Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Emulation Instruction — Parallax Forums

P2 Emulation Instruction

ghost_hunterghost_hunter Posts: 2
edited 2016-01-31 04:52 in Propeller 2
Hello. I'm a pretty layperson when it comes to FPGA boards. But I'd like to try test version of p2. Is there a thread or previous discussion how to set up fpga board to program spin code? - I looked at the announcement and it seems there's a zip file that people can download. Also, if I use DE0 nano(cyclone IV), I might need a add-on board. But I still have questions..

1. Is there a sort of readme file to set up DE0-nano?
2. If p2 emulation is loaded, does it work like p1 with the same IDE and Spin but with more cogs and memory?

Comments

• @ghost_hunter

Re:Is there a sort of readme file to set up DE0-nano?

Yes, I'll have a look for the latest files for you.

You can start with this programmer that you will need to load the emulation file.
    https://wl.altera.com/download/software/prog-software/12.1

To load write and load programs we use PNUT (part of the DE0-Nano download)

Note from Chip; The DE0-Nano fits two cogs, but no CORDIC.
  • According to this statement(below) this should be the latest files to download

===================================================
    This is the new P2 info (26 September 2015 onwards) after the P2-Hot...
    (for prior discussions, and the old P2-Hot & prior info, see the sections further below)
    ======================================================================
    http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/144199/propeller-ii-emulation-of-the-p2-on-fpga-boards-prop123-a7-a9-de0-nano-de2-115-etc/p1
  • That should keep you busy for a while. LOL Just shout out if you get stuck somewhere.

• Oh wow. I appreciate it! By the way, the DE0-nano can only fit two cogs? Hmm, then I might need other fpga board...
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2016-01-31 06:29
    @ghost_hunter

re;Oh wow. I appreciate it!
    Anytime.

re:By the way, the DE0-nano can only fit two cogs? Hmm, then I might need other fpga board...

You if you want more cogs. Parallax produced 2 Prop FPGA boards. A7 and A9.

A9 is the FPGA Board you should purchase. Below I pasted the info Chip posted back in Nov for getting a board but I'm not sure that is still the method to get one.
    ====================================================================================================
    "
    cgracey Posts: 5,008
    November 2015 Flag0
    We've got 17 -A9 boards ready to ship now.

These -A7 boards are kind of a question. I think it would be best if we just swapped everyone out with an -A9 board and dropped -A7 support, as they'll only run 50 MHz and I don't think we can practically repair them so that the PLLs work.

Would everyone interested in an -A9 board please PM me?"
  • Are these A9 boards still available? Would like to play with this or should I look a t the DE2-115 board?

Thanks!
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    KMyers wrote: »
    Are these A9 boards still available? Would like to play with this or should I look a t the DE2-115 board?

Thanks!

We are building 20 more Prop 123 -A9 boards now. They are $475. They should be ready in two more weeks.
  • Thanks Chip! Will be watching..