BS2 Catalex MP3 Amplified Speaker

Nothing really new other than shoving the Catalex MP3 player inside a Dollar Tree amplified speaker, but I figured I'd start a properly-titled thread with a video and some BS2 code to jumpstart anyone who's searching the forum to get all the info needed. These MP3 modules work great and are under $3 now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/112042307835
Manual at http://geekmatic.in.ua/pdf/Catalex_MP3_board.pdf
Code after the video.

' {$STAMP BS2}
' {$PBASIC 2.5}
' {$PORT COM4}

PAUSE 500
SEROUT 15,84,[$7E,$FF,$06,$0c,$00,$00,$00,$EF]'; reset chip
PAUSE 500
SEROUT 15,84,[$7E,$FF,$06,$09,$00,$00,$02,$EF]   'Select TF socket on Catalex
PAUSE 500
SEROUT 15,84,[$7E,$FF,$06,$06,$00,$00,$1E,$EF]   ' Set volume (0x1Eis30)
PAUSE 500
B0=01

DO
DEBUG DEC B0
SEROUT 15,84,[$7E,$FF,$06,$03,$00,$00,B0,$EF]
PAUSE 4000
B0=B0+1
LOOP
"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Date Added Votes
  • Nice, simple, effective. Thanks, Erco.

I tried a few MP3 modules over the past decade, and all left something to be desired. This one has been in my Wish List on Aliexpress for perhaps a year ($2.24 each, as of today).

From the demo, there are two details that I really appreciate. First, there does not seem to be a lag between sending the Play command and actual playback. Second, another Play command can be sent even while a track is playing.

A few years ago, I did a write-up on TDB380 module (pseudonym phatallica, due to very extensive log-in technical difficulties). There may be cases where it is a better solution (i.e. you can send a series of commands and they will be buffered and processed automatically). Otherwise, the Catalex module seems to be better in every other category.

On another site - sorry, I do not recall which - it was noted that YX5300 has a BSY signal which is not brought out to the header. However, when playback is complete, the TX pin seems to respond with some information. I have not delved into the Chinese version of the data sheet to make sense of it, this looks like it could satisfy anyone that needs to know when a track has completed.