Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cubiio laser engraver — Parallax Forums

Cubiio laser engraver

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
edited 2017-08-21 23:14 in General Discussion
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/880456201/cubiio-the-most-compact-laser-engraver

Anybody think this is a good idea? I don't believe the developers have thought very far through the obvious product liability issues. Then there's this statement: "Of course, the details of virtual lens algorithm are patented and confidential." If it's patented, it's not confidential. 'Can't have it both ways.

Still, they've been pledged 3400% of their $25K goal. We'll see if they can deliver and what happens after that. Besides, what could possibly go wrong?

-Phil

Comments

• Looks like a dangerous deal to me, the high power Laser should be permently pointed to a target bed. Not to be moved around by hand during operation. Somebody's going to get burned.
  • I'd get one if it could etch circuit boards, alas no.
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    Looks like a dangerous deal to me, the high power Laser should be permently pointed to a target bed. Not to be moved around by hand during operation. Somebody's going to get burned.
    They mention an accelerometer which shuts it off if it detects movement, and even a simple design on a macaron takes 32 seconds so it's not that high powered.

No more dangerous than a wood-burning tool.
  • Both patented and confidential make sense. What that tells me is they made a claim, and it's not inclusive of all they are doing.

As for danger. If it's going to shut down on movement, the risks are on par with other tools.

• Never see a bare one of these on my bench for any reason. Only with the shield box would consider it. How does motion detection protect you if in hand use? Also, if you illuminate anything reflective, then what? Where is Ralph Nader when you need him? No Sale!
  • potatohead wrote: »
    Both patented and confidential make sense. What that tells me is they made a claim, and it's not inclusive of all they are doing.

Phil's point is well taken. If it's patented they had to disclose the invention. If their invention requires an additional element not disclosed in order to behave in the manner described in the claim(s), the patent office will not look favorably upon this. If they are relying on a patented (and therefore publicly disclosed) algorithm PLUS a trade secret enhancement, their choice of wording is poor and simply invites this kind of skepticism.

• Keep in mind that this Kickstarter is Taiwan based, so words like patented, confidential, quality, etc, etc, have different meanings than those found in the Oxford dictionary.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2017-08-23 06:38
    Patent, shmatent.

Who cares? They have almost a million dollars in the bank.

Not bad going.

• Where is Ralph Nader when you need him? No Sale!

It's like everything else, we are the crash dummies. No clinical trials, no controlled testing with a volunteer test group.
    Your it, I think it's crazy, but maybe they will sell good and be able to off-set legal problems.

Good old Ralpf Nader, still working hard for the little guy.

https://nader.org/
    Heater. wrote: »
    Patent, shmatent.

Who cares? They have almost a million dollars in the bank.

Not bad going.

That number can attract a good lawyer or two.
  • It also occurs to me that the FBI, treasury, state and local law enforcement would have serious concerns over this device as it is hand held and could be quite portable. Just look at what the ID10TS with green laser pointers have been up to. That's a lot of power in a careless or deliberately criminal hand.
  • It's neat that it can print on things too large to fit inside of your typical laser engraver. It needs a Scribbler to ride around on.
  • xanadu wrote: »
    It's neat that it can print on things too large to fit inside of your typical laser engraver

Woohoo, I am above "typical", lol. I am rather spoiled with a 24"x36" bed and 12" depth for material on my Epilog Legend EXT 75 watt CO2 laser.

I also find it interesting how they mention safety and that it comes with goggles, yet not a single person is shown wearing them in the video. Also, they don't show the alignment process in the main video.

Wonder if their "virtual lens algorithm" was hijacked from Algolux....
    https://www.dpreview.com/articles/4001280705/algolux-aims-to-simplify-lens-design-through-computational-imaging

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Doesn't seem very high powered to me.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2017-08-24 16:20
    It also occurs to me that the FBI, treasury, state and local law enforcement

Curiously enough, it is the Food and Drug Administration that has authority over regulating lasers and their use in the United States, and they have quite wide latitude in preventing a device like this from even being imported. There are too many eBay sellers of overpowered lasers to catch them all, but a KS project like this is bound to raisetheir attention.

The KS listing does say they are seeking FDA certification, but it's far from a sure bet they'll get it, and to become compliant will almost certainly add to the cost. Being portable and not enclosed, the device might be considered like a laser light show projector, which requires variances for each user. That'll be fun.

• A righteous rant by a professional laser guy:

http://www.funraniumlabs.com/2017/08/laser-products-hate/
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    seems like they are missing a fairly large market geekologie.com/2017/07/china-selling-anti-pervert-personal-flam.php