Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PCBs for ADC Chips (MCP3208 and ADC124S021) — Parallax Forums

PCBs for ADC Chips (MCP3208 and ADC124S021)

I recently wired up an ADC chip (MCP3208) on a piece of perf board and I was again surprised how long it can take to make the needed connections.

To save myself the bother of wiring up one of these chips in the future, I decided to fire up DipTrace and design a quick PCB.

As you can see it costs $5.75 to have three of these boards made as OSHPark.

Mcp3208Pcb161219.PNG

The MCP3208 chips I have on hand are DIP packages.

I also have some of the small ADC chips used in the Propeller Activity Board. This is the ADC124S021 four channel chip. I make another PCB for this chip.

Adc124s021_161218a.PNG

As you can see, this smaller board is just $2.90 for three boards.

Both boards include a pin which will jumper the data out pin to the data in pin. This reduces the number of pins required to communicate with the chip.

The MCP3208 board includes a place to add a voltage divider for the last two channels.

Both boards include pads for adding capacitors to the analog inputs.

Here are the top and bottom layers of both boards. If any of you have suggestions on how to improve the board, I hope you let me know.

Mcp3208_161218bTop.PNG

Mcp3208_161218bBottom.PNG

Adc124s021_161218aTop.PNG

Adc124s021_161218aBottom.PNG

I've attached the zipped Gerber files and schematics for these two boards. These are the same Gerber files I submitted to OSHPark.

I haven't tested these boards yet. I'll update this thread once I receive and test the PCBs.
617 x 494 - 81K
572 x 502 - 57K
365 x 457 - 24K
376 x 457 - 21K
343 x 629 - 34K
343 x 629 - 29K
1773 x 1129 - 129K
1423 x 1079 - 134K

Comments

• Very nice, Duane. There is a lack of breakout boards designed specifically for ADCs.

• Did you get them?³

• xanadu wrote: »
    Did you get them?³
    Yes, I received them a couple days ago but I haven't had a chance to solder one up yet.

I'll try to do so in the next day or two.

Here's a picture of the bare boards.

AdcPcbs170104a.jpg
    843 x 855 - 267K
  • Excellent.
  • The boards look great and it's sure hard to beat the price :)
  • Nice work Duane. I'll be checking this thread for updates. A recent project I posted about using pasm to control four DC motors like servos uses all eight ADC channels. It works but it's still on a breadboard at the moment because I set it aside to work on a project for someone else
  • Duane,
    Did you ever get these boards built and tested?
    Jim
  • RS_Jim wrote: »
    Duane,
    Did you ever get these boards built and tested?
    Jim

I built them, and I keep thinking I'll use them in a robot and share a video of the robot in action as a report on these PCB. Obviously I haven't done this.

I'll give these a boring but quick test right now.

• The PCB for the ADC124S021 appears to work correctly. I used it with JonnyMac's "jm_adc124s021_demo.spin".
  • The MCP3208 PCB also works correctly.

I tested the ADC124S021 using both MOSI and MISO pins.

The MCP3208 was tested using a single I/O pin.

Both boards have a place where a jumper can be added so the MOSI and MISO lines are shared with a single I/O pin on the Prop.

The MISO lines on both boards pass through R1 to protect the Propeller when running these chips at 5V. I used a 10K ohm resistors for all the resistor values.

Besides the MISO lines, there's also a resistor (R2) to pull the CS line high on both boards.

The last two channels on the MCP3208 pass through pins which may used as a voltage divider. If anyone has questions on how to use these pins (with appropriate resistors) as a voltage divider, let me know and I'll try to explain.

I'll likely make a breakout board for the I2C ADC used in the Propeller Board of Education.
  • Cool
  • Thanks for letting us use your design. I will order some 3208 asap.