Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DE0-Nano support - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

DE0-Nano support

2»

Comments

• I've had no trouble with the v12.1 stand alone programmer
    https://wl.altera.com/download/software/prog-software/12.1

143MB sure beats the full Altera package download.

I think I saw somewhere a later programmer (v15?) but 600MB
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Tubular wrote: »
    I've had no trouble with the v12.1 stand alone programmer

hehe,
    It is a sign of the times when anyone considers 143MB small for a stand alone programmer !! ;)

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    edited 2015-10-15 07:53
    I remember 100MB SCSI HDD being luxuriously large on a Mac IIx with 1600x1200 desktop on latest Trinitron. PC weenies were happy with their 40MB ST506 drives.

Everything fit with plenty to spare. Even had Photoshop back then. I wonder how big PS is now?
  • Tubular wrote: »

Thanks, I flashed the board with the full Quartus 15, but that might be useful next time.
  • A couple of weeks ago I was reflecting on this while programming a brand of PLC I hadn't programmed for 10 years, maybe more.

The PLC program had about 20 rungs, in PASM the same would easily fit in a cog. But the new progamming tool was about 4 Gig, and slow. That's a ratio of several million bytes of programmer, compared to the PLC program.

Look forward to what happens with the P2. Self hosted dev and compiling, way to go

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    Tubular wrote: »

I found the 15.0 programmer: C:\altera\15.0\quartus\bin64\quartus_pgmw.exe

It's only 152K.

• the v12.1 equiv (32 bit) is only 11k.

We could fit it in a prop. But I suspect there are dependencies...
  • mindrobots wrote: »
    @Ramon,

PM your address to me and I can send you a Prop Plug. I have at least one spare and we want you in the testing pool. I believe you are outside the US and I can ship it for a couple of dollars where shipping and taxes for you will exceed the cost of the plug!

Mindrobots, thank you so much ! but I already have a propeller plug, but it is in another location. Shipment cost are almost the same as the propeller plug, so it doesn't make sense. Will just need to wait a few months to go back. I think I also have a FT232R somewhere. Is it is the same thing, or do I need the original propeller plug?
  • 78rpm78rpm Posts: 264
    edited 2015-10-15 18:41
    I have a nano without the wing. I have a prop-plug.
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    edited 2015-10-15 20:30
    Here is a version of the Sin-Cos example without using the CORDIC, so it works on the DE0-Nano (but should also on the other boards).

Andy

Edit: for sure you need a Nano with the AddOn Board to get a signal at the DACs.
  • AntoineDoinelAntoineDoinel Posts: 312
    edited 2015-10-15 21:22
    The DE0-Nano has no user blinkable LEDs, the existing ones are used to indicate running COGs.

Still, it seems that starting a non existant COG lights the respective LED, so I though to repurpose the upper four with this ugly trick:
    heartbeat	sub	t0, #1
    		test	t0, tmr_msk wz
    	if_z	mov	led_nr, #$03
    	if_nz	mov	led_nr, #$13
    		call	#set_led
    		ret

set_led		mov	tled, led_nr
    		and	tled, #3
    		add	tled, #4
    		test	led_nr, #$10 wz
    	if_z	cogstop	tled
    	if_nz	coginit tled, #fake
    		ret

fake		jmp	#fake

led_nr		long	0
    tled		long	0
    tmr_msk		long	$00040000

Still not sure if it makes any sense, or I'm interferring with other running stuff, but calling heartbeat repeatedly indeed does blink at 1Hz.

• Nano up!

Have not tried any programming yet, but flashed the Nano and checked with PNut.

PNut reports: Propeller 2 - Terasic DE0-Nano (2/16 Cogs, 32KB/512KB Hub RAM, No CORDIC, Static 50Mhz)

Using the Parallax add-on board.

C.W.
  • re DE0-Nano support

Thanks! Chip

I dusted off my board and fired it up. I had to set everything again on my new laptop and It took a little head scratching to remember what I did before to configure everything however, so far all is good and everything seems to be working. It's nice to play with PNut again. LOL

:)
  • I've lost track. Is there any advantage for testers to have the add-on wing? If so, is there anyone here who could use one? I'm happy to pass it on. :)
  • Seairth wrote: »
    I've lost track. Is there any advantage for testers to have the add-on wing? If so, is there anyone here who could use one? I'm happy to pass it on. :)
    The add-on board gives you DAC functionality.

• MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    I found a used & cheap DE0-nano on EBAY - no wings, but PropPlug available.
    so where do I start now?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    MJB,
    Go back to the Propeller 1 and look at the P1V. Its probably the best place to start for now.