Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Just for Ron Czapala — Parallax Forums

Just for Ron Czapala

Hey Ron,

Saw this and thought of you - You were Reddy Kilowatt at one time, weren't you?

Comments

• Whit wrote: »
    Hey Ron,

Saw this and thought of you - You were Reddy Kilowatt at one time, weren't you?

Yeah - I used him as my avatar for a while.

Was this stuff at a yard sale or maybe eBay?
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Antique store! :-)
  • Jeff HaasJeff Haas Posts: 418
    edited 2016-05-20 17:07
    And remember kids, ALWAYS PAY YOUR ELECTRICITY BILL.

[moderator comment: image removed]
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Ugh, why did that humorous and harmless Reddy Kilowatt cartoon image get removed?

Is there something bad about that I missed?

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2016-05-23 15:35
    Heater,

It's nothing personal against who posted it, but we have school children on this site and the image contained a depiction that wasn't appropriate for younger children to see. This was discussed in the moderator forum and the decision was made. I brought up the concern myself, but asked my peers before anything was done. Please remember, while you may not find any issue with it, younger children, their teachers or their parents may feel different. As a Parallax site we have to try and minimize exposure to anything not safe for school.

I have noticed a tendency on Facebook for people to share things with the tag, #NSFW (Not Safe For Work). Perhaps we need a #NSFS (Not Safe For School(children)). I understand and even appreciate the humor in it. But this isn't the site for stuff like that. :cool:
  • Chris, thanks for the explanation, and I'm sorry I unintentionally broke a rule. The usual postings on this site makes me feel like it's just "a bunch of the guys" but I agree with your decision given the usage of the board.
    edited 2016-05-23 16:41
    Jeff,

It's not an issue. We're not out to say you broke the rules. We just looked at the image and decided it wasn't appropriate. You're not in any trouble. :innocent:

We have to evaluate things as we see them. :cool:

As a note, if you want to have more open / candid discussion, there's always: http://zappbots.altervista.org/forum/

These forums could use some love.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Chris Savage,

OK. But I don't understand what is going on.

A million years ago when I was a child we watched Tom and Jerry cartoons. And Bugs Bunny. And Road Runner. And whatever other imports came from the USA. They were full of extreme violence. I remember Tom being sliced to bits, blown up, shot, and so on. It'a a cartoon right? Even if we are four years old we know it's not reality.

And so, when I see the that Kilowatt thing being censored I have to wonder why, for goodness sake?

It was totally harmless.

Heater,

This is my own personal perspective and I won't follow-up on it since this isn't a forum for such discussions. I will just say this in response to your question...Things have changed a lot since then. We didn't have the kind of school violence that exists today, such as school shooting and bombings. In the last 10 years the news has been filled with news stories of kids of pointed at another kid with his hand making a gun gesture or biting a cookie into the shape of a gun and getting suspended. In the wake of so much school violence many schools have a zero-tolerance policy to any form of violence or representation of it. It's not my decision and it's not Parallax's decision. However, we're present within the schools and these forums are accessible and used by both teachers and students. So the last thing we want on here of anything that wouldn't be tolerated in or by a school.

As I have pointed out many times before. These are a support / discussion forums for Parallax products. Clearly the image shown would not have been allowed in a school and clearly was not about the support or discussion of our products. There are forums where you can talk about and say nearly anything you want. These are not. When the discussion is of a mutual and beneficial interest to everyone the off-topic stuff is okay. But when it becomes a heated debate or about things that really shouldn't be here we have to moderate. That's what the moderators are for. If we didn't have them it would be anarchy and nobody wants to go to a forum like that.