Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Xbee not working only on Arduino pins D0 and D1??? — Parallax Forums

Xbee not working only on Arduino pins D0 and D1???

tjc516tjc516 Posts: 1
edited 2012-04-25 18:20 in Accessories
Hi guys i'm running into an issue with the Parallax Xbee retail kit that i purchased from Radio Shack.

Before i get into this issue please understand i am experienced in using Xbee's i currently have 2 sets on other projects but they are using different adapaters 1 is using the adafruit the other sparkfun.

The problem i am currently running into is that with one Xbee connected to my PC with the USB adapter and another connected to my Arduino Uno R3 on the D0 and D1 pins. With the script i'm testing if i send text through the serial it should turn a LED on and off, also in the script is the Arduino sending out serial print every 10 seconds to make sure the usb is receiving. So the USB receives the Arduino output but when i send the command to LED on nothing happens but the Xbee TX light shows its receiving data. The script is correct because i tested with direct serial and the LED went on and off.

In further troubleshooting i used software serial to change the pins to D2 and D3, in this scenario the Xbee's performed perfectly.

So its seems that the Xbee's will not work correctly if connected to D0 and D1, specifically the Arduino won't receive the commands i send>

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've wasted three nights of my life trying everything i could google or think of.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-04-25 18:20
    You can't use the Arduino's pins D0 and D1 for the xBee because they're already in use for the USB to PC interface. Look at the schematic for the Arduino Uno for example. D0 and D1 are connected to the USB interface chip through 1K resistors to protect the interface chip. Transmitting to the xBee works because that USB interface pin is an input, but receiving doesn't work because the USB interface chip probably pulls that signal line high. Some output signals might be able to override this, but not the xBee.
  • tjc516 wrote: »
    Hi guys i'm running into an issue with the Parallax Xbee retail kit that i purchased from Radio Shack.

Before i get into this issue please understand i am experienced in using Xbee's i currently have 2 sets on other projects but they are using different adapaters 1 is using the adafruit the other sparkfun.

The problem i am currently running into is that with one Xbee connected to my PC with the USB adapter and another connected to my Arduino Uno R3 on the D0 and D1 pins. With the script i'm testing if i send text through the serial it should turn a LED on and off, also in the script is the Arduino sending out serial print every 10 seconds to make sure the usb is receiving. So the USB receives the Arduino output but when i send the command to LED on nothing happens but the Xbee TX light shows its receiving data. The script is correct because i tested with direct serial and the LED went on and off.

In further troubleshooting i used software serial to change the pins to D2 and D3, in this scenario the Xbee's performed perfectly.

So its seems that the Xbee's will not work correctly if connected to D0 and D1, specifically the Arduino won't receive the commands i send>

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've wasted three nights of my life trying everything i could google or think of.

Thanks!!

Hello,

I know that it was a long time ago, but I have the same problem just now. I have a arduino MEGA 2560 and I have tried comunicate with 2 xbee ZB modules ( one Coordenator AT and router AT) . I am using the RX and TX ports of arduino from D18 and D19, respectvly . They are linked by wire in ports DIN and DOUT of Router AT. When I try by X CTU order a command, don´t work. Could you help me???
    When I did a test just by arduino, the led OFF and ON correctly.