Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
what are the symptoms of a ADC (MCP3202, MCP3204 or MCP3208) going bad? — Parallax Forums

what are the symptoms of a ADC (MCP3202, MCP3204 or MCP3208) going bad?

courtenscourtens Posts: 101
edited 2017-08-23 23:51 in General Discussion
I have a control box that uses 4 MCP3208 chips. Some time ago I switched out my power supply and did not check how clean the 3.3VDC looked on the scope. Now, 4 months later things have started to act strangely. My control unit started to act up. and sure enough; the power supply had a extremely strong ripple (well over 0.7VDC), but a capacitor fixed that. Could that ripple have caused the ADC to go bad?

After doing some troubleshooting I discovered that one of the ADC is bleeding the CLK signal from pin 7 right back out through Vin on pin 2. (Note, for reference, image of ADC is a MCP3202, not a MCP3208). This bleed through did not look right. Is this a symptom of a ADV gone bad? Vin is sourced by a 100K pot. (I should have used a 10K, but it used to work with a 100K pot, just fine.)
mcp3204.gif
In addition, I noticed a very strange time related phenomena. Over time, Vin slowly creeps down to 0VDC. When I set the pot to somewhere in the middle (1.6DC) and turn the unit on, at first it's all good; but about 2-3 minutes later, Vin has dropped significantly, and keeps on dropping all the way to 0VDC. It stays put at 0VDC and now to get back to 1.6VDC, I need to turn the pot to about 3/4 of a turn towards 3.3VDC. I can repeat this, by turning the unit off. I can't understand what is happening.

Comments

• Is Vref holding steady all this time?

I'm guessing, but if Vin was ever over Vref it may cause some internal damage that could cause /CS to show up where it shouldn't. It might be time to replace it, if the wiring is good.

How are your grounds setup, are digital and analog on the ADC tied together? If so it might be too noisy, especially if you have more than one ADC.

Check this article - http://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/articles/grounding-again.html

• courtenscourtens Posts: 101
    edited 2017-08-24 18:30
    I do think there is the chance with that bad power supply in place, for Vin to have gone over Vref. Vref has no cap, and Vin had a cap that could have held a charge over 0.7V of Vref.

All the grounds are tied together. Thanks for the helpful link.
  • MCP3208 Datasheet

Per Microchip, any input or output that exceeds Vdd + 0.6V may cause permanent damage.

I am guessing from the image and description that Vdd = Vref, and that each Vin source was also powered by Vdd (albeit with some time-shifting capacitance). A power supply ripple "well over 0.7Vdc" could certainly create a damaging scenario.
  • In addition to the cap, does analog Vin have a resistor to AGND?

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    courtens wrote: »
    I have a control box that uses 4 MCP3208 chips. .

Do all 4 chips behave/fail the same way ?

What you describe is roughly consistent with a bad or damaged Vdd connection.
    With no proper power, CLK ends up 'powering' the device, but rather poorly.
    Time related issues could also be something now floating.

• I use dip sockets on my projects just in case I have to swap out an IC for troubleshooting. I use an ref02 for the reference voltage so I can dial in exactly. So replace them and see if the problem goes away. Do you use decoupling caps. on your IC's ?? I've run into problems with the mc3208 if the clk and data lines are too long. Finally I can see problems with mc3208 if the data bits on the channels get funky. Like freezing up or going to a full count on all channels normally this happen if you over voltage the Vin.
    edited 2017-08-24 19:40
    xanadu wrote: »
    In addition to the cap, does analog Vin have a resistor to AGND?
    yes - Vin has a 0.1uF cap and a 10K resistor.

Maybe I should have sourced all the pots with lower voltage to be on the safe side with Vin not maxing out!

• jmg wrote: »
    Do all 4 chips behave/fail the same way ?
    Most Vin's are on/off switches; but I do have some pots, a slider, and a joystick. One pot is sourcing two different ADC's, each ADC is connected to a different Prop QuickStart Board.
    I replaced one - which fixed the problem for that part of the unit. Finding out which other IC's to replace should not be too difficult...

• DigitalBob wrote: »
    Do you use decoupling caps. on your IC's ??
    Yes, all IC's have their own 0.1uF decoupling cap.
    DigitalBob wrote: »
    I've run into problems with the mc3208 if the clk and data lines are too long.
    My longs line is 76mm (not overly long)
    pcb.gif
    edited 2017-08-24 20:47
    Is Vref holding steady all this time?
    The PC power supply is really crappy. It took 15minutes to warm up and get passed its "acting-up" -- throwing large ripples phase. It would also sometimes slowly (over seconds) swing down to avg. 2.8 and back up to avg. 3.8 during warmup. At times it is good, for short periods of time. Picture taken when it is not swinging, but not good. Vpp is 0.7V!

vdd_cold.jpg
    How are your grounds setup, are digital and analog on the ADC tied together? If so it might be too noisy, especially if you have more than one ADC.
    I have been having some ground issues. My unit (control-box) is hocked up to multiple devices. The motor and strobe "network" are isolated -- they have their own power supply and do not share ground. But a TV (via Video) and a camera (via HD analog Y) have the ground tied together. The camera and the control-box share the same power supply. The camera is also hocked up to a PC (via HD-SDI), and the PC sometimes has a problem locking up to the camera's HD-SDI signal. It can take multiple very frustrating attempts (turning thins on and off) to get it to find the signal. I found that disconnecting the camera from the control-box and completely unplugging the TV's power cord can help the PC fined the camera -- sometimes. But whatever is going on is frustrating.

For now I will replace the faulty ADC's and lower the Vin's voltage, in order to create a safety margin.

• You could always use the 5 V rail of your power supply with a DC-DC drop down to a steady 3.3 V.

How many amps at 3.3 V do you need?

There are a lot on eBay.

• PC PSUs are designed for heavy loads and aren't spec'd for what essentially is standby mode where very little current is drawn. They could in fact be operating in a kind of "hiccup" :) mode and this may be what you are seeing. Always best to use one or more LDOs as you need them sourced from 5V and it wouldn't hurt to have separate regs for the A/D and the CPU.

As for the long traces all they need is some kind of series resistance or termination. If you always allow for extra parts on your PCB design then it doesn't mean that you have to place them, but it does give you the option of doing so later. Once you insert series components though it's only a matter then of the value that you use.

Btw, I can't help but ask why so many SMD PCB designs bother to try and display the component designators on the silk screen? This was the standard back in the old DIP days when components were far larger but they are hardly legible and not at all useful on a final PCB although I do have designators on an inactive mechanical layer for reference but normally I print the component values along with the silk screen and pad layer plus outline as a zoomed print to fit a printed page. This is then used as a clear to read guide for manual pcb assembly and the pcb itself stays nice and uncluttered with more room for useful information about signals and labels etc.
  • I have my own mcp3208 PCB's that I use in my projects . It has the mcp3208 dip, ref02 dip with trim pot, 8 ea. Op07 amplifiers that I divide down to give me a 10 volt input. I use +15/-15 volt supply for the op07's then a lm7805 reg tapped off the + 15 supply for ref and 3208 power on the board all have decouple caps. I'm using a 10 pin header ribbon cable to carry clk and data signal to my prop board. Now I've only had glitches if I make the ribbon cable more than 6"-8" long.
    I have a mcp3208 spin object that I run using an lcd screen and Labview either at the same time or independent. It displays 4095 total bit for max. Voltage. So if I have an over voltage or cable glitch I can see it on the bit display. If the bits freeze or all channels start reading max bits at the same time when only testing one channel I know there is a problem. It Could be cable noise, over voltage, bad IC etc. I like dip so I can just swap it out.
    In your case if you have another board and bench power supply to test it.