Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Simple operator interface — Parallax Forums

Simple operator interface

KenBashKenBash Posts: 68
edited 2006-06-12 19:51 in Propeller 1
Attached is the beginnings of a (fairly) simple operator interface that uses the Mouse, Keyboard and VGA Objects.·· It is written for the demo board· rev c

· This is my first Propeller project so I've commented it liberally for fools like me still at the beginning of the learning curve.

·The machine will be something like a candle-making system that moves to position and dips several layers then cools the candles before a batch is finished.

·The positions, ·layer count, speeds·and times all need to be input by the operator,· this is the easiest way I could quickly design to do it.

I still need to add keyboard input for batch numbers and notes, but I am having difficulty with the fact that the text.str xy position set function does not let you use a variable.· ·Does anyone have an easy fix for this?

I'll also be doing data logging.

As of now my plan is to just send everything out as RS-232 to a PC doing nothing but data logging. If we had·something like a "Memory Stick" or "jump drive" object, it would make the world a beter place.

I see that ·rokicki ·has a good start, but I don't see that he's done with it yet. Anyone else working on storage that might also be PC readable?

I've been coding for quite a while now and I'm rarely in awe of anyone. Now however I find a bit of "hero worship" creeping in for Chip and the rest of the group that has contributed to the Propeller.·

When I had to learn Windows CE, had I been a nuclear power and had an easy button at the time, Seattle would be the largest hole in the northern hemisphere.· Now, learning the Propeller, ·Spin, and it's tools, I find I am having the exact opposite experience.

Programming is starting to be fun again.

Thanks everybody.

Ken Bash

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
" Anything worth doing... is worth overdoing. "

··············································· ( R.A.H. )
····································

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-06-12 17:14
    Ken,

To pass positioniong variables via the .STR method, just make a short VAR string that has a few bytes in it: the command, the x and/or y, and a 0. Pass the address of the string to the .STR method using the @variable operator. For example:

VAR

· byte xystring[noparse][[/noparse]4]

PRI position(x, y)

·· ·xystring[noparse][[/noparse]0] := positioncommand·· 'put the command byte value here

·· ·xystring[noparse][[/noparse]1] := x

·· ·xystring[noparse][[/noparse]2] := y

··· xystring[noparse][[/noparse]3] := 0

··· gr.str(@xystring)··· 'call the graphic object's string method to perform the positioning

KenBash said...
    Attached is the beginnings of a (fairly) simple operator interface that uses the Mouse, Keyboard and VGA Objects.·· It is written for the demo board· rev c

· This is my first Propeller project so I've commented it liberally for fools like me still at the beginning of the learning curve.

·The machine will be something like a candle-making system that moves to position and dips several layers then cools the candles before a batch is finished.

·The positions, ·layer count, speeds·and times all need to be input by the operator,· this is the easiest way I could quickly design to do it.

I still need to add keyboard input for batch numbers and notes, but I am having difficulty with the fact that the text.str xy position set function does not let you use a variable.· ·Does anyone have an easy fix for this?

I'll also be doing data logging.

As of now my plan is to just send everything out as RS-232 to a PC doing nothing but data logging. If we had·something like a "Memory Stick" or "jump drive" object, it would make the world a beter place.

I see that ·rokicki ·has a good start, but I don't see that he's done with it yet. Anyone else working on storage that might also be PC readable?

I've been coding for quite a while now and I'm rarely in awe of anyone. Now however I find a bit of "hero worship" creeping in for Chip and the rest of the group that has contributed to the Propeller.·

When I had to learn Windows CE, had I been a nuclear power and had an easy button at the time, Seattle would be the largest hole in the northern hemisphere.· Now, learning the Propeller, ·Spin, and it's tools, I find I am having the exact opposite experience.

Programming is starting to be fun again.

Thanks everybody.

Ken Bash

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-06-12 18:55
    Chip:
    LOL... Ok, I haddn't thought of that. I just created a PUB VGA.PSET(X_Cord,Y_Cord),copied the code you wrote into it, ·and called that.

Ken:· I am workin on one as well, but, in all fairness, the pro's and con's of it all, I think I'm going to junk the project and use the USBWiz for mass storage access.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2006-06-12 19:51
    I've got the writing pretty much all designed, but real work and other projects have totally
    diverted me away from the Propeller for a bit. I'll get back to it soon, probably next week
    when my wife is in Chicago.