Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A useful new feature - TAG — Parallax Forums

A useful new feature - TAG

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2015-07-07 09:24 in General Discussion
We didn't have the TAG feature in the old forums and it seems to be that it will evolve into a very powerful way to get to topics of interest.

Currently, there is a big campaign to start Robotic sub-forums of some complexity.  It may easily become a non-issue if TAGs are used.

Comments

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-07-03 16:28
    IMO, we only require a single robotics forum, but the product-specific ones could be helpful for Parallax. 
    Tags require posters to set them up. In virtually no forums I participate in do the posters bother with it. Instead, moderators come through and tag the posts. In a few of these boards, they are heavily ad-supported, so they have a self-interest in using tags for purposes of ad sales and search engine optimization. Readers of the boards still use the category navigation links 95% (that's a guess, but probably not far off) of the time.
    More recent versions of vBulletin -- the ones that are also responsive -- support tags for SEO should the board owner wish them, and collapsible major categories that hold multiple sub-categories. In my view, the hierarchical organization that defined categories provides gives the forum a more professional and polished look.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Tags is work. Ain't going to do work. If readers want to tag my posts I'm all for it. Probably mostly be "redundant", "stupid"....
    Taxonomy is always hard. In one dimension you might have application or product based categories, "robots", "UAVs"... In another dimension the questions may actually be about something else "I2C", "SPI", "video".

• Well, everyones negative points are good.  I haven't noticed befoe how they are used.
  • Tags for Robot category:
    (assumes case insensitive matching - case sensitive? Help us all!!)
    Robot
    Robots
    Robotics
    BOEbot
    BOE-bot
    Activitybot
    Scribbler
    Scribbler-2
    S1
    S2
    Sumobot
    Toddler
    crawler
    hexapod
    walker
    UAV
    Elev-8
    Quadcopter
    Quadrover (OK, that will mostly be Publison and erco)

...and I'm sure the list goes on.
    edited 2015-07-04 02:43
    I only want to see two tags: "Interesting" and "boring".
    Clearly we can discount the "boring" but it's important that people tag such things so that we know to skip over them.
    Now, "interesting" is interesting.  You see interesting posts, conversations, entire threads can exist in places I might never look. Under "robotics" say, or "uav", or "sensors" or "house plants". You never know where. 
    So yes, it's a  good idea if everyone tags their posts as "interesting" or "boring" so that I don't have to waste my life wading through the boring stuff. 
    I see this working to the benefit of all. 

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2015-07-04 11:22
    We didn't have the TAG feature in the old forums and it seems to be that it will evolve into a very powerful way to get to topics of interest.

Currently, there is a big campaign to start Robotic sub-forums of some complexity.  It may easily become a non-issue if TAGs are used.

The TAG feature was also a feature in vBulletin and it could be used in search criteria.You must not of not it was there...
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,623
    edited 2015-07-04 15:26
    Speaking of tagging...
    How do you 'tag' posts? I don't see an icon or link for tagging (while running Safari on OS X). I've noticed that a few other 'features' are not showing up as well. I guess I'll have to bring out FireFox/Google Chrome and give them a go... Or, maybe I just don't see something that's right in front of me (this happens, somewhat frequently)  :innocent:
    dgately
  • I think you can only add tags when making a new thread discussion. Apparently there's only a field for typing them in, no preselected listings. So I guess you can just type in any random words you want as tags.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-07-05 10:26
    I only want to see two tags: "Interesting" and "boring".
    Clearly we can discount the "boring" but it's important that people tag such things so that we know to skip over them.
    Now, "interesting" is interesting.  You see interesting posts, conversations, entire threads can exist in places I might never look. Under "robotics" say, or "uav", or "sensors" or "house plants". You never know where. 
    So yes, it's a  good idea if everyone tags their posts as "interesting" or "boring" so that I don't have to waste my life wading through the boring stuff. 
    I see this working to the benefit of all. 

narcissistic egomaniac warning.

Heater, it would be wonderful if some self-moderating was deployed.
    Would you like to be tagged "ALL Boring"?
    All right Loopy. I'm sure people have much worse tags they'd like to attach to my posts :)
    I was  just trying  express my belief that a tag systems won't work. 
    I notice this beautiful forum http://talk.resin.io/ has "like" buttons on it's posts. I don't think it changes thread order but rather puts some kind of "badge" on the post.

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-07-05 10:29
    Heater,
    You previously presented some very good concise points as to why the Tag system is dubious at best. You actually won me over.

But the subjectivity of 'boring' and 'interesting' just distracts people from your arguments. It just begins to seem you want to dominate and dictate opinion.

I know it seems to be fun to be sarcastic, but sarcastic has a way of backfiring.

+++++++++++
    BTW, your boring/interesting scheme would never work.  Only the OP selects tags.  Why would anyone starting a thread mark it 'boring'.  The best you can get is a lot of vague 'interesting' tags.

As IBM asserted... Think, Think, Think.

It makes for less drivel.
  • @ Heater
    Tags indeed won't work for boring... but I did vote a negative for you boring/interesting idea.  So we already seem to have boring/interesting scheme in place.

Wake up and smell the road kill.
    edited 2015-07-05 11:10
    Loopy,

BTW, your boring/interesting scheme would never work. Only the OP selects tags. Why would anyone starting a thread mark it 'boring'. The best you can get is a lot of vague 'interesting' tags.

As IBM asserted... Think, Think, Think.

The obvious fact that it would never work is why I proposed it. Perhaps we need an "attempted humour" or "not for the humour impaired" tag :)

To spell it out, my scheme requires that every one tag their posts as "boring" or "interesting". Not only that but they do
    so using the same criteria as I would. This neatly saves me having to read all the stuff that I would consider boring.

I was simply trying to show why a tag system won't work well.

• @Heater

Use the vote system. It does that.
    Loopy,

Use the vote system. It does that

No it does not.

I would have to read all the posts if I want to contribute votes.

It only migrates stuff up that keen vote button pushers like. Not what might actually be interesting to me.
  • Loopy,

Use the vote system. It does that

No it does not.

I would have to read all the posts if I want to contribute votes.

It only migrates stuff up that keen vote button pushers like. Not what might actually be interesting to me.

so... to sum up.
    You want everyone to cater to your desires.  This will never happen.  Now you have gotten me missing that Ignore feature.
    You take my little japes to seriously Loopy. Like I said we need a "jape" tag. 
  • @Heater

That should read "too seriously".

Why not just lobby for a Forum heading called Heater.  It is in fashion to lobby for a new Forum heading.

You really did make some constructive comments about Tabs --- rather early on.  But you can't seem to leave it at that.  Be the 'bad boy', what do I care?
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Please guys..
    Well spotted Loopy. So times I two make typos :)
    A Heater forum heading, excellent idea. We should all have our own forum section. 
  • And perhaps a therapist, a cage, and some heavy  sedation.