is if you want the functionality come on-board and try it, it's fun, and just as you went out on a limb and learnt about the Prop, as different a CPU from any other CPU that others just wouldn't try it and turned their noses up at it, but you did, so try Tachyon I say. Even a little bit of positive feedback or suggestions spurs me on just as it has the last couple of days and then we have even more features. Don't give up on the P1, just try another tool with it. Got a larger EEPROM or SD card? Man! you can have the whole kit and caboodle right there.

btw, I'm not trying to detract from other tools, but I get a little excited when I can do so much with this one already, and I'm not talking about how good a "language" is, I'm talking about how effective and fun a tool is.

Comments

• I'm stuck in Dallas -- and living in a dorm on my client's site -- for another week. Time for me to break out one of the PABs in my kit and load up Tachyon! As ever, Peter, I appreciate what you're doing. I have been interested in Forth since I first heard about it in 1986ish, I've just never mastered it. I will be fore the end of the year, and maybe, just maybe, find a way to put it to use in some of my "Hollywood" projects.

Cheers from Texas, mate!
  • For me, learning all the words necessary to do anything complex has always been the biggest barrier. I'm one of those people that need a manual or glossary to reference almost constantly as I learn the language. I've used Tachyon a little, mostly for playing around with new hardware. The glossary is a very important addition. All other documentation is very much appreciated.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    I'm stuck in Dallas -- and living in a dorm on my client's site -- for another week. Time for me to break out one of the PABs in my kit and load up Tachyon! As ever, Peter, I appreciate what you're doing. I have been interested in Forth since I first heard about it in 1986ish, I've just never mastered it. I will be fore the end of the year, and maybe, just maybe, find a way to put it to use in some of my "Hollywood" projects.

Cheers from Texas, mate!

Long time since I've been to Dallas, a lot has changed for sure but living on-site never improves. Then again last time I was in Dallas I was wowing a bunch of engineers with lots of Forth stuff, doing the impossible with as little as possible while downing buds and getting ma necktie cut at the Trail Dust etc etc.

I love getting a new board made up and being able to immediately interact with it bringing various parts of it to life, that's a lot of fun there that I just don't get when I work through a compiler on a PC, even with Spin. So, you will have lots of fun and even more fun once you start thinking Forth, or more correctly, just stop comparing it with what you've been taught, if you can :)
  • I love getting a new board made up and being able to immediately interact with it bringing various parts of it to life, that's a lot of fun there that I just don't get when I work through a compiler on a PC, even with Spin.
    I certainly agree with that. Nice work on this new Tachyon release!

• Mike Green wrote: »
    For me, learning all the words necessary to do anything complex has always been the biggest barrier. I'm one of those people that need a manual or glossary to reference almost constantly as I learn the language. I've used Tachyon a little, mostly for playing around with new hardware. The glossary is a very important addition. All other documentation is very much appreciated.

This needs repeating:

"Forth is a programming environment for creating application-oriented
    languages." Leo Brodie

• I'm doing some floating point input and output number conversion support at the moment but having a look at how far Tachyon has come now, even I am amazed.

HERE is the tool I'm using to check the results from the F32 ROM. Look forward to the Float-IO so my brain doesn't pop. Really nice work.
  • There's quite a few online tools for that sort of thing available and I checked out a couple just to get my head around IEEE-754.

Now, this needs repeating. Anyone can help with documentation but where they can really help is just by saying "help". That is directing attention to a specific problem so holes in the documentation can be identified and sometimes there are things to fix up in Tachyon too. When you teach a bunch of students you get to see their assignments, their work, to look over their shoulder, but very rarely do I even get a glimpse of what anyone is trying to do in Tachyon. That leaves me in the dark in respects to where that "student is coming from" and as we know teaching is not just about knowing but also knowing what the student knows so adjustments can be made to both the way we teach and also what we teach. I'm glad to help, but don't be embarrassed as that is one sure impediment to learning and I don't get to learn about what I need to teach.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    D.P,
    This needs repeating:

languages." Leo Brodie
    I have read that often since I discovered Forth in the early 1980's. I still have no idea what it means. Has anyone ever created a language in Forth, compiled, interpreted, whatever? Do you have any examples?
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    It means, as I understand: whenever you use a programming language like C, it turns out you develop a private scheme, create subroutines etc. In the end, this is YOUR language. In this sense, a language is made from building blocks like words and grammar. Forth is words and grammar and you extend the language to sentences, that make sense. Like Peter did in EXTEND.
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    Heater. wrote: »
    D.P,
    This needs repeating:

languages." Leo Brodie
    I have read that often since I discovered Forth in the early 1980's. I still have no idea what it means. Has anyone ever created a language in Forth, compiled, interpreted, whatever? Do you have any examples?

Hi Heater,

Language in this context does not mean 'programming language' like C/Pascal/... with pages of BNF to describe the syntax.
    It is more like natural languages.
    You speak english - yes - compiled or interpreted??
    See, this is not relevant at this level.
    In FORTH everything is just a WORD seperated by a SPACE (usually). So EVERY sequence of characters seperated by space is a WORD. Even , . ; : ++ >> <hi> >right <left ... /// are all just words. IF THEN etc of course as well.
    Now - since there is nothing more to do at the syntax level we can focus on the WORDs themselves.
    So the syntax for english, spanish, french is basically the same - and very similat to FORTH.
    That's why btw. there is a Forth-DICTIONARY, where all words are listed.

So the term 'application-oriented languages' just means to build an application specific vocabulary.

Peter gives many examples for this in his code and examples.

A nice one is the VGA-driver.
    He defines a PAPER, a PEN, some colors RED, GREEN, BLUE ..., maybe some pen styles FAT THIN NORMAL
    then you can say:
    RED PAPER THIN GREEN PEN
    and this is the new application specific language you then use to 'talk' about the things you want to do.

So in this respect Forth is more like a natural language than a defined conputerlanguage, most readers here think of first.

Thanks ErNa and MJB.

That much of the workings of Forth I do understand to some level. Which is why I never understood "Forth is a programming environment for creating application-oriented
    languages." To my mind I don't care how many words you add to a Forth dictionary or what symbols they are allowed to contain, you are still working in the Forth language, there is no new language magically coming out of this.

Of course one could say the same about C or whatever, add as many new functions and classes as you like for your application, you are still working in C, C++, Java, C# whatever it is.

I'm also not comfortable with the supposed similarity with natural languages. A language like English has a very complex syntax/grammar, nothing like Forth. By contrast Finnish has a very different structure.

The magic thing about Forth, to me at least, is that it seems to have the minimum syntax required to be a high level programming language.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    The magic thing about Forth, to me at least, is that it seems to have the minimum syntax required to be a high level programming language.

I agree. It has the feel of programming in assembly with a macros for constructs like: if, while, for, etc. While you create new macros as you go, you're still programming in the same language.

I'm not knocking FORTH as I actually quite like it. It and Lisp are probably my two favorite programming languages. Although I don't use either of them on a daily basis.

• Heater. wrote: »
    D.P,
    This needs repeating:

languages." Leo Brodie

Read Peter's code examples. Stop looking at the syntax and read the words, other languages force you to read the syntax and interpret the language syntax into meaning. In forth/tachyon the words themselves are the meaning of the application and its actions. Never try to program in Forth, try to make the words in Forth that the application requires to perform the actions.

Really it is a very hard thing to do and people are inherently lazy so they won't take the time to struggle, I won't blame them. Forth is a struggle until it is not, then it's simple. But if forces you to leave your safe space of procedural programming completely in order to be effective.

But, but,...Forth is a procedural programming language.
  • D.PD.P Posts: 790
    edited 2016-07-23 17:57
    No it's not it's a multi threaded stack based interpretive language.

Read the code Heater. Better just keep looking at all the stuff that P1 can do at the same time with Tachyon loaded up full tilt and be amazed. Hat tip to Peter for the ROMs as of late, opens up all of OBEX asm code.

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2016-07-23 19:29
    D.P wrote: »

Interpreted and multithreaded don't alter a language's programming paradigm. Programming paradigms include: declarative, functional, imperative (including procedural), and symbolic. In imperative programming you describe how the computer will accomplish a task and Forth falls into that family.
  • Martin_H wrote: »

Interpreted and multithreaded don't alter a language's programming paradigm. Programming paradigms include: declarative, functional, imperative (including procedural), and symbolic. In imperative programming you describe how the computer will accomplish a task and Forth falls into that family.

You guys are just being picky, you are both smart enough to realize the major differences, I'm gonna just leave it at this an go back to working on my projects using the new F32 ROM. F32 hat tip lonesock et al.

" leading to a programming style that's a bit less procedural than typical C functions"

The key is some people will never overcome the "bit less" part because it is not C.

All the kings OBEX objects cannot put together what is native in Tachyon on the P1 fully loaded and that is do to using FORTH, not C, not Ada, not Pascal, not Basic and OMG not Java. And now there is gobs of memory for a poor Forth/Tachyon programmer like me to waste. Speaking of wasting, those Saturated vapor pressure equations are waiting for me and the F32 ROM, I was loath to translate those to fixed point, if I even could!

One last note, I use CSS, HTML/5, Jquery, javascript, JUI, Backbone, Marionette, CodeIgnitor, C# and manage a large SAP installation professionally, I know extreme differences when I see them.

FORTH/Tachyon is extremely different.

dp

D.P.

Yep, being picky.

If we all use the same terminology the we stand a chance of understanding what is said. It's confusing when people or groups of people use terminology in different ways. We I have to find out what each group means when it uses a particular term to understand what they are talking about.

Sorry for the "pick", thanks for the clarification.

• Martin_H wrote: »

And your point is? What's wrong with Forth being a procedural or imperative language? Aren't C, C++, BASIC, Spin, and PASM the same? I suppose someone might make an argument that Javascript is a functional language or can at least be used in a functional style but it isn't really in the same category as any of the others.

• Peter, I looked at Tachyon awhile back and have always been impressed with your ever-growing list of capabilities. One thing that wasn't clear to me though is how you would go about deploying a finished application for customers. My impression has been that this is a bit implementation specific even in the practical FORTHs which have occasionally been used in industry. Could you tell me a little about how a practical Tachyon application goes from being a word on a dev board to something that just runs for an end user when they turn on the system?
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-07-23 22:17
    As to what classification Forth and maybe even Tachyon falls into is not something I ever worry about. If I was teaching a CS class about different approaches to "programming" per se rather than solving problems then I would need to worry about classifications. Other than that I see no need to worry about it, and this the academics in their armchairs can argue over all they like while I go and just do, and have the fun.

When I first evaluated Forth for use in POS terminals I was designing at the time I wrote this simple bit of code a bit like this:
    6 CAVENDISH BANANAS
    6 JONATHAN APPLES
    1 kg SULTANA GRAPES
    12 VALENCIA ORANGES
    SUB
    20 DOLLARS
    TOTAL

I sure didn't end up writing my software that way but it convinced me that I had a very powerful tool that could be repurposed to suit the application. In this example it no longer looked like Forth, I found what Leo Brodie meant by "Forth is a programming environment for creating application-oriented languages". In my simple example I now had an application-oriented language although the internals were still Forth, the application was also still Forth and was code in that I could combine it this way:
    : SPECIAL
    6 CAVENDISH BANANAS
    6 JONATHAN APPLES
    1 kg SULTANA GRAPES
    12 VALENCIA ORANGES
    ;

Thereafter I could just enter SPECIAL rather than item by item or I could also define:
    : SPECIALS FOR SPECIAL NEXT ;

and simply say 3 SPECIALS.

I found the cheese and it all makes sense to me. I like cheese.
    David Betz,
    And your point is? What's wrong with Forth being a procedural or imperative language?
    I don't think anyone said there was anything wrong with Forth being whatever it is.

Only we are having a quibble over the statement that Forth is not a procedural programming language. Which it clearly is.

Peter is right, academics can invent whatever classifications they like and then debate what belongs where.

On the other hand, us normal people get confused when common terminology is used in uncommon ways.

That's all.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-07-23 23:17
    localroger wrote: »
    Peter, I looked at Tachyon awhile back and have always been impressed with your ever-growing list of capabilities. One thing that wasn't clear to me though is how you would go about deploying a finished application for customers. My impression has been that this is a bit implementation specific even in the practical FORTHs which have occasionally been used in industry. Could you tell me a little about how a practical Tachyon application goes from being a word on a dev board to something that just runs for an end user when they turn on the system?

I've posted whole projects that were implemented commercially a while back. However how it is done in Forth or Tachyon isn't much different to how we do it in any other language. But typically the "main" startup function has to be turnkey and so checks for factory/cold/warm boot, sets defaults, inits modules and devices, launches tasks, and normally sits in a loop although in Forth we leave the console available. But bear in mind that we have the AUTORUN word so I can specify the turnkey word at boot and of course there is the BACKUP word.

I was a little confused by your question because I thought the answer was obvious but I just got to thinking that many people have been exposed to evaluation or toy versions of Forth, you know, the ones that somebody writes just to say they have Forth running, but the real purpose of writing a Forth is normally to get a board running an application. So there is a lot more to it than just having the language basics and it doesn't matter how standard the implementation is, it is of no use unless it can get the board and application running. Tachyon was not written as an exercise in writing a Forth, I had to "forth" myself to do it just so I could write applications more effectively that were also more efficient.

When I find that link to an older project I will paste it back in here.

EDIT: couldn't find the link but here is a project page of a controller I did for a friend of a friend in a very early version of Tachyon and the VGA was run off a simple RS485 network to another Prop with a keypad. The newer versions of Tachyon would do all this so much better again :)
    UPDATED LINK TO A BETTER VERSION

• David Betz wrote: »
    And your point is? What's wrong with Forth being a procedural or imperative language? Aren't C, C++, BASIC, Spin, and PASM the same? I suppose someone might make an argument that Javascript is a functional language or can at least be used in a functional style but it isn't really in the same category as any of the others.

There's nothing wrong with Forth, it is quite unique in many ways, and I like the language. However, it is clearly a general purpose imperative languages, so I felt that need to clarify that point.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    The link to one of your projects is very impressive Peter.

As I have said before Peter, I am truly amazed at what you have achieved!

• D.P wrote: »
    All the kings OBEX objects cannot put together what is native in Tachyon on the P1 fully loaded and that is do to using FORTH, not C, not Ada, not Pascal, not Basic and OMG not Java.
    Wait a minute! This sounds suspiciously like one of the famous "it can't be done on a Propeller" statements that prompts someone to prove it wrong. You've thrown down the gauntlet! Can someone come up with a more traditional infix language that can do as much as Tachyon in the limited resources of an unexpanded P1?

• It's been a while since I've played with Forth, but I always found it a bit tedious having to keep track of where things are on the stack. I also missed having syntax checking and other things that a good compiler provides. The interactive nature of Forth is nice, but it's not the way I program. So it seems to come down to a matter of preference on how people like to program. I enjoy using a compiler with lots of error checking, library support and code optimization. Other people prefer Forth.
  • Dave Hein wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've played with Forth, but I always found it a bit tedious having to keep track of where things are on the stack. I also missed having syntax checking and other things that a good compiler provides. The interactive nature of Forth is nice, but it's not the way I program. So it seems to come down to a matter of preference on how people like to program. I enjoy using a compiler with lots of error checking, library support and code optimization. Other people prefer Forth.

hehe, yes, the stack. But that is a matter of how we factor things and very rarely do I need to worry about where the parameter is. That is also why I refuse to implement the traditional PICK and ROLL words which just encourage more of this deep stack manipulation practices.

As for optimization, Tachyon doesn't have to do any as Tachyon itself is already optimized for the Propeller. Also with library support this is what C is after all, pretty much an assembler, but the libraries make C see. Rather than have all-purpose libraries the philosophy in Forth is to just implement what you need and "extend" the language. As you have probably seen the language is very extended indeed so these could be viewed as the "libraries built-in" and available at runtime.
  • It seems like one of the big advantages you get having an explicit stack in Forth is the ability for a "word" to return more than one result. That isn't easy with a language like C since functions have only a single return value. You end up having to resort to reference parameters or pointers to return more than one value. How often does Forth code take advantage of the ability for a word to return multiple values?
  • David Betz wrote: »
    It seems like one of the big advantages you get having an explicit stack in Forth is the ability for a "word" to return more than one result. That isn't easy with a language like C since functions have only a single return value. You end up having to resort to reference parameters or pointers to return more than one value. How often does Forth code take advantage of the ability for a word to return multiple values?

I've definitely used that, and it's a specific case of a more general benefit of Forth.

In C a function call involves a prologue of pushing arguments onto the stack, making the call, pushing the return, and finally the epilogueof popping the arguments. It's a bit of a production which makes function calls more expensive than inline code. Although many modern C compilers will use register linkage if a function is small and doesn't call another function.

In Forth you are always working with the stack, so there's much less of a penalty when calling another function (word in Forth semantics), particularly when that function consumes the input arguments as this saves the cost of the function epilogue. This does encourage breaking code into smaller chunks and reusing those chunks, hence the smaller size.