Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$25 Hexapod Chassis, One Only, Act Fast! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

$25 Hexapod Chassis, One Only, Act Fast!

Comments

• Ooooh 4-H 'bot! It sure beats telling the parents they need to buy a Mindstorm kit for their kid to do 4-H robotics.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    @erco - you are trouble - you did leave out a pitch for plywood though! :-)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Oh no I didn't, I mentioned plywood in my original post, the first time I stuck my big nose in Ken's business.
    erco wrote: »
    @Matt, Andy & Parallax: You guys really should be selling a kit like this. C'mon, put that laser cutter to work. Plywood, acrylic, whatever. Cross-platform. Put it out there and turn us loose.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2016-06-01 06:32
    @Ken: Consider this free market research. Four Parallax robot lovers pounced on this bot in a heartbeat. Cluso99 is making one from popsicle-sticks when he's not cursing me. I know Whit & Duane are kicking themselves for missing out.

That's a fair amount of animation and maneuverability for just 3 servos. Almost makes 16-servo hexapods look silly. Amirite?

Parallax should be selling a kit like this. Talk about an opportunity! You could partner with Henry or roll your own. It's a walking Boebot, perfect for schools. 4H club kids built and programmed these to dance the "Harlem Shake":

Whit & Duane should just contact Henry if they want a kit or parts. Had a delightful email with him the other day.

And yes, if it is Open Source then it ought to be a winner. I am going to make an add-on plugin to my P8XBlade2 once I work out what's needed.
    As always, I like to keep things tiny :)
    Oh no I didn't, I mentioned plywood in my original post, the first time I stuck my big nose in Ken's business.

I stand corrected.

I lament my comments regarding your regard for and the promotion of laminated products.
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    And yes, if it is Open Source then it ought to be a winner. I am going to make an add-on plugin to my P8XBlade2 once I work out what's needed.
    As always, I like to keep things tiny :)

@Cluso99 - Look forward to seeing this. Spent some time looking at your website today - Cool (and tiny!) products!

• What would be the best CA to use? My local HS has a lot of Bob Smith items.

edited 2016-06-01 20:56
    At first I thought it was acrylic with a clear peel-off layer on each side, but according to the Instrux, it's ABS. Prolly no peel off sheet then. If that's the case, I'll use either MEK or Weld-on for solvent bonding. CA/Superglue often fogs a glossy sheet of ABS/HIPS, or leaves a white residue shown in the Instrux pic (edit: next post). But if you use CA I'd go with a thick version (not thin, not gel) and use kicker/accelerator. I use Great Planes Thick CA and ZAP Zip Kicker, have not tried Bob Smith.

From my experience, thin CA usually flows too well and too fast on plastics, making drips and going right where I don't want it to go. I do use in on wood, cloth & leather though, since it soaks in nicely. The gel doesn't flow, which can be good or bad depending on how you applied it. The thick stuff flows a bit and also makes nice fillets. To help avoid fogging, keep air moving over the parts for an hour with a fan. You really should be using a ventilation fan with CA anyway, but you knew that already.
    Sorry I forgot pic and doggonit, when I go back to edit it I don't see any way to add an attachment.
    1280 x 940 - 260K
    Related: These hexapods walk somewhat like the stick insects (walking sticks) I raise. Two of my oldest girls are literally falling apart, they are down to 3 and 4 legs now. One had 5 but lost one last night. It just fell off! It's certainly heartbreaking to watch, they can't climb any more so they live in a little flat cage by themselves. Sometimes I wonder if I should put them down, but they still have healthy appetites, scramble about, and lay 3-4 eggs a day. It's like their last hurrah to "keep going" so I make them comfy and set them right on top of their food leaves. The 3-legged one is actually feistier than the one with 5 (oops, now 4) legs. Healthy stick bugs still don't do that much in a day, so it's quite hard to judge these bugs' quality of life. Suffice it to say it looks like they are fighting to go on, so on we go. The next generation of little stick bugs is in an adjacent cage so the circle of life will go on ad nauseum.

One of their sister bugs (same age) is still wildly healthy in the large habitat and has 5 healthy, amorous males keeping her company.

Back OT, these Cricket robots are awesome but I don't think they would be so mobile or adaptable if they lost a leg or three.
    2560 x 1440 - 594K
    stix.jpg 593.6K
    Don't bother ordering that assembled Cricket from Henry. He offered a discount to any of my robo-peeps and I caved.

And then there were two. (Crickets in erco's collection)
    How are you boys coming? I have my kit assembled, and I'm off to world famous Pacific Coast Hobbies to get one more HS-311 servo. My healthy stickbug wants a ride.

20160601_184220.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 383K
  • I'm busy building a tank......and a few other things...but the manilla envelope my Cricket came in sure looks nice!!
    Be the first guy to do the Figure 8 challenge with a tank walker!
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    How are you boys coming? I have my kit assembled, and I'm off to world famous Pacific Coast Hobbies to get one more HS-311 servo. My healthy stickbug wants a ride.

20160601_184220.jpg
    What servos are you going to use erco?
    Three HiTec Hs-311s, which is what Henry spec'ed. I had 2 laying around, so I needed to get one more from PCH. Cheap ($10) entry level analog servos. There's a chassis cutout for a 9-gram servo to scan the ultrasonic sensor, I'll probably use a Hobby King HXT900 for that.

For builders, note there are a few revision errors in the user/assembly manual which comes on the CD. The legs are shown in 2 different shapes, and at some point he switched from wire linkages to plastic links.

• I need some glue, but I have spare servos.
  • OK, now I have glue and servos on order for this project. That takes the project pressure off of me and places it on my suppliers! :)

Back to the tank!!
    edited 2016-06-02 15:40
    Servos and glue are holding you back? C'mon guys, just head over to your LHS or world-famous Pacific Coast Hobbies! Science requires sacrifice!

• How about Medina Hobby? Oh, that's right, they retired last month. I have no local options. :(
  • My HS did not have HS-311 in stock, (for $9.99), but they wanted to sell me no name for $12.99. I could not find the name on the internet. Guess I'll have to order them.
  • Amazon Prime, $9.99, I'LL have them and a pot of glue ready and waiting when I get home from work on Monday...i'm sure I can find *some* other project to work on until then!!
    edited 2016-06-03 20:14
    This was a good week, my robot collection grew by 4 hexapods. More like 3-1/2, I haven't finished my first Cricket yet, but #2 arrived in tip top shape today. That's a ~1985 MoU Spydor and a Combat Creature in back.

No room for them, mind you.

20160603_131308.jpg
    1001 x 864 - 479K
    edited 2016-06-03 20:41
    You've officially gone buggy! Fun, fun stuff!
    edited 2016-06-03 20:56
    Whit, I can hear you weeping and gnashing your teeth from here!
    It is SO true!
    I do have a set of BugBots by WowWee (Tilden too.)

518hzOOf3hL.jpg
    500 x 500 - 51K
    One motor erco!

edited 2016-06-03 22:02
    Yeah, but kinda lame. It can't turn.

What this me and this country needs is a good 2-motor hexapod.

Who's got one?

NO motors: