Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
18-wire servo???!!! — Parallax Forums

18-wire servo???!!!

WhelzornWhelzorn Posts: 256
edited 2005-02-14 14:10 in General Discussion
I was digging through a box of motors my uncle gave me the other day when I found this monstrosity. This thing is an "API Gettys 'Turbo Servo Motor". I found it really surprising that it has 18 wires. All of the wires are coming out of a single hole in the back of the servo. The wires are all about a foot long and heat shrunk togeather at the bottom near the motor itself. From there 9 of them are bundled togeather with a grey shielding.

The colors are: blue, yellow, green. orange, white, black, red, brown, and one is uncoated. The rest of the wires are not shielded, but all coated individually And are: Dk Green, Lt Green, brown, black, Dk Blue, Lt Blue, orange, red, yellow.

The reason I mentioned this thing it because I am wondering if anyone knows how I might go about using it. It's a large motor, probably about 4 1/2" long and 3" wide. The shaft is about 1/3" in diameter.

thank you,
Justin W.

Comments

• PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2005-02-12 08:40
    Jason,

My earlier snarkiness removed.

I recommend a Google search first.
      Thanks, PeterM

Post Edited (PJMonty) : 2/14/2005 8:31:49 PM GMT
  • WhelzornWhelzorn Posts: 256
    edited 2005-02-12 14:25
    uh.... yeah. I have seen that page, as well as the next 100 relevant pages or so. None of the pages, including that one, helped me in the least. mabe it's just a coincidence, but I vaguely recall searching for that same exact string. huh.
    Believe me when I say that I am one of the biggest jerks when it comes to telling people to use google in rude ways as you just have, so I am not going to flip out on you this time, but trust me, I do not post to this forum unless I have already searched google to its end. Mabe you should have taken a closer look at my question. I did not ask for a place where I could buy one of these, I asked for help or documentation.
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-02-12 17:58
    Justin,

Does the motor have any part numbers on it? That might help.

BTW, That's a great avatar. Where did you get it?

Jim
    edited 2005-02-12 18:11
    Jim: Yes, the motor has a P/N, it reads: MEB-231-NH03. I did a search on this number, and it gave me a resellers page with PDF's, but the PDF's are just lists of companies, so they didn't help. I think that it was the only relevant page found.
    As far as my avatar goes, I got it from a NASA article on ifrared light here: imagers.gsfc.nasa.gov/ems/infrared.html. I really wasn't interested in the article, but I thought the cat was cool [noparse]:)[/noparse].

-Justin
    edited 2005-02-12 18:34
    Jason,

I appreciate your hurt feelings because I was snarky. However, try and appreciate why I was snarky. The way to get the information you want is on the first page of the Google search. On the the right hand side under "Sponsored Links" is this little URL:

www.elwood.com/gettys.shtml

I recommend you go there. In order to prevent any more problems, here's the link on the Getty's site that you'll want:

www.elwood.com/gettys_contact.shtml

That is the contact page on the website. Finally, I'll provide a little more information that I was able to get by doing some simple legwork. On that contact page is the following info:

Fax: 262.637.8400

David Hansen Vice President - Sales and Marketing 495
    Rudy Pugel Sales Manager - Legacy Products 460
    Linda Richmond Inside Sales Coordinator 413
    Lisa Woodward Inside Sales Coordinator 474
    Gary Veenstra Applications Engineer 448

The numbers at the end are the phone extensions of the people in question.

Is there anything more I can do to help? Personally, I think that I have done more than my fair share in this transaction. I have provided the terms for a Google search, as well searched the results to find the information for you. I have provided the links to both the company that makes the motor as well as the contact page on their website. Finally, I cut and pasted the contact info and put it on this post.

At this point, it's up to you to either search their website in more detail, or to make the phone calls and talk to someone who might be able to give you more information. You could also consider calling Minarik (the distributor from my first post) and see if they can help you. Most distributors are not that technically astute, but they might have some technical info they can pass on, or be able to steer you to the company itself.

Was I snarky? You bet. The reason is that in probably the same amount of time it took you to write your first and second posts, I was able to locate the company that makes your motor. I apologize if I hurt your feelings when I was tough on you, but I don't appreciate having to prove that you can find this information yourself.
      Thanks, PeterM

PS - Some folks are unfamiliar with the word "snarky." I did a Google seach to find a definition for anyone who doesn't know the word:

dictionary.reference.com/search?q=snarky
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-02-12 18:46
    Justin,

I'd be inclined to do an old fashion thing. I'd telephone Minarik and ask for their help. Maybe then can help, maybe they can't. If they can't, maybe that service company can help. Given that it is probably an older model there may not be anything around anymore. But you can hope.

Jim
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2005-02-12 19:53
    Just as a side note, that is an industrial type servo, probaly 3 phase with an encoder, brake, temp and error outputs and who knows what else. I would highly doubt you would be able to do much with it as regards to a stamp, but i could be wrong.
    kelvin
    edited 2005-02-12 21:22
    alright, thank you all, I am sorry PJMonty, because I should have explained a little better my situation as far as how I am looking at this page. I do not have a browser on this platform (FC2) capable of displaying flash, java, or DHTML, and I'm guessing that the link you pointed me to, including that whole page, was flash enabled. I do not see anything other than nonworking buttons that say "Stepper motors" "Repairs" "literature". when I click on them, I get nothing other than a loading segment, and I go back to the main page. I probably should have described this situation to you at first, but I did not realise that the page was made in flash (if it is) and I am off to find a flash plugin for fedora core 2's konqueror browser.
    Sorry for seeming like a total idiot, but you shouldn't automatically assume that I did not thoroughly look at everything I could find on google. I even did some searches on the serial number and found a multitude of pages where you can buy and order these, and looked at everything I was capable of accessing. So i'm saying it was very nice of you to dig up those pages for me, but the way you presented them could have been a little more friendly.

-Justin W.

ps. I did end up accessing the PDF's, but it involved searching through the source code of the page which you linked.
  • The Dead BugThe Dead Bug Posts: 73
    edited 2005-02-12 23:14
    Justin wrote (in his initial post):
    The reason I mentioned this thing it because I am wondering if anyone knows how I might go about using it.

In my opinion a perfectly valid question for this forum.

I think PeterM was way out of line.
    Sure, we can all Google, and we can all probably find the phone numbers of contact persons at companies that make products we have found in junk boxes and flea markets. And maybe with a few phone calls, emails or letters we could find out what we need to know. But if we can't post a simple query to this group to ask if any other members have had experience with something without getting a hot-tempered flame in reply, the point of this forum is lost.

Snarky? just say it like it was- impatient and disrespectful.

Bruce

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Name: Bruce Clemens

Work:· Clemensb@otc.edu
    Good Stuff on my Bolg: http://theDeadBug.journalspace.com
  • The Dead BugThe Dead Bug Posts: 73
    edited 2005-02-12 23:21
    PJMonty, his name is Justin, not Jason.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Name: Bruce Clemens

Work:· Clemensb@otc.edu
    Good Stuff on my Bolg: http://theDeadBug.journalspace.com
    edited 2005-02-13 04:27
    aah, thank you very much. I wasn't sure how to say that myself. You made a very good point about that. Mabe I could try to find this stuff on google or by phoning these places, which are all ways of obtaining the information I am looking for. And the way I see it, this forum is a perfectly viable source of getting the information, one in which I can talk to live people.

PJMonty:
    As the old saying goes, If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

-Justin W.

ps. Dead Bug: thank you for the post, and for being sensitive about my name.
    edited 2005-02-14 02:58
    Justin,

I got some great advice from Steve_b in a private message - he basically said that if I found the question annoying (for whatever reason, right or wrong), then either skip it or come back later when I was in a better mood. He's right. I answered your post in a PO'ed state of mind and took it out on you. I should have simply walked away. As I mentioned in my second post in this thread, I apologize for hurting your feelings. Under my new question answering policy, it won't happen again because I'll either skip the question or give you the answer I found when I'm feeling more mellow.
      Thanks, PeterM

PS - No idea why I called you Justin. Brain fart, I guess.
    edited 2005-02-14 14:10
    ·smile.gif thank you very much for the apology. It means quite a lot to have you do so. Most of the time on these forums, I get someone screaming at me to use google, I try to reason with him, and it only makes the situation worse. Thanks again for the polite apology, and I apologise as well, because I wasn't all that polite in trying to reason with you.

Justin W.

P.S. we all have bad days. No worries. cool.gif

[noparse][[/noparse]edit] oh, and thanks steve_b, you helped us both it appears! [noparse][[/noparse]/edit]

Post Edited (Whelzorn) : 2/14/2005 2:18:43 PM GMT