Monopedal Jumping Robot "Salto"

ercoerco Posts: 18,063
edited June 30 in Robotics Vote Up0Vote Down
OK, this is one I'd be hard pressed to duplicate with a BS1, relays, and plywood.

Published on Jun 29, 2017
Salto is a small jumping robot from UC Berkeley's Biomimetic Millisystems Lab. With the addition of aerodynamic thrusters for out-of-plane orientation control, the upgraded Salto-1P demonstrates repeated free hopping in a Vicon motion capture environment. This work will be presented at the 2017 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems.

More at http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/robotics-hardware/salto1p-is-the-most-amazing-jumping-robot-weve-ever-seen

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • I love that it sounds like it is laughing with joy on each jump ... but I was hoping to see it complete a figure-8.
  • ercoerco Posts: 18,063
    Oooooh you just gave me an idea for a new vertical figure 8... Will advise!
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • That is the coolest bot!
  • Neat robot. Reading the article it sounds like it has more in common with a helicopter control system than anything else. It jumps to get airborne and then uses thrusters and reaction torque to control it's position.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,672
    Amazing! Straight to my blog.
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    Whit wrote: »
    Amazing! Straight to my blog.

Nice! But without a link, it never happened, Padre!

- Pablo Picasso
    erco wrote: »
    Nice! But without a link, it never happened, Padre!

Oh it happened! http://roboticsunderthestole.blogspot.com/2017/07/jumping-robot.html

Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    Blessed are those who believe without seeing...

Forgive my many weaknesses, Whit! :)

- Pablo Picasso

There is a reason my first name is Thomas...

Whit+

There's no denying it, Peter!

- Pablo Picasso
  • Whit wrote: »

There is a reason my first name is Thomas...
    As in the one who doubts?
    Jim

Doubting Thomas, Skeptical Simon and Leery Luke asked, ""But how shall we Figure 8? We have but 5 batteries and two wheels."

Hither comest the Boebot and Boeboost modules. Final sale, only 7 left!

- Pablo Picasso
    HA!

Whit+

Surely you know the parable of the Good Samaribot! Don't hide your bot under a bushel! Robots, honor thy builder and programmer!

- Pablo Picasso