Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Dream Catching — Parallax Forums

Dream Catching

There are going to be a lot of "can I do this with a P2?" questions over the next decade or two.
Sometimes the answer is going to be: "not with one P2... but you could start with one board and
then daisy chain 3 more and you have what you want.

Of course that is going to be too expensive.

Out of the gate, I'm hoping for a board with at least 4 P2's.
... with the ability to daisy chain as many as I would like.

Let's call it a Hubball.

Comments

• rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    Example #1
    T Chap wrote: »
    I need to find a solution to upgrade out of the P1 to higher res LCD touch panel graphics. How possible is this spec on P2? Or is a video controller going to be needed?

JRetSapDoog posted this a few days back for 640x480.

640x480 @ 16 bpp (65536 colors)
    640x480 @ 8 bpp (256 colors) with an additional frame buffer
    640x480 @ 4 bpp (16 colors) with 4 separate "frames"

All of these consume 614400 bytes and leave a sizable 172032 bytes for code space.

http://www.newhavendisplay.com/nhd70800480efasxvctp-p-9500.html

The best answer to this is: ... "you can have just about anything you want if have enough P2s."
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2016-05-20 04:49
    And think of this: Is the P2 more expensive than an Arm if it makes you 50% more productive each day?

What if it makes you 10x as productive, because it enables you to do unorthodox things that you couldn't have done, otherwise?
    Just Fabulous.

Thanks

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    cgracey wrote: »
    And think of this: Is the P2 more expensive than an Arm if it makes you 50% more productive each day?

What if it makes you 10x as productive, because it enables you to do unorthodox things that you couldn't have done, otherwise?

It is the same reason we use the P1. Add to this, it's a pleasure to use, rather than a chore!

If you are going to sell 100K, then maybe you will spend the time to save a buck or two, but to get to market quickly or your volume is much lower, as long as cost is not the main issue, IMHO the P1 wins hands down. P2 should be similar, but with a huge boost in capability and performance.

Here's hoping the static power budget will be nice and low, relatively speaking.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    rjo__ wrote: »
    There are going to be a lot of "can I do this with a P2?" questions over the next decade or two.
    Sometimes the answer is going to be: "not with one P2... but you could start with one board and
    then daisy chain 3 more and you have what you want.

Of course that is going to be too expensive.

Out of the gate, I'm hoping for a board with at least 4 P2's.
    ... with the ability to daisy chain as many as I would like.

Let's call it a Hubball.

Or Hubba, Hubba, Hubba if it's only three?
    indeed^2