Missing Link

Any idea where I can get the file in this missing link http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/stamps/FwreRev0806.zip?

Comments

  • What is it in reference to, looks like stamp doc's firmware. Is it the stamp syntax program manual
  • No. It was in an old discussion thread were someone was asking about the various firmware versions of the Basic Stamp 2. An old parallax employee [Chris Savage I believe] was responding by pointing to the link which was suppose to contain the various firmware revisions and what they contained.

    I have various hardware versions of the BS2 from C through J1. I know each time there is a component change the board is revised. However, this was the first time I've ever heard of firmware changes. I was just curious and looking for the FwreRev0806.zip file mentioned in the message.
  • If you are referring to:

    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/92902/versions-revisions-of-stamps.

    I don't think there has been a firmware change in 15+ years. Everything should run under PBASIC 2.5.4.

    Could you provide a picture of J1? Thats one I never heard of unless it's a Javelin chip.
  • I had never heard of a J1 either. That's way I was digging around for data. Here's a side-by-side comparison of a Rev J and J1. I also didn't know PBASIC was at 2.5.4. I thought it was just 2.5.

    IMG_1163.JPG
    2448 x 3264 - 1M
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 2,058
    edited 2020-06-24 - 09:18:42
    Curious find.

    Do you recall if you bought that J1 direct from Parallax sales? Or instead via ebay or somesuch?

    Incidentally, J will be the newer one.

  • eBay. Got 5 as part of a larger purchase. Ah! I was wondering that. Was the J1 an engineering prototype or something?
  • CJMJ wrote: »
    eBay. Got 5 as part of a larger purchase. Ah! I was wondering that. Was the J1 an engineering prototype or something?

    Best thing is to email support@parallax.com for an answer to that question.
  • So why did you say the J1 came before the J? Here's another oddity:

    IMG_1167.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
  • What's the oddity?

    Von what's the noise in your background? Oh its a screaming cat named Bob. (As in bobcat, and he's outside not in.)



    ----
    Mascot and Yak away.
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 2,058
    edited 2020-06-25 - 11:35:57
    What's the oddity?

    Von what's the noise in your background? Oh its a screaming cat named Bob. (As in bobcat, and he's outside not in.)
    ----
    Mascot and Yak away.

    The screaming cat's keep well away from our yard :)
    768 x 1020 - 1M
    1200 x 1600 - 202K
    1200 x 1600 - 226K
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 2,058
    edited 2020-06-25 - 11:20:21
    CJMJ wrote: »
    So why did you say the J1 came before the J? Here's another oddity:

    J1 (or any number after the letter) usually denotes an internal-use prototype.
    J becomes the full production version.

    If you bought the J1 direct from Parallax Sales then it's certain J1 was a larger batch that passed production quality standards. (ie. the engineers got it right first time!).
    Otherwise they might have been provided as samples or goodies at expo events, or someone involved in the testing process got a bunch and decided to share them via side channels.

    Either way, you've got a nice collection which should be pretty rare. And if they work, then fantastic !

    The different cap is just a batch/supply issue- depending on the capacitor availability for that build batch it may have been black or yellow, but will be the same specification part.
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    CJMJ wrote: »
    So why did you say the J1 came before the J? Here's another oddity:

    J1 (or any number after the letter) usually denotes an internal-use prototype.
    J becomes the full production version.

    If you bought the J1 direct from Parallax Sales then it's certain J1 was a larger batch that passed production quality standards. (ie. the engineers got it right first time!).
    Otherwise they might have been provided as samples or goodies at expo events, or someone involved in the testing process got a bunch and decided to share them via side channels.

    Either way, you've got a nice collection which should be pretty rare. And if they work, then fantastic !

    The different cap is just a batch/supply issue- depending on the capacitor availability for that build batch it may have been black or yellow, but will be the same specification part.
    Von,
    You sure about that? In engineering it is normal that J would come first, then J1, J2, etc or JA, JB, JB1, JC, etc. Never heard of a J1 preceeding a J tho'
  • I didn't create the system, so will reserve comment on the pros and cons :) ... but that's how it's been working for those products.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 11,732
    edited 2020-06-25 - 15:25:55
    CJMJ wrote: »
    I had never heard of a J1 either. That's way I was digging around for data. Here's a side-by-side comparison of a Rev J and J1. I also didn't know PBASIC was at 2.5.4. I thought it was just 2.5.
    Windows Version 2.5.4

    (Supports Windows 2K/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1(not RT)/10)

    Includes software, USB driver, example code and help for all BASIC Stamp modules.
    Updates:

    Updated to support BS2px v1.2.

    Included StampLoader v3.6 to support BS2px v1.2 via the Generate Object Code feature.

    Included Parallax USB (and FTDI USB) Drivers v2.12.16.
  • Thanks for all the info. I'm always interested in the history behind the science.
Sign In or Register to comment.