Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Evaluation Board - Brief Update December 18th - Page 6 — Parallax Forums

P2 Evaluation Board - Brief Update December 18th

Comments

• Once we get I/O addon boards the P2-Eval is going to bear a really strong resemblance to the late great Spin Studio system.

Has anybody done an ENC28J60 ethernet chip? Or are we actually able to bit-bang 10baseT ethernet now?
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    cgracey wrote: »
    jmg wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »
    We are going to have a bunch of add-on boards arriving right after Christmas which we will build soon. This will give everyone VGA, HDMI, USB, audio, Goertzel, lights, buttons, etc.

Just curious, did you record some numbers from the collection of P2's, as you tested the boards ?

eg get an idea of the spread of RCFAST and RCSLOW frequencies, and maybe Icc at RCFAST and RCSLOW ?

I did an exhaustive check of the I/O pins, and they were okay. We had two boards that had one bad pin, each. These will be screened in the future at ON Semi.

I was more meaning if you had measured/recorded the RCFAST and RCSLOW on each board, to get some idea of the bell curve spreads on each Oscillator ?
  • localroger wrote: »
    Once we get I/O addon boards the P2-Eval is going to bear a really strong resemblance to the late great Spin Studio system.

Has anybody done an ENC28J60 ethernet chip? Or are we actually able to bit-bang 10baseT ethernet now?

I have had my w5500 module running as a server on the p2 for many years now. I have one connected up on my p2d2 motherboard.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Hey guys, it's a P2-EVAL pcb.
    It is what it is!
    It is built with "engineering sample" chips!

You will have plenty of time to design your own pcbs a few months from now when the final chips are available.
  • One more evaluation board reporting in:

Alive and well and running TAQOZ in Ohio. It arrived on Tuesday (in time for Chipmas) but I had to wait until (un)Boxing day and the peace and quiet of the office to actually try it. I plan on spending lunchtime gathering all the various tools in the toolchains.

Now, I just need to do something useful with it!
  • dgately wrote: »
    W9GFO wrote: »
    dgately wrote: »
    Yeah, every app that I've got wants to export the .mov file into an .m4v, which the forum SW doesn't seem to like... Oh well:-)

You can convert m4v to mp4 via VLC.
    That's what I thought... But, when I set mp4 as the exported type, I get mv4 and the forum won't let me attach the file.

You could try just changing the extension from .m4v to .mp4, as for self made videos there won't be any DRM.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4V
  • Mine will not be here till Jan 2. Somehow I equated UPS Ground with 3-5 day shipping. Apparently that is 14 days from the west coast, LOL.

At least I have time to build my development environment for it! Maybe a can write some code ahead of time and see if I did it right when the hardware arrives. I think I like that challenge!
  • thejthej Posts: 232
    edited 2018-12-28 04:53
    Got my P2-EVAL board today ! (Post office was finally open)
    Tests are all working well !!

I'm looking forward to the add-on boards !

J
  • Got home from my trip last night, and my P2-ES arrive this morning. Perfect timing on the delayed shipping Parallax! Thanks!
    Powered up and blinking leds with TAQOZ.
  • @"Roy Eltham",

set up some alarm clock to remind you when it is Tuesday.

This thing is so cool to play with.

Mike
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-12-30 13:43
    Can I now turn it up to 11? I think I have adequate cooling and regulation. :)
    3120 x 4160 - 3M
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Publison wrote: »

I do believe it is adequate. Go for it.
  • I would add a 6 foot fan just in case there is not enough air movement.

Mike
  • When is this going to available in the Parallax store and how much
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    DigitalBob wrote: »
    When is this going to available in the Parallax store and how much

I believe all the current supplied packaged die are 'used up', but maybe Parallax should have some back-order scheme running, to gauge if more packaged makes sense ?
  • DigitalBob wrote: »
    When is this going to available in the Parallax store and how much

If you are asking about the evaluation board, the 100 or so that were produced boards are sold out. There were only so many sample P2's created. We have to wait for the next batch of chips next year.
  • Publison wrote: »

Yes, and you have validated the structural integrity of the case as well!

• ctwardell wrote: »

Yes, and you have validated the structural integrity of the case as well!

Rich did a bang up job on the case.
  • @ Publison
    Rich did a bang up job on the case.

I just got mind the other day and he sure did a great !! job. Top notch service too. :)

• I agree, it is a great enclosure.
  • My P2-Eval came today. Had a brief moment of concern before I realized my micro-USB cable was inadequate and got a thicker one. Now all the simple tests done, need to try some of the more elaborate ones. Might need to buy a micro-SD card tomorrow as none of mine are SDHC / FAT32.
  • Sorry if this information is already buried in this thread, but could someone please point me to a bit of code ( or preferably TAQOZ script) which could be run to test the SD card speed thing?

Ie. A script that will fail to work above X? baud.

I'd like to test with and without the 47pF loading caps fitted on IO59, 60, 61. And maybe some other tweaks.

Thanks!

• My P2 evaluation Board was delivered while I was on vacation. Finally hooked it up today and booted TAQOZ. Very nice. More testing to be done!
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2019-01-09 04:03
    If more P2-EVAL pcbs get made some time in the future, I would like to suggest a mod to make it easier to remove the microSD card.

Routing a recess under the microSD card makes it easier to remove the card without applying downward pressure on the card which may result in a snapped card. Here is a pic of what I did. Warning: The pcb is 4 layers and the outer pair on each side have a tendency to short if you are not extremely careful. I haven't properly checked, but I think all layers at this section may be ground, and so a short may not matter.

P2_EVAL_pcb_mod.jpg

BTW While I did this, Peter made a different simpler modification. I will let him post his solution.
    1315 x 793 - 250K
  • I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Still hadn't the opportunity to run some code and do some basic testing. I guess I'll be able to do some during next week, if the weak USB ports on my computer allow me.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,091
    Samuell,
    I've found the programming port can't run the board. I think everyone has found this to be so.

I assume most have purchased a 2 amp USB power pack for powering the power port with but what I've done is solder a pair of jumper pins to the 5 volt pads just in from the power port, and used my bench top power supply instead of going out and buying a USB power pack. Note the 5 volt ground pad needs lot of heat to get the solder to flow all the way through.
  • evanh wrote: »
    Samuell,
    I've found the programming port can't run the board. I think everyone has found this to be so.

I assume most have purchased a 2 amp USB power pack for powering the power port with but what I've done is solder a pair of jumper pins to the 5 volt pads just in from the power port, and used my bench top power supply instead of going out and buying a USB power pack. Note the 5 volt ground pad needs lot of heat to get the solder to flow all the way through.
    Hi evanh,

My board finally arrived. I can't see anything in the serial console, but apart from that, the board seems to be working. It blinks a few LEDs on connection. As for the USB ports on my computer, they have PPTC fuses that are showing signs of some resistance, causing the voltage to drop significantly. I can circumvent that by using this:

http://www.bloguetronica.com/2018/03/modulo-carregador-usb-ucharge-rev-a1.html

This board, a project of mine, allows charging and communication at the same time. It can supply up to 2A without showing any measurable voltage drop.

Anyway, back to the P2, I have to investigate why I can't see TAQOZ loading. I'm using PuTTY on Linux, with the baud rate set to 115200.

• might be that you need to type the special wakeup (auto baud sync?) sequence into the terminal....

ESC >

(Escape Space Greater-Sign)

TAQOZ will then reply.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-01-15 19:43
    You might try the sequence is [Greater_Sign Space Esc]. That's the one I have been using.

This is tested through Parallax Serial Terminal and TeraTerminal at 115200. Different terminals may vary. (Windows7PRO).
  • samuellsamuell Posts: 554
    edited 2019-01-15 19:55
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    might be that you need to type the special wakeup (auto baud sync?) sequence into the terminal....

ESC >

(Escape Space Greater-Sign)

TAQOZ will then reply.
    You might try the sequence is [Greater_Sign Space Esc]. That's the one I have been using.

This is tested through Parallax Serial Terminal and TeraTerminal at 115200. Different terminals may vary. (Windows7PRO).
    Thanks! Strangely, I've only been able to access TAQOZ on Windows 10. The sequence was "> [esc]". I don't know why I'm unable to call TAQOZ on Linux, using PuTTY. Under Windows 10, both TeraTerm and PuTTY will work. Encoding issue?

Anyway, already tested Peter's PWM example and it worked OK.