Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Revisiting the VNC2 (dual USB host/slave) — Parallax Forums

Revisiting the VNC2 (dual USB host/slave)

Some time ago I looked at using VNC2 with the P1. It has 2 usb ports that can be either host (connect keyboards etc) or slave

For P2 is would be good to use one port like a FT232R, and the other port to host a HID keyboard/mouse

FTDI have a demo of how to emulate an FT232R inside the VNC2. As a plus it claims 6Mbaud which will help with the P2.

Price of the VNC2 is about the same as the FT232R.

Against that, it needs some programming, and that's where it gets tricky

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    That's interesting. Do you think enough is revealed to spoof an FT232R chip from the USB transaction level?
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,620
    edited 2016-03-17 23:42
    Don't know, Chip.

The Parallax Datalogger uses the VNC1 chip, but perhaps VNC2 is pin compatible. Do you still have access to whoever did that dev work on that datalogger?
    https://www.parallax.com/product/27937
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Tubular wrote: »
    Some time ago I looked at using VNC2 with the P1. It has 2 usb ports that can be either host (connect keyboards etc) or slave

For P2 is would be good to use one port like a FT232R, and the other port to host a HID keyboard/mouse

FTDI have a demo of how to emulate an FT232R inside the VNC2. As a plus it claims 6Mbaud which will help with the P2.

Price of the VNC2 is about the same as the FT232R.

Against that, it needs some programming, and that's where it gets tricky

The price is relatively high 1500 $2.93 ?

Checking MCUs for OTG USB, I find

MKL26Z32VFM4 32KB FLASH 32QFN 1.572 @ 1000
    PIC32MX210F016B-I/SS 16KB FLASH 28SSOP 1.73 @ 1000

but those do have only one USB.
  • Yes, only one USB. The nice thing about dual is that you get the serial channel we're all used to, plus the second port that can be used as a second serial link, or host for keyboard or mass storage (or whatever other peripheral)

I've been working on a FT2232H/4232H board this week. However the VNC2 would offer a lot more flexibility.