Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Evaluation Board - Brief Update December 18th - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

P2 Evaluation Board - Brief Update December 18th

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,131
    Sorry,! We should have packed a USB cable. I don't think it occurred to any of us.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2018-12-23 01:45
    Here is a link to the ROM Monitor/Debugger commands, SD boot, and more TAQOZ info
    Don't forget - the Monitor/Debugger/SD routines can be called from your PASM programs. So you can use these to send/receive serial :smiley:

forums.parallax.com/discussion/168502/p2-rom-booter-serial-flash-sd-card-monitor-and-taqoz-features-and-operation/p1
  • Is it OK to publish a video of a P2 in action on YouTube? Else, how to get a video file to show up here in the forum?

Thx

dgately
    dgately wrote: »
    Is it OK to publish a video of a P2 in action on YouTube? Else, how to get a video file to show up here in the forum?

Thx

dgately

You can upload MP4 files that are under 10 megabytes.
  • jac_goudsmitjac_goudsmit Posts: 418
    edited 2018-12-23 02:28
    Merry Chipmas everyone!

20181222_180006.jpg

===Jac
    5312 x 2988 - 5M
  • cgracey wrote: »
    Is it OK to publish a video of a P2 in action on YouTube? Else, how to get a video file to show up here in the forum?

You can upload MP4 files that are under 10 megabytes.

Yeah, every app that I've got wants to export the .mov file into an .m4v, which the forum SW doesn't seem to like... Oh well:-)
    edited 2018-12-23 02:37
    I tested that board just a few days ago. Glad they are getting out into the world now.
  • Try "greater than, space, escape" and TAQOZ should greet you. ( $3E, $20, $1B )
    To make any led blink such as P0 type "0 BLINK"

I finally found a micro usb and was waiting for TAQOZ to show up as final choice when nothing else is going on.

Why is that greater than, space, escape needed?

Anyways my P2 works and I do have a TAQOZ# on my Parallax Serial Terminal.

Time to explore...

Mike
  • The next boot ROM will pack a lot more TAQOZ into it and hopefully we can have it boot directly into TAQOZ if no other boot method is found rather than simply putting the chip to sleep to save batteries as was the case with P1. However TAQOZ could still indeed have sleep timeout on it if Chip still requires this feature. If boot sequencing falls through to TAQOZ then it can have its own higher level boot methods in regards to Flash and FAT32 SD etc.

TeraTerm is a fully supported full-featured and Open Source terminal emulator for Windows.

exactly

Mike
    The "> " sequence performs autobauding.
    edited 2018-12-23 05:25
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    The "> " sequence performs autobauding.

Yes, there is something totally unique about the bit sequence in "> ", even with a variable gap between the two characters, that allows definite baud detection.
  • msrobots wrote: »
    I am running around and checking boxes, NO micro USB cable anywhere, why not the same as used for the PropPlug, could have fit.

Damn.

Mike

microUsb is more common these days. and more importantly, more robust than miniB. In case of damage, it's the cable plug that will usually fail, instead of the socket. Always easier for a customer to replace a cable. That's the thinking.

As for you not having one, that's annoying.

We did add the cable and SD card as optional items at the product page, right below the eval board. And the text stated they were not included.

Point taken that the info was easy to miss when purchase speed was priority!

So glad many of you are getting boards for Chipmas!
  • cheezus wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    cheezus wrote: »
    I tried underscores first but I tried whitespace and neither one worked. I'm sure it's something stupid..

*edit
    Once I gave it some power it worked. I feel dumb now :neutral:
    Are you saying it doesn't work with just the power from the USB connection? It requires a separate power supply?

I just tested it with my desktop and had no issues. It could be the usb cord I was using too. I have some low quality cables I should just throw away already.

correct. Aux psu not required for moderate current use. The PC usb port will typically be able to supply 500mA. Using a powered hub recommended if your PC ports are already heavily loaded!

As I could understand, the issue with entering Taqoz from the terminal was the wrong autobaud sequence used. Not a usb or power connection issue.

I think we need a list of first steps connections and scripts put in one place.
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »

Ah.. seems @Cluso99 has done that a couple posts above. Fantastic. Cheers.
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    I tried underscores first but I tried whitespace and neither one worked. I'm sure it's something stupid..

*edit
    Once I gave it some power it worked. I feel dumb now :neutral:
    Are you saying it doesn't work with just the power from the USB connection? It requires a separate power supply?

I just tested it with my desktop and had no issues. It could be the usb cord I was using too. I have some low quality cables I should just throw away already.

correct. Aux psu not required for moderate current use. The PC usb port will typically be able to supply 500mA. Using a powered hub recommended if your PC ports are already heavily loaded!

As I could understand, the issue with entering Taqoz from the terminal was the wrong autobaud sequence used. Not a usb or power connection issue.

It was a couple issues, I was using the wrong sequence first but I also had a bad usb cable. I noticed the led brightness increase when I plugged in the brick. I've also noticed some of my usb devices have a "weak power on" sequence. IE when plugged in, leds are dim until port is enumerated. I did consider ordering a USB cord, I guess hindsight's 20/20.

The main issue was a failure to RTFM! Funny thing is I read the paragraph with the sequence to enter TaqOZ more than once.. Blame the excitement. TaqOZ is pretty well documented, just trying to get my head around it right now. Just playing with blinky leds but I'm very happy we have this interactive REPL. It should make things really easy to test once I understand it a little better.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,009
    edited 2018-12-23 08:37
    Yeah, every app that I've got wants to export the .mov file into an .m4v, which the forum SW doesn't seem to like... Oh well:-)

You can convert m4v to mp4 via VLC.

• W9GFO wrote: »

You can convert m4v to mp4 via VLC.
    That's what I thought... But, when I set mp4 as the exported type, I get mv4 and the forum won't let me attach the file.

• cheezus wrote: »
    I noticed the led brightness increase when I plugged in the brick. I've also noticed some of my usb devices have a "weak power on" sequence. IE when plugged in, leds are dim until port is enumerated.

Yes- those LEDs are powered by the 5V rail to reduce switching current interferences on common 3V3. The PC power source would usually drop a little more voltage than aux, hence the brightness difference. Well spotted! Maybe that's a feature to determine power src!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Thanks for the updates all!

@"Oldbitcollector (Jeff)" - Great to hear from you! I've missed you.
  • Is the Goertzel add on module supposed to help with Voice Recognition?
  • The USPS now says my P2-ES board will be delivered tomorrow!
  • David Betz wrote: »
    The USPS now says my P2-ES board will be delivered tomorrow!

Ditto. I should be a Chipmas!
    Is the Goertzel add on module supposed to help with Voice Recognition?

Not really. It's for cyclical measurements when you want to measure phase/delay or amplitude, especially when coupled to its own reference. It will have lots of uses, but for something like speech, ADC's and software would be better.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,009
    That's what I thought... But, when I set mp4 as the exported type, I get mv4 and the forum won't let me attach the file.
    Try just changing the extension to .mp4 and see if that works.
  • That probably will work. Browsers will render it, or at the least, offer it for download.
  • W9GFO wrote: »
    Try just changing the extension to .mp4 and see if that works.
    I had tried that...

• Mine is already under way. Since I'm in Portugal, I'll get it in January. Probably it Will be served with an hefty customs charge, but I don't mind.
    cgracey wrote: »
    We are going to have a bunch of add-on boards arriving right after Christmas which we will build soon. This will give everyone VGA, HDMI, USB, audio, Goertzel, lights, buttons, etc.
    Niiiiiice!
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    just value added tax and tariffs about 5€
    My P2ES is in Sydney Australia and now due for delivery Thursday 27th :smiley:
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2018-12-24 00:59
    Merry Chipmas!

I just had to do it...

Chris Wardell